• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Membership to NRA, GOA

New to gun ownership, but always adament that we have a right to bear arms!

What organization should I join? NRA GOA? Both.

I feel like they are both doing good things. We joined GOAL and NES.

Any suggestions?

I'm a member of NRA and GOAL, and will look into wahsben's recommendation of joining the others. Some people like to complain about the NRA but they are important to our 2A rights nonetheless.

I'm a member of NRA and GOAL, and will look into wahsben's recommendation of joining the others. Some people like to complain about the NRA but they are important to our 2A rights nonetheless.

Agree. NRA was my first choice. We ended up joining the NRA, GOA, GOAL and NES. I look forward to the info on JPFO and 2nd amend...

Same as other posters say. If you join a club, they will most likely require NRA membership and maybe GOAL membership(I believe it's a liability insurance thing.)

If you join the NRA, shop around for a code or whatever that gets you the best deal. When I went to re-up with them, they wanted to charge me 30 dollars. Found a code where I paid 20, got a free bag, and a $20 gift card to Bass Pro Shops. Given, I couldn't find a single thing that wasn't absurdly marked up, but it did get spent.

I would do GOA or SAF for a national and depending on your location GOAL or COMM2a for MA and PGNH for NH not sure what other state foundations are out there for those in CT, VT, ME, RI etc...

Just took advantage of that and joined. Was going to do a life membership but can't spend that cash at the moment.

$25 to Bass Pro is nice...even though it's on par with a $5 gift card to Starbuck's.

Doesn't the NRA offer discounted life memberships (~$300) around Christmas?

Yeah I will be back to green when the mail is opened in Rindge . Sorry, I have no use for Paypal.

SAF is a strong national org recommendation from me. SAF is the one suing many states and actually making headway to the USSC to overturn decades of increasing gun control laws. IIRC, SAF Life membership was $150. I have met Alan Gottlieb (Exec Dir of SAF) a couple of times and talked with him and his Wife (who had testified against gun control efforts by the UN at the UN as a NGO) at the GOAL Banquet 2 years ago. They are "real people" and doing real good work at re-establishing our 2nd A rights at a national level. http://www.saf.org/

Support Comm2A if you are a MA resident, as they are doing similar things in MA courts (with assistance from SAF).

GOAL is the MA lobbyist group trying to make changes thru legislation (which is a much tougher row to hoe than most people understand).

NRA is the 800# gorilla in the room that everyone in DC hates/fears. They are the national lobbyist group. They have done some good things, but oftentimes compromise our rights away (e.g. Brady Bill, NICS, MG ban, etc.), so they tend to be very controversial amongst gun owners who believe that the 2nd A is about "self-defense" and NOT about hunting and bullseye shooting.

Disclaimer: My Wife & I are Life Members of: NRA, GOAL, SAF and Founding Members of PGNH.

Just took advantage of that and joined. Was going to do a life membership but can't spend that cash at the moment.

$25 to Bass Pro is nice...even though it's on par with a $5 gift card to Starbuck's.

Me too. I wasn't due to renew until the end of Jan., but the gift card and duffle made it worth doing now, plus I believe the rate was discounted by $10 also.

SAF is a strong national org recommendation from me. SAF is the one suing many states and actually making headway to the USSC to overturn decades of increasing gun control laws. IIRC, SAF Life membership was $150. I have met Alan Gottlieb (Exec Dir of SAF) a couple of times and talked with him and his Wife (who had testified against gun control efforts by the UN at the UN as a NGO) at the GOAL Banquet 2 years ago. They are "real people" and doing real good work at re-establishing our 2nd A rights at a national level. http://www.saf.org/

Support Comm2A if you are a MA resident, as they are doing similar things in MA courts (with assistance from SAF).

GOAL is the MA lobbyist group trying to make changes thru legislation (which is a much tougher row to hoe than most people understand).

NRA is the 800# gorilla in the room that everyone in DC hates/fears. They are the national lobbyist group. They have done some good things, but oftentimes compromise our rights away (e.g. Brady Bill, NICS, MG ban, etc.), so they tend to be very controversial amongst gun owners who believe that the 2nd A is about "self-defense" and NOT about hunting and bullseye shooting.

