Men are such wimps

Buck F

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have considered doing just that, but my better half hasn't felt comfortable with it. Also, what happens if you need a $200k surgery? Can you sign up for insurance after the fact? I have also toyed with self-insuring and banking the premiums. Kids are minors too...
No, they won’t touch you after the fact... that’s those pesky pre-existing conditions that liberals whine about Not being covered.

Buck F

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
But we were told that is why we need to keep Obamacare and that's why McCain gave the thumbs down on the Republican (weak) effort to repair it. :rolleyes:
What Republicans were trying to avoid was people buying insurance after the fact; people who didn’t carry insurance and then when diagnosed w something they would try and buy insurance to cover it. The Republican plans did not cancel anyone’s existing insurance due to a pre-existing condition or limit someone with current insurance from obtaining new insurance. But it made a good sound bite for the the Left waaaah orange man bad, no pre-existing conditions!

Reactions: TLB

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I have considered doing just that, but my better half hasn't felt comfortable with it. Also, what happens if you need a $200k surgery? Can you sign up for insurance after the fact? I have also toyed with self-insuring and banking the premiums. Kids are minors too...
what if? this is what keeps insurance companies in business. they play on your fear. Bottom line is if you need a surgery you will get it. We actually have some pretty good medical insurance through our auto policy as we are much more likely to be in a car accident than get cancer or have a heart attack. Most/all auto policies provide some level of medical coverage. And if I am injured at the fault of another driver and they have insurance or assets or not, they will end up paying.

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
That’s all fine and dandy if nothing major happens. My cancer cost around $400k during a two year span (three surgeries,chemo, radiation). Maybe if I shopped around I’d have gotten it for $250k-$300k? Kid’s emergency appendectomy was around $100k.
everyone needs to measure their own level of risk they are willing to take. But without ACA we would be able to buy low cost catastrophic insurance like the good ole days.

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
No, they won’t touch you after the fact... that’s those pesky pre-existing conditions that liberals whine about Not being covered.
are you saying you can't get insurance after being diagnosed? they absolutely cannot deny you coverage for pre-existing conditions according to the ACA. That's part of the problem with the ACA. Insurance companies have to cover the cost of people signing up AFTER being diagnosed so they hose everyone already paying for insurance.

Buck F

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
are you saying you can't get insurance after being diagnosed? they absolutely cannot deny you coverage for pre-existing conditions according to the ACA. That's part of the problem with the ACA. Insurance companies have to cover the cost of people signing up AFTER being diagnosed so they hose everyone already paying for insurance.
They can’t deny coverage with pre-existing conditions IF you have had continuous coverage, switching employer, etc. There are limitations if you had a lapse in coverage and try and buy insurance w pre-existing conditions - as there should be. Otherwise no one would buy coverage until they needed it which would defeat it’s purpose. Or there were last time I looked at it which was a year or two ago (I’m self employed, buy my own insurance)

Reactions: TLB

Buck F

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
what if? this is what keeps insurance companies in business. they play on your fear. Bottom line is if you need a surgery you will get it. We actually have some pretty good medical insurance through our auto policy as we are much more likely to be in a car accident than get cancer or have a heart attack. Most/all auto policies provide some level of medical coverage. And if I am injured at the fault of another driver and they have insurance or assets or not, they will end up paying.
Most MA auto policies provide up to $2K medical coverage under the PIP portion of the policy. You can buy optional Medical Payments coverage which most companies limit to $25K or $50K. And that helps if you’re injured in a car accident but nothing else. If the other party is at fault and they have state minimum limits you’ll get $20k, if you have higher Uninsured/Underinsured Auto limits your may be able to collect there. Car insurance does NOT provide medical coverage, at best it’s low limit injury insurance. If you end up suing them it’ll take a couple/few years for you to recover. You won’t get their assets in most cases.

Buck F

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
what if? this is what keeps insurance companies in business. they play on your fear.
And they pay for your losses. Do you own a home? Do you have homeowners insurance? You already mentioned you have car Insurance so I guess you’re paying into that scam? Insurance companies could give a shit less about your fears, they cover your risks. Everyone has a different appetite for risk and a different financial ability to bear the burden of that risk. Thats what keeps insurance companies in business. <edit> do you buy the extended warranty plans on cars? appliances?

