Men are such wimps

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My father would always get a pretty bad stomach ache after eating Thanksgiving dinner. His doctor said it was his gallbladder. He had it removed, and continued having issues, but slightly different, if I remember it right. So, don't overlook gallbladder, which helps process fats, I think.

beaker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I am the opposite. If something aint bleeding, or so outside of the normal range, it takes an act of God for me to go to the Doc. "It's viral, just get rest" isnt worth the trip or the money.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you really need is to look in the mirror and realize you married a wimp. Forgive him. And then forgive yourself.
/sarc

Seriously, I work in healthcare and see plenty of people for overblown/trivial stuff. But hey, medicine isn't their thing, just like I ask some pretty basic questions with a lawyer. One time I saw a woman for belly pain. Gradually worsening for 3 days, lost her appetite, generalized ache becoming sharp in the right-lower, now starting a fever. She was noticeably sleepy and told us during intake vitals that she hates coming to the doctor. Her husband was laughing and shaking his head in the corner, saying he doesn't even push any longer because she'll go when she's had enough of whatever sickness. We immediately recognized decompensating shock. Called EMS. Just before the ambulance arrived we crossed off every piece of story and exam fitting appendicitis with likely rupture and sepsis. As they loaded her on the stretcher she said, "Jeez, I'm glad we came in. Do you think I'll stay overnight?" I didn't say she'd be lucky to have breakfast tomorrow and turns out she didn't.

She wanted to avoid coming to us for trivial stuff and her husband didn't want to push -- respectable. Couldn't have known what they were seeing -- understandable. But no doubt he regrets not coming on day 2 and still having her. I don't get annoyed any longer when someone comes for a scary unknown that turns out a minor diagnosis. Balance the tender and the tough love. Just please don't accidentally ignore something serious because he's cried wolf before. And if you're too groggy to drive him to the ER at 3:30a, you're definitely not competent to rule out an appendicitis. I don't say that because I make money on these visits. Twice before I've gone to the ER to rule out something on myself because 1) you can't be objective with yourself/family and 2) some things you just can't know without tests.

Unless you're thinking the life insurance route.
[sad]

I cannot imagine living with that.

In my case, when my family found me in the morning curled up in a ball on the couch and white as a sheet, "You're going to the hospital NOW." (Despite my protestations that I'd just take a shower and be fine.)

After the fact (and many hours in the OR), the surgeon told me (a) it was VERY acute, and (b) given the fact that your friendly neighborhood SpaceCritter is assembled oddly, he had a hard time getting to it, so he had to "take you completely apart and put you back together again." [shocked]

Last edited:

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am the opposite. If something aint bleeding, or so outside of the normal range, it takes an act of God for me to go to the Doc. "It's viral, just get rest" isnt worth the trip or the money.
That was me, but knowing I have a bad Alpha-1 gene, anything lungs or liver I have to keep on top of.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That's what I do.

Nurse Practitioners or nurses are just as good as doctors in most cases.

My insurance covers 100% of these visits, ER out of pocket is crazy though.
My insurance covers er visits IF I'm sick enough to be admitted or IF I'm well enough to go to Boston. Otherwise I'm out $200.

Of course if I'm well enough to drive to Boston chances are a clinic is fine for what ails me.

It's my understanding the mass health plans cover er visits in full. Anecdotal info. I could be wrong and I'm not checking.

M60

NES Member
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I agree that health care cost are out of control, but it is not like the doctor and nurse went out back and split the 100 bucks between them. Most decent hospitals are multi billion dollar facilities that cost millions a month just to keep the lights on.
But good hospitals are like good lawyers, they all suck, until you need them. And here in the Boston area, we are so very lucky to have some great hospitals.
You mean like Mortan hospital. lol.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
when it comes to illness or injury men are WIMPS.

husband gets a sniffle and he immediately thinks he has the flu. usually it's because he hasn't been getting enough rest. Comes home, gets to bed early. feels fine the next day. Babe, that's not how the flu works.

comes to bed last night complaining of stomach pain. this is 2nd time in a couple months. went to doc last time. Spends all night not sleeping. He SWEARS it must be food poisoning from eating rotten food. It's not. We ate the same food. I cook our meals. (yes, I know he could get FP and me not but it's extremely rare) I tell him it's probably same thing as last time. It's 1:30 am. I'm not thinking. Decide to try to sleep on the couch. Yeah, that didn't help me much. It's 3:30 am and granted this time was worse. he actually vomited. Finally at 5:30 he's in so much pain I think I will take him to the ER even though I can't think straight to drive from lack of sleep. Decide "hey, let's try a prescription pain med" we have on hand and used before. Check on him 30 minutes later, he's finally sleeping. OK great. His appendix isn't bursting. He doesn't have food poisoning, etc. Probably same thing as last time. 3 hours later he's awake so I can take him to our doc. Awesome that they have weekend hours. yep basically the same thing as last time. I figured it out and i can't FEEL HIS PAIN.
There was a study recently saying men actually feel the effects of flu/cold more than women.