Disclaimer: My Wife & I are Life Members of: NRA, GOAL, SAF and Founding Members of PGNH.

Len, I have to agree that those other organizations you mentioned are much better to support for our cause. I only support the NRA because it is a club requirement where I belong for the liability insurance.

Doesn't the NRA offer discounted life memberships (~$300) around Christmas?

NRA offers $300 Life Memberships thru current Life Members. It's advertised as "for family members". I and a few others did this for our NES Family until a particularly nasty individual jumped on NES and claimed that what we were doing was fraud and threatened to "turn us (and Derek) in to NRA". At that point I (and others) stopped the offer. I did send an Email to NRA HQ for clarification and never got a response.

Sporadically you may see the same offer pop up on some other forums (where I saw it first).

Len, I have to agree that those other organizations you mentioned are much better to support for our cause. I only support the NRA because it is a club requirement where I belong for the liability insurance.

I'm just reporting this as I was told . . . I have made no effort to confirm this info:

I am a member of Braintree R&P Club and they do NOT require NRA membership. I was told that at one time the club did have insurance thru NRA and this was not an issue to NRA. In recent years, the E-Board has found a better deal on liability insurance locally so they have changed carriers.

I do believe that at one time in the very distant past, NRA did require 100% membership to insure a club, but much like AARP (according to their propaganda) they have discovered that getting "referral fees" from insurers is worthwhile and have dropped the "membership required" mandate in order to obtain insurance thru them. NOTE: Many clubs are however convinced that they can't insure thru NRA unless they are 100% NRA! [I've raised this at my other club and they are convinced that what I state above is incorrect. Not sure that they ever inquired directly to NRA Insurance folks however.]

That is interesting, Len. Thanks for mentioning that. I will definitely bring it up when I get to one of the club meetings. For some reason I always seem to have a conflict in my schedule barring me from attending, but I will bring this up if I can ever get there. I was told when I joined that I didn't need a full membership, but they would purchase an associate membership for me to cover the insurance (at my expense, of course). After looking at the numbers, it wasn't going to save me more than a few dollars over a full membership, and I would get no other member benefits with just the associate version.

If you're looking for "bang for the buck" at the national level, think about this: when's the last time you heard an Anti talking head whining about any group other than NRA?

The comment about the "defense v. bullseye shooting" comes, I think, from the percieved lack of millitancy on the part of the NRA. They're a political beast, and the rules that govern their environment dictate the amount of pushiness that they can muster.

Jim Wallace from GOAL wears a suit, not camo, when he's at the State House. He may prefer Mossy Oak to paisley ties (I saw him at the State House while I was chaperoning a school trip, and don't remember his tie - it's used as an example v. camo, not a style comment! [laugh]) You gotta go along to get along.

Kruchev's remembered for pounding his shoe on the table, but not for the positive results from that show.

NRA and the other groups all have different agendas and tactics. We need them all, or most....

What Len says and in that order except I'd join Comm2A first, Goal 2nd, SAF 3rd, NRA 4th.

What Len says and in that order except I'd join Comm2A first, Goal 2nd, SAF 3rd, NRA 4th.

John, Comm2A doesn't offer memberships. That's why I phrased it "support", meaning donate whatever $$ you can/want to their efforts instead.

The others are membership orgs.

NRA offers $300 Life Memberships thru current Life Members. It's advertised as "for family members". I and a few others did this for our NES Family until a particularly nasty individual jumped on NES and claimed that what we were doing was fraud and threatened to "turn us (and Derek) in to NRA". At that point I (and others) stopped the offer. I did send an Email to NRA HQ for clarification and never got a response.

Sporadically you may see the same offer pop up on some other forums (where I saw it first).

LenS,

I thought that individual was being outrageous in his snit.

Obviously if NRA is willing to discount the annual fee to an amount equal to a BPS gift card and throw in a range bag, they're not stressing out over the initial membership fees.

What they're looking for (I believe) is a name and addresss to contact for all future fund raising efforts, and to grow their numbers.

It's like the old practice of giving away a Gillette Razor, so people would buy the blades (pre-dates disposable razors).

Your offer was very generous and should have been encouraged.

Back
Top Bottom