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
And they pay for your losses. Do you own a home? Do you have homeowners insurance? You already mentioned you have car Insurance so I guess you’re paying into that scam? Insurance companies could give a shit less about your fears, they cover your risks. Everyone has a different appetite for risk and a different financial ability to bear the burden of that risk. Thats what keeps insurance companies in business. <edit> do you buy the extended warranty plans on cars? appliances?
don't own a home. have renter's insurance as that's required by the property owner. auto insurance as that's required by the state. at least my auto insurance is based (mostly) on my own driving record and claims history. I bought one extended warranty on an appliance for 5 years (super cheap) that gave me in home service on my fridge and was transferable. had to use it in 2 years. But I CHOSE to buy the extended warranty on the fridge. I wasn't forced by the state. Health insurance would be a better deal if they actually looked at the person's HEALTH and based premiums off that instead of rating every female/male of a certain age the same. At 49 I am on zero prescriptions, my BP and blood sugars are "perfect." My weight is well within acceptable limits. My last round of blood work was all good, etc. But if I want health insurance I have to pay for coverage I don't need based on "averages" of an obese population taking 11 prescriptions daily.

quincy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Co-pays are not the same as a deductible.

Minimum Creditable Coverage (MCC)
Minimum Creditable Coverage (MCC) is the minimum level of benefits that you need to be considered insured and avoid tax penalties in Massachusetts. These benefits include:
  • Coverage for a comprehensive set of services (e.g. doctors visits, hospital admissions, day surgery, emergency services, mental health and substance abuse, and prescription drug coverage).
  • Doctor visits for preventive care, without a deductible.
  • A cap on annual deductibles of $2,000 for an individual and $4,000 for a family.
  • For plans with up-front deductibles or co-insurance on core services, an annual maximum on out-of-pocket spending of no more than the annual limit set by the IRS for high deductible health plans. In 2014, out-of-pocket costs are limited to $6,350 for an individual plan and $12,700 for a family plan.
  • No caps on total benefits for a particular illness or for a single year.
  • No policy that covers only a fixed dollar amount per day or stay in the hospital, with the patient responsible for all other charges.
  • For policies that have a separate prescription drug deductible, it cannot exceed $250 for an individual or $500 for a family.
I meant deductibles. Oops.

Wickedcoolname

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No, it doesn't give them the flu any more than it guarantees you won't GET the flu.

But it CAN and reasonably often DOES yield a bad reaction that some people will attribute as the flu.

Don't be an illness nazi. Just accept that when somebody doesn't feel well they'll tack the word "flu" onto any body part that ails them at the moment. I had the back flu a couple weeks ago. I know a gal that called in sick once, with the 24-hour pneumonia.
Tha back flu. That's like saying you have a kneecap headache.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I am definitely no hard ass or anything, but I was just raised to suck it the hell up. I never went to the doctor as a kid or an adult for the sniffles. What??

CCW

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider yourself lucky if an ER visit only cost you 125 bucks. About 7 or 8 years ago my wife woke me up at 3am and told me she needs to go to the ER. She had crippling abdominal pain and could barely stand let alone walk. She had been dealing with the pain for a few hours up to that point debating weather it was worth a trip to the ER. I got her to the ER and within an hour of her being admitted, she started the feel better. The only thing the ER did was give her an aspirin. They charged me $1,800 for that aspirin!!! Made up my mind then and there I wouldn't go to the ER unless I had a body part falling off of me or I was near death.

I work for a major player in the Health Care industry and I swear we have one of the worst health care plans you can imagine. It was pretty good before Obama got elected but since 2008, our plan gets worse every year. This past year took the prize though. Our health care provider was switched over to a health care company we had just acquired. You would think that being owners of a health insurance provider, the company would be able to negotiate a better deal for it's employees....Nope. Not only did my premium go up more than my annual pay increast last year, but they also raised my deductable. Talk about a kick in the balls.....