I'm gonna guess that no women were involved in that study.

Roland Deschain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Maybe I am a wimp.... I get really sick like once every 2 years and I get absolutely wrecked. Then again, I work every day [65 hours a week] and hid a broken wrist from my employer for 3 months because we are a single income family.... I should try to be tougher like my wife.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That was me, but knowing I have a bad Alpha-1 gene, anything lungs or liver I have to keep on top of.
Not sure if kidding. If not, what the heck is that, and how/why do you know? You must work in the medical field, or if "alpha-1 gene" is a real thing, it is something serious only people having it would know.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if kidding. If not, what the heck is that, and how/why do you know? You must work in the medical field, or if "alpha-1 gene" is a real thing, it is something serious only people having it would know.

Edit: I'm MZ - I have one good gene (type M) and one bad (Z). The Z gene means half my liver is busily making kinked copies of Alpha-1-Antitrypsin which, instead of flowing into my bloodstream to keep my proteases from getting overzealous, polymerize (i.e. clump). So I have both a low serum A-1-A level (in my case, on the low side even given my one good gene), and potential liver impairment.

My grandmother died just north of 60 from complications of emphysema. Of course, she also smoked like a chimney.

My uncle Jack made it north of 70, but also kicked from emphysema. He was also a bit of a power drinker in his youth, so did have liver problems.

I cannot even look at cigarettes, and have told to stay clear of anything lung-impairing (e.g. jobs where there's likelihood of dust or fumes).

Last edited:

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I cannot even look at cigarettes, and have told to stay clear of anything lung-impairing (e.g. jobs where there's likelihood of dust or fumes).
I just assumed the mask in your avatar was for fun. Didn't realize it was full time.

Better than one of those bubble rooms, though.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Be thankful that in MA there's a 2000 dollar max deductible to meet the state's minimum health plan standards. Some people in other states have upwards of a 6K deductible. You want to talk about an expensive trip to the ER..

If the heart attack that sent you to the ER doesn't kill you, the bill that comes after it sure will.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just assumed the mask in your avatar was for fun. Didn't realize it was full time.

Better than one of those bubble rooms, though.
Well, no, but I DO sound like Darth Vader on the bike (or at the gym). Also have both allergies and asthma dx. I'm pretty up front about why I adamantly refuse to group ride: I ride like an Aspie with bad lungs and a broken neck, cuz I'm an Aspie with bad lungs and a broken neck. This, of course, is why I don't worry too much about my stinky riding gear: "it keeps the bears away (four-legged and two)" so the "Can I ride with you?" question rarely comes up. [devil] [laugh]

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Be thankful that in MA there's a 2000 dollar max deductible to meet the state's minimum health plan standards. Some people in other states have upwards of a 6K deductible. You want to talk about an expensive trip to the ER..

If the heart attack that sent you to the ER doesn't kill you, the bill that comes after it sure will.
Good thing the government taxes us so that we don't spend the money on stupid stuff.

Cartman - WTF are you talking about?????????

If I have a $6K deductible plan, I could save THOUSANDS of dollars per year in premiums for the rare time I would have a $6,000 medical somethingorother. Let's not cheer when the 'holes in the State House reduce our choices.

Reactions: M60
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good thing the government taxes us so that we don't spend the money on stupid stuff.

Cartman - WTF are you talking about?????????

If I have a $6K deductible plan, I could save THOUSANDS of dollars per year in premiums for the rare time I would have a $6,000 medical somethingorother. Let's not cheer when the 'holes in the State House reduce our choices.
If that were true, but it's not. Health plans in MA are comparably priced to plans in other states that do not have minimum coverage for co-pays, deductibles or out of pocket maximums. Our health system is better. You can bitch about government control all you want, but when it comes to health care premiums, MA comes out ahead. Our plans are better and the cost for that better coverage is the same as what others pay for less coverage in other states. We also have other advantages that "gubbermnt control" has given us peons in MA. Quit, get laid off, or fired from a job in another state when you have vaca time in the bank and see what I mean... You get paid for it here. A lot of people take that for granted. But it ain't like that in almost every other state... You forfeit that time, basically meaning you worked for free for whatever amount of time you forfeit. But in MA - vaca time is considered an earned wage. Unused time must be paid upon termination, regardless of cause.

