• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mental health check part of LTC process now?

Are you serious?

I am. A friend of mine lives there. The town is sharon. I know North Andover used to require a Doctors letter, but they recently stopped.

LICENSE TO CARRY FIREARMS (NEW APPLICANTS AND FIRST TIME RENEWALS
FROM OTHER TOWNS)
- Must be 21 years of age.
- Complete application and payment
- Must complete a certified firearms safety or hunter
education course. (Certificate Required)
- Three letters of reference from Non-Family members stating
their opinion of applicants’ suitability to possess a
firearm.
- Physicians letter stating applicants suitability to carry
firearms

http://www.townofsharon.net/sites/sharonma/files/file/file/firearmsid.pdf

I know that my in my North Shore town - anyone who confesses having been to drug/alcohol rehab facility is required to get a letter from a psychiatrist stating they are "cured."

Kind of a bitch for someone who may have checked in for a vacation in their late teens to a facility that doesnt exist anymore , ran before computers were invented , and the doctors are long dead.

Dear Doctor NeverMetYouBefore ,
I would like you to go on record that I am cured of alcoholism so I can carry a firearm concealed in Massachusetts. I promise you wont get dragged into court if I , or the State , or Federal Government goes batshit nutty in the future.

Yours Truly ,
Anonymous pro Constitutional shooting sports enthusiast.

I know of at least one guy who walked away from the hassle without gaining the permission to have rights.

I am. A friend of mine lives there. The town is sharon. I know North Andover used to require a Doctors letter, but they recently stopped.

http://www.townofsharon.net/sites/sharonma/files/file/file/firearmsid.pdf

I would encourage someone to obtain such a letter from either a dentist or a chiropractor. Surely there is someone here that is technically a physician / doctor but utterly unrelated to mental health, eyesight or anything the PD would be interested in.

To whom it may concern:

John Doe's orthodontic health is exceptional and as such he is suitable to carry firearms.

Sincerely,
Dr. Alan Feinstone

The VA reports it. There are people who might benefit from some kind of counseling who are not doing it, for fear of being denied their second amendment rights. My neighbor is a VA psychiatrist, we've had this conversation. Whether Mass has access to the info, I don't know.

The VA reports what to whom?

Back
Top Bottom