Men are such wimps

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
when it comes to illness or injury men are WIMPS.

husband gets a sniffle and he immediately thinks he has the flu. usually it's because he hasn't been getting enough rest. Comes home, gets to bed early. feels fine the next day. Babe, that's not how the flu works.

comes to bed last night complaining of stomach pain. this is 2nd time in a couple months. went to doc last time. Spends all night not sleeping. He SWEARS it must be food poisoning from eating rotten food. It's not. We ate the same food. I cook our meals. (yes, I know he could get FP and me not but it's extremely rare) I tell him it's probably same thing as last time. It's 1:30 am. I'm not thinking. Decide to try to sleep on the couch. Yeah, that didn't help me much. It's 3:30 am and granted this time was worse. he actually vomited. Finally at 5:30 he's in so much pain I think I will take him to the ER even though I can't think straight to drive from lack of sleep. Decide "hey, let's try a prescription pain med" we have on hand and used before. Check on him 30 minutes later, he's finally sleeping. OK great. His appendix isn't bursting. He doesn't have food poisoning, etc. Probably same thing as last time. 3 hours later he's awake so I can take him to our doc. Awesome that they have weekend hours. yep basically the same thing as last time. I figured it out and i can't FEEL HIS PAIN.

Evadd

NES Member
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
It's 1:30 am. I'm not thinking. Decide to try to sleep on the couch. Yeah, that didn't help me much. It's 3:30 am and granted this time was worse. he actually vomited. Finally at 5:30 he's in so much pain I think I will take him to the ER even though I can't think straight to drive from lack of sleep.
So from one night of interrupted sleep you can't think straight? You sound like my wife. Anything less than 9 hours and she's a dysfunctional crybaby for the entire day. I routinely get 3-4 hrs of fragmented sleep and somehow manage just fine.

Really just sounds like men and women have different weaknesses. ;)

FWIW, I walked around with appendicitis for 2 days before finally seeking help - and only then because a coworker demanded I go to the ER for it.

One last thing - some people get mesenteric adenitis when the have a simple viral gastroenteritis - it really can be extremely painful and mimic appendicitis, etc.

mibro

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So from one night of interrupted sleep you can't think straight? You sound like my wife. Anything less than 9 hours and she's a dysfunctional crybaby for the entire day. I routinely get 3-4 hrs of fragmented sleep and somehow manage just fine.

Really just sounds like men and women have different weaknesses. ;)

FWIW, I walked around with appendicitis for 2 days before finally seeking help - and only then because a coworker demanded I go to the ER for it.

One last thing - some people get mesenteric adenitis when the have a simple viral gastroenteritis - it really can be extremely painful and mimic appendicitis, etc.
This.

""
The evidence in current studies points towards men having weaker immune systems than women, especially when it comes to common viral respiratory infections," Sue explained. "Men are more susceptible to them, symptoms are worse, they last longer, and men are more likely to be hospitalized and die from the flu."

...hormonal differences between men and women may actually offer women greater protection from the full brunt of flu symptoms. Other patient-based studies similarly indicated that the onset of a flu may trigger a stronger immune response among women than men, blunting the full impact of symptoms."

Brewer

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
What you really need is to look in the mirror and realize you married a wimp. Forgive him. And then forgive yourself.
/sarc

Seriously, I work in healthcare and see plenty of people for overblown/trivial stuff. But hey, medicine isn't their thing, just like I ask some pretty basic questions with a lawyer. One time I saw a woman for belly pain. Gradually worsening for 3 days, lost her appetite, generalized ache becoming sharp in the right-lower, now starting a fever. She was noticeably sleepy and told us during intake vitals that she hates coming to the doctor. Her husband was laughing and shaking his head in the corner, saying he doesn't even push any longer because she'll go when she's had enough of whatever sickness. We immediately recognized decompensating shock. Called EMS. Just before the ambulance arrived we crossed off every piece of story and exam fitting appendicitis with likely rupture and sepsis. As they loaded her on the stretcher she said, "Jeez, I'm glad we came in. Do you think I'll stay overnight?" I didn't say she'd be lucky to have breakfast tomorrow and turns out she didn't.

She wanted to avoid coming to us for trivial stuff and her husband didn't want to push -- respectable. Couldn't have known what they were seeing -- understandable. But no doubt he regrets not coming on day 2 and still having her. I don't get annoyed any longer when someone comes for a scary unknown that turns out a minor diagnosis. Balance the tender and the tough love. Just please don't accidentally ignore something serious because he's cried wolf before. And if you're too groggy to drive him to the ER at 3:30a, you're definitely not competent to rule out an appendicitis. I don't say that because I make money on these visits. Twice before I've gone to the ER to rule out something on myself because 1) you can't be objective with yourself/family and 2) some things you just can't know without tests.