Yea, gubbermnent is all bad all the time and they never get anything right.. 🙄 I'm not defending everything they do, but that blind squirrel does find a nut every once in a while.

Last edited:

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
LOL Mrs. Mountain likes to perpetuate the myth that in my case men are wimps when it comes to getting sick. When she's not doing that, she's getting on my case for not seeking medical attention when she thinks it's necessary. There's no middle ground, and at either end I am always wrong. [smile]

I have to be very, very sick before I take a break from normal daily activities. ~20 years ago I ended up with bronchitis and pneumonia and she's still giving me hell for pushing through it and not resting. In the last 10 years I've had a pretty horrendous flu twice. Got all my stuff done then stayed in bed 24 hours once and 36 hours the next time. Back to work after that. I don't bring it up in a 'men are wimps' conversation but if we tally and compare sick days and days off when feeling too sh!tty to do anything- I've have maybe 3-1/2 days total vs. so many more on her side. When I am that sick, I just like to be left alone and don't ask for anything. But yeah, men are wimps. [laugh]

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
If that were true, but it's not. Health plans in MA are comparably priced to plans in other states that do not have minimum coverage for co-pays, deductibles or out of pocket maximums. Our health system is better. You can bitch about government control all you want, but when it comes to health care premiums, MA comes out ahead. Our plans are better and the cost for that better coverage is the same as what others pay for less coverage in other states. We also have other advantages that "gubbermnt control" has given us peons in MA. Quit, get laid off, or fired from a job in another state when you have vaca time in the bank and see what I mean... You get paid for it here. A lot of people take that for granted. But it ain't like that in almost every other state... You forfeit that time, basically meaning you worked for free for whatever amount of time you forfeit. But in MA - vaca time is considered an earned wage. Unused time must be paid upon termination, regardless of cause.

Yea, gubbermnent is all bad all the time and they never get anything right.. 🙄 I'm not defending everything they do, but that blind squirrel does find a nut every once in a while.
I'm gonna make you cite that one. I don't buy it.

And my point is: if I WANT a $6K deductible plan that is cheaper, why can't I have it???? THAT'S my point. Uncle Suga. . . I mean Uncle Mitt wanted to legislate everything.

Oh and prescription drugs. Do you know that no one in my house takes a regular prescription??? Not a single person. Gotta have prescription coverage. For someone who don't gut it. I pay more so they pay less. And I'm ok with that. . . . PROVIDED I GET COMPENSATED BY THE STATE for it. No reduction in my state taxes for me to have to pay more for a "comparable plan" after Romney-care.

In most states, people want choice and decisions. They live with them. Not in mASS. We don't want choice. We want the government to protect us 24/7.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
That's what I do.

Nurse Practitioners or nurses are just as good as doctors in most cases.

My insurance covers 100% of these visits, ER out of pocket is crazy though.
That would work great if the "bad thing" happens when the cheapo clinic or the dr's office is open.... it usually doesn't. Last two times I felt like death the only option was the ER.

-Mike

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
With most insurance companies charging 125 bucks for an ER
visit you can understand why people are reluctant to go.
Last time I had to go to the ER I saw a nurse for three minutes
and a doctor for one minute, absolutely no exaggeration.
They wanted to charge me over $100.
I simply refused to pay 100 and something bucks for four minutes of service.
Lol, so you would prefer camping on it and then spending like 3 grand for an ambulance when whatever it is gets worse 3-6 hrs later and you can't get to the hospital under your own power? (one of many possible shitty outcomes of course, and even that one is cheap compared, to, well, dying. )

I'll never understand the people who can simultaneously think "something is really wrong with me right now, I probably should get help, because I dunno wtf it is and its really bad/painful" and then 10 seconds later are all like "but bweah, it's too expensive".

Where I come from being dead is pretty "expensive. " [rofl]

I don't disagree that a lot of these services are a f***ing ripoff... I won't dispute that, but in a value prop type thing, your health should come first.

-Mike

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
men actually get sicker than women...read a journal article about it. The man-baby cold thing is true but it's not because men are wimps it's because colds and flu actually wreck us more....it's similar to how women are such crybabies with injuries...apparently women actually have more pain receptors so they objectively feel pain more intensely.

distilled retard version of this concept on webmd...https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/news/20171211/does-flu-hit-men-harder-than-women-maybe-so

Reactions: TLB

radioman

NES Member
Rating - 96%
24   1   0
Lol, so you would prefer camping on it and then spending like 3 grand for an ambulance when whatever it is gets worse 3-6 hrs later and you can't get to the hospital under your own power? (one of many possible shitty outcomes of course, and even that one is cheap compared, to, well, dying. )

I'll never understand the people who can simultaneously think "something is really wrong with me right now, I probably should get help, because I dunno wtf it is and its really bad/painful" and then 10 seconds later are all like "but bweah, it's too expensive".