About 20 tears ago now my uncle's GF woke him up in the middle of the night saying she had a soar throat and the pain was beyond anything she'd ever felt. She said she wanted him to take her to the ER. He was all like for a soar throat? at 1 AM? No we aint doing it.

Later that morning he found her dead on the living room couch from a heart attack. I made up my mind then and there that a life is worth more than the aggravation of being woken up at night or eating a copay. I'll never hesitate to call 911 for or go to the ER. YMMV.....

bauer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I shattered my wrist playing ice hockey about 3 years ago and gleefully walked around the ER with a visibly deflected fracture for about four hours (no pain meds) while a young woman on a stretcher in the hallway was writhing in pain from what appeared to be an in grown toe nail and looking at me in horror.

I had strep throat last month and thought I was going to die (took me 3 weeks and two separate antibiotics to kick it and I bitched the entire time).

Anecdotal, but there may be something to the deviation in pain/illness thresholds between the genders

cockpitbob

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I had the back flu a couple weeks ago. I know a gal that called in sick once, with the 24-hour pneumonia.
Many years ago I called in sick due to an eye problem. It was a beautiful sunny day and I just couldn't see going in to work.

On a serious note, how TF does an appendectomy cost $100K?!?! Actually, I kind of know the answer. When the sheep are kept ignorant and not allowed to know what's going on, you can do anything to them. Has anyone here ever seen a table or pie chart showing where the money goes when the hospital collects a bill? This is the key to our health care(insurance) crisis. Shine light on the problems, add the motivation that comes with competition and solutions will start pouring in.

Reactions: KVX

Brewer

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
About 20 tears ago now my uncle's GF woke him up in the middle of the night saying she had a soar throat and the pain was beyond anything she'd ever felt. She said she wanted him to take her to the ER. He was all like for a soar throat? at 1 AM? No we aint doing it.

Later that morning he found her dead on the living room couch from a heart attack. I made up my mind then and there that a life is worth more than the aggravation of being woken up at night or eating a copay. I'll never hesitate to call 911 for or go to the ER. YMMV.....
That’s terrifying. Heart attacks can manifest in vague ways, especially in women. Many times it’s dismissed as heartburn. One case I encountered said her jaw was just oddly sore.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Many years ago I called in sick due to an eye problem. It was a beautiful sunny day and I just couldn't see going in to work.

On a serious note, how TF does an appendectomy cost $100K?!?! Actually, I kind of know the answer. When the sheep are kept ignorant and not allowed to know what's going on, you can do anything to them. Has anyone here ever seen a table or pie chart showing where the money goes when the hospital collects a bill? This is the key to our health care(insurance) crisis. Shine light on the problems, add the motivation that comes with competition and solutions will start pouring in.
I was kidding about having the back flu. Sadly, I was NOT kidding about the gal with the 24 pneumonia.

Buck F

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

My daughter spent 8 days in the Hospital for her emergency appendectomy (at a large well known Childrens hospital). I imagine the bill was well North of $100K

Buck F

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
don't own a home. have renter's insurance as that's required by the property owner. auto insurance as that's required by the state. at least my auto insurance is based (mostly) on my own driving record and claims history. I bought one extended warranty on an appliance for 5 years (super cheap) that gave me in home service on my fridge and was transferable. had to use it in 2 years. But I CHOSE to buy the extended warranty on the fridge. I wasn't forced by the state. Health insurance would be a better deal if they actually looked at the person's HEALTH and based premiums off that instead of rating every female/male of a certain age the same. At 49 I am on zero prescriptions, my BP and blood sugars are "perfect." My weight is well within acceptable limits. My last round of blood work was all good, etc. But if I want health insurance I have to pay for coverage I don't need based on "averages" of an obese population taking 11 prescriptions daily.
We have vastly different financial/risk philosophies. If you live in Texas, your credit rating has as much if not more to do with your auto insurance rate than your driving record does.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How they can't grasp the concept is beyond me. Like can I buy homeowners insurance the day after my house burns down and get a new house? Insurance companies are so greeeeeeeedy for not giving people new houses after paying a 1 day prorated premium of like $5.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree, to an extent. There's a lot of bullshit with pooled risk products but that's how it works. It's not fair that as a cigar smoker with marginally higher cancer risk than non smokers I have to pay an add on premium the same as someone who huffs down 2 packs of cigarettes a day, or that the morbidly obese fat ass doesn't have to pay an additional premium despite the fact that obesity probably costs the healthcare system 10X what tobacco use does yet like tobacco is 100% preventable.