Unless you're thinking the life insurance route.

H-minus

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Severe abdominal pain is not one of those things to sit around and wait on. I cant tell you how many times Ive seen bad outcomes in my ICU because people tried to be stoic and put off going to the hospital until it was too late. One 32 y/o guy was vomiting blood for 3 days before he decided to have his buddy bring him in. Despite our best efforts he isnt with us anymore.

Yes it may be nothing but what if isnt?

radioman

NES Member
Rating - 96%
24   1   0
With most insurance companies charging 125 bucks for an ER
visit you can understand why people are reluctant to go.
Last time I had to go to the ER I saw a nurse for three minutes
and a doctor for one minute, absolutely no exaggeration.
They wanted to charge me over $100.
I simply refused to pay 100 and something bucks for four minutes of service.

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I was in the ER this summer. Wasn't sure what was going on, and wanted to rule out heart attack. I would kill to have only received a $100 bill. It cost me $1200 out of pocket, and the hospital picked up the $1800 tab for the ambulance from their urgent care facility to the hospital. That would have been another $500 out of pocket.

fencer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I agree that health care cost are out of control, but it is not like the doctor and nurse went out back and split the 100 bucks between them. Most decent hospitals are multi billion dollar facilities that cost millions a month just to keep the lights on.
But good hospitals are like good lawyers, they all suck, until you need them. And here in the Boston area, we are so very lucky to have some great hospitals.

bigben111435

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a gross oversimplification.
Not to mention a good way to amplify your health problems.

Isn't the 'man sick' thing from women a little dated of a dig? Like saying stay at home parent is easy?
I believe there is an intrinsic equality amongst mankind, (we are all born and we all die) but sometimes people want equal to mean the same. Men and women are different. Like 4 quarters equal 1$ but are not he same as a 1$ bill.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Consider yourself lucky if an ER visit only cost you 125 bucks. About 7 or 8 years ago my wife woke me up at 3am and told me she needs to go to the ER. She had crippling abdominal pain and could barely stand let alone walk. She had been dealing with the pain for a few hours up to that point debating weather it was worth a trip to the ER. I got her to the ER and within an hour of her being admitted, she started the feel better. The only thing the ER did was give her an aspirin. They charged me $1,800 for that aspirin!!! Made up my mind then and there I wouldn't go to the ER unless I had a body part falling off of me or I was near death.

I work for a major player in the Health Care industry and I swear we have one of the worst health care plans you can imagine. It was pretty good before Obama got elected but since 2008, our plan gets worse every year. This past year took the prize though. Our health care provider was switched over to a health care company we had just acquired. You would think that being owners of a health insurance provider, the company would be able to negotiate a better deal for it's employees....Nope. Not only did my premium go up more than my annual pay increast last year, but they also raised my deductable. Talk about a kick in the balls.....

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
The poor guy, by your own admission, is working like a dog day and night not getting enough rest. Make the man a sammich and knock it off. ;)

(Actually it sounds like he's a poor-diagnoser. My wife is like this. It's amazing how many normal things a body does that she's been convinced is unique to her in the last 30 years. She just can't see big-picture stuff. Which is why I'm around. She has her skills. I have mine.)

So this guy has a tooth that is hurting. His golfing buddy is a dentist so he calls him up for an appointment.

After 2 min, the dentist says, "Bob, that tooth is bad. It's beyond repair. We gotta take it out."

"OK, I can handle it. What's that gonna cost me?"

"About $250."

"TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS FOR A PULLED TOOTH??? What's that take? 3 minutes?? You're going to charge me $250 for 3 minutes?"

"Well," said the dentist, "If that's your problem I can make it last as long as you want."

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How many guys have had a GF/Wife that will just complain about various things that "Need to be done" while sitting in front of the tube watching friends or grays anatomy for the 400th time.......pure comedy......and they will complain expecting someone else to address the real/percieved issue instead of doing it themselves......

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Urgent Care clinics, where available.

Learn to love them.

H-minus

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Men are wimps, yet every woman complains about working too much and can't even crack 40 hours.
There is something to be said about this. I work nights, approx 70 hours a week. My wife works part time days, 16 hours a week. We both get a cold. Her cold consists of some sniffles, cough and runny nose which she promptly treats by napping after her long 4 hour shift, drinking fluids, and having the kids do most of the household chores until she feels better.

Mine feels like a truck hit me because I probably averaged 3-4 hours of sleep a day during that week if I was lucky and ate crap from a vending machine if I eat anything at all when acuity is high on our unit.

It's all about perspective.

Top Bottom