Where I come from being dead is pretty "expensive. " [rofl]

I don't disagree that a lot of these services are a f***ing ripoff... I won't dispute that, but in a value prop type thing, your health should come first.

-Mike
Let me add some specifics. I fell in my shop and landed on my wrist. It swelled up to the size of a grapefruit. I’ve never seen anything like it. When I went to the ER there was no cause for alarm, nobody even seemed to care that I had a grapefruit underneath the skin of my wrist. The doctor came in and he asked me what I wanted to do? That’s when I said, doc I came here because I thought there was somebody more qualified than myself to determine the next course of action? Doc said he didn’t see a problem I turned around and walked out couldn’t believe it. I could’ve got that opinion on the phone so yeah I did think it was a problem but there’s no way I’m gonna pay over a 100 bucks for 60 seconds of a doctor consultation. Nobody’s expertise is worth that kind of money.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me add some specifics. I fell in my shop and landed on my wrist. It swelled up to the size of a grapefruit. I’ve never seen anything like it. When I went to the ER there was no cause for alarm, nobody even seemed to care that I had a grapefruit underneath the skin of my wrist. The doctor came in and he asked me what I wanted to do? That’s when I said, doc I came here because I thought there was somebody more qualified than myself to determine the next course of action? Doc said he didn’t see a problem I turned around and walked out couldn’t believe it. I could’ve got that opinion on the phone so yeah I did think it was a problem but there’s no way I’m gonna pay over a 100 bucks for 60 seconds of a doctor consultation. Nobody’s expertise is worth that kind of money.
They didn't send you down to radiology for pictures?

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
They didn't even want to x-ray the damned thing to see if you fractured it? That's f***ed up.

Then again I can see how that kind of interaction can happen, some ER personnel are bizarre, and the default way of treating patients is sometimes
maddening, and unless you're "captain obvious dying" when you roll in there, you have to go through great lengths to try to explain to them what is
going on, and the sequence of events, etc.

The best was the ER nurse on my second visit for the same issue, that was like "so why did you stop taking your blood pressure medication?" I paused because I really wanted to say "because if you actually f***ing listened to what I said 2 minutes ago, you would know that I had never been prescribed any to begin with. " Instead I paused and said something 10 times more polite like "No, that's not it at all... I never had medication to begin with... this is a new issue, but I haven't gotten to the doctor yet... "

-Mike

Wickedcoolname

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is the time of the year when you start hearing made up illnesses like "stomach flu". Drives me nuts. The flu is short for influenza which is like a cold only worse. Runny nose, sneezing, sore throat, body aches, fever, etc.
The "stomach flu" is what morons call shitting and puking, which is usually caused by food poisening. And when it's not food poisening then it's an intestinal virus like Norwalk or similar. Yet for some reason people keep calling their stomach ache the flu.
Drives almost as nutty as people who claim the flu shot gives them the flu. No it doesn't. It's absolutely impossible, yet people will swear on a stack of whatever holy book they read that they get sick.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0

I'm in MA. My deductable is $4,200.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Drives almost as nutty as people who claim the flu shot gives them the flu. No it doesn't. It's absolutely impossible, yet people will swear on a stack of whatever holy book they read that they get sick.
No, it doesn't give them the flu any more than it guarantees you won't GET the flu.

But it CAN and reasonably often DOES yield a bad reaction that some people will attribute as the flu.

Don't be an illness nazi. Just accept that when somebody doesn't feel well they'll tack the word "flu" onto any body part that ails them at the moment. I had the back flu a couple weeks ago. I know a gal that called in sick once, with the 24-hour pneumonia.

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
So from one night of interrupted sleep you can't think straight? You sound like my wife. Anything less than 9 hours and she's a dysfunctional crybaby for the entire day. I routinely get 3-4 hrs of fragmented sleep and somehow manage just fine.

Really just sounds like men and women have different weaknesses. ;)

FWIW, I walked around with appendicitis for 2 days before finally seeking help - and only then because a coworker demanded I go to the ER for it.

One last thing - some people get mesenteric adenitis when the have a simple viral gastroenteritis - it really can be extremely painful and mimic appendicitis, etc.
if you have seen any of my other threads lately you might realize that for weeks I have not had very good sleep. or maybe not. been a very stressful time in our lives. so sleep deprivation is continual right now.

Top Bottom