The state should absolutely not be allowed to compel health coverage and the SCOUTS screwed the pooch on that....but anyone dumb enough to not have it shouldn't expect a bit of help when something happens.

No offense but you're healthy now. That could change in an instant and it could have nothing to do with your BP or sugar...You could get paralyzed in a car accident tomorrow.....guess how much that costs? My old boss had a tree come down on him during a snow storm 2 years ago. Chest down paralyzed...his care is likely well into the millions by now. Perfectly healthy people at healthy weights with good BP and sugar levels get diagnosed with cancer every day. Trust me, you can't afford to treat that on your own.

Health coverage is the financially prudent avenue. Your name Penny Pincher suggests frugality and fiscal responsibility but purposely not getting insurance would be a truly financially boneheaded thing to do.

Buck F

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Perfectly healthy people at healthy weights with good BP and sugar levels get diagnosed with cancer every day. Trust me, you can't afford to treat that on your own.
That happened to me. It happens to a lot of people. And there are all manner of accidents, injuries and other conditions that can befall someone who's healthy and maintains a good lifestyle.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They can’t deny coverage with pre-existing conditions IF you have had continuous coverage, switching employer, etc. There are limitations if you had a lapse in coverage and try and buy insurance w pre-existing conditions - as there should be. Otherwise no one would buy coverage until they needed it which would defeat it’s purpose. Or there were last time I looked at it which was a year or two ago (I’m self employed, buy my own insurance)
this is where i radically depart from the GOP party line. There are PLENTY of people who can not afford insurance out there, decide to roll the dice and take a chance, and end up with cancer...and are f***ED! I had a plasterer whose wife ended up with breast cancer....doctors would not even give her the time of day because she did not have insurance coverage....
Imagine that! You make enough money so you can not get on the government dole, but nobody will help your wife dying from cancer!

There needs to be a "no pre-existing condition" clause!
There does NOT need to be health care for illegal aliens...send them the heck back home.
But red blooded American citizens? They need access to affordable health care!

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is where i radically depart from the GOP party line. There are PLENTY of people who can not afford insurance out there, decide to roll the dice and take a chance, and end up with cancer...and are f***ED! I had a plasterer whose wife ended up with breast cancer....doctors would not even give her the time of day because she did not have insurance coverage....
Imagine that! You make enough money so you can not get on the government dole, but nobody will help your wife dying from cancer!

There needs to be a "no pre-existing condition" clause!
There does NOT need to be health care for illegal aliens...send them the heck back home.
But red blooded American citizens? They need access to affordable health care!
That's not how insurance works.

I feel bad for someone who cannot afford homeowner's insurance who has a fire, but I shouldn't be on the hook for it.

I paid in diligently as a self-employed for years and years. Along comes that stale-cream-and-coffee-creature out of Chicago, and my decent plan turns into something that, after paying the premiums, I cannot afford to use it. I DID THE RIGHT THING, for YEARS, and paid in, and I'm f***ed.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's not how insurance works.

I feel bad for someone who cannot afford homeowner's insurance who has a fire, but I shouldn't be on the hook for it.

I paid in diligently as a self-employed for years and years. Along comes that stale-cream-and-coffee-creature out of Chicago, and my decent plan turns into something that, after paying the premiums, I cannot afford to use it. I DID THE RIGHT THING, for YEARS, and paid in, and I'm f***ed.
that is not how COMMERCIAL PRIVATE INSURANCE works.
But that IS how obamacare works.

Before the GOP throws Obamacare under the bus, they had damn well better have an affordable solution for the millions of people out there with pre-existing conditions, and or no insurance....or they will never win another national election again!
I am not saying make it a total freebie....but there has to be compassion for hard working Americans who just had some bad health luck!

Top Bottom