Members of The Holbrook Sportsmen Club, Please Step In

I was thinking about joining the Holbrook Sportsmen Club and was wondering if anyone here was a member? It looks like it could take a while to become a non-conditional member and I was hoping to get some feedback from someone who has gone through the process.

Thanks in advance

I tried to go through the process. I was thinking of switching from Ames becuase holbrook is closer to my house.

Made an ppointment in advance for a tour and to pick up an application. Showed up Saturday morning as discussed, checkbook in hand and was told to come back Monday night by the club president. I politely told him I was told to come down Saturday morning to take care of the paperwork and he could have cared less.

Needless to say, I renewed with Ames. It's a bit more of a drive but well worth it if you just want to shoot and not have your time wasted.

I'm sure others have different experiences with Holbrook, hopefully you find some positive reviews.

I tried to go through the process. I was thinking of switching from Ames becuase holbrook is closer to my house.

Made an ppointment in advance for a tour and to pick up an application. Showed up Saturday morning as discussed, checkbook in hand and was told to come back Monday night by the club president. I politely told him I was told to come down Saturday morning to take care of the paperwork and he could have cared less.

Needless to say, I renewed with Ames. It's a bit more of a drive but well worth it if you just want to shoot and not have your time wasted.

I'm sure others have different experiences with Holbrook, hopefully you find some positive reviews.

That sounds about typical for Holbrook.

Hmmm... Sounds like the same situation I'm in. Holbrook is about 5min from my house, but I like to go shooting on friday mornings/afternoons and I'm not sure I'll be able to get in without a keycard.

I was thinking about joining the Holbrook Sportsmen Club and was wondering if anyone here was a member? It looks like it could take a while to become a non-conditional member and I was hoping to get some feedback from someone who has gone through the process.

Thanks in advance

It is very easy. Attend 4 meetings and the safety orientation. You can be an associate member within a month. If you look upon it as hard, then it shall be impossible.

You can obtain a signature for helping with the ATA shoot. Or you can help empty the trash barrells - whatever H&G chairman assigns as duty for you - on a Saturday. One guy obtained his associate membership within 2 weeks, if I recall correctly.

bill

Who told you that you must come on a Saturday? The club's policy has always required admittance by the political body. You must be approved by the membership at a meeting.

bill

Hmmm... Sounds like the same situation I'm in. Holbrook is about 5min from my house, but I like to go shooting on friday mornings/afternoons and I'm not sure I'll be able to get in without a keycard.

Just hang in there and complete your yellow card. The whole process is to acquaint you with the club. This is why one of the required signatures is for the club orientation, which reviews safety procedures. This ensures that you meet other members. You can obtain a signature for helping out on clean up on Tuesday mornings or Saturdays. you can obtain a signature for providing help at the ATA shoot. You can obtain a signature for attending a regular meeting. One person obtained his 5 signatures within two weeks. This was contingent on a proper timing with the monthly club orientation.

bill

It's not often that the_doctor and I agree with each other, but I agree 100% with him here. [wink] [smile]

The following is generic and not specific only to Holbrook:

- Don't look at these kind of requirements as a "burden" to joining a club. It's good for the club and the new member to have people help out AND learn a bit about their new club at the same time. It should be a "win-win" situation and that is how you should approach these type of requirements.

- Some clubs have a safety orientation. It's mostly to go over club-specific rules and is not usually just a re-hash of the NRA safety rules. Pay attention so you can be a good, responsible club member . . . learn from it, rather than looking at it as a "waste of time"!

- Help out in an area that you've never experienced before. You might learn something and decide to try that aspect of the sport out. At my first club, I was a brand new shooter and I volunteered to help out (no work parties were required) at an NRA match. I learned something about running a line as an RO and scoring targets. It was interesting, even though I never caught the competitive bug. I also immersed myself in the morass of MA gun laws and started reporting info at meetings (if I'm a member, I like to attend all members meetings to keep abreast of what's going on) and eventually I was asked to do it on an official basis.

- One club I joined required a 4-hours of work for full membership. I ended up replacing light fixtures on the range. Not a big deal and certainly not onerous, just dirty. [wink] I got to meet a few other members in the process.

- At Braintree R&P we bring in ~80 new members a month. Every month at the members meeting, the club president asks "who is here as a new member" (the meeting is usually 1 day after the new members orientation meeting that all new members must attend) and you only see maybe 1 or 2 hands go up PER YEAR!! It's sad that almost none of them take an interest in their new club, and thus we can be assured that few know their way around the club or the club rules. I know that Holbrook is also a big club and it seems to me that they have a good idea in taking steps to ensure that their new members know something about their new club.

It's not often that the_doctor and I agree with each other, but I agree 100% with him here. [wink] [smile]

The following is generic and not specific only to Holbrook:

- Don't look at these kind of requirements as a "burden" to joining a club. It's good for the club and the new member to have people help out AND learn a bit about their new club at the same time. It should be a "win-win" situation and that is how you should approach these type of requirements.

- Some clubs have a safety orientation. It's mostly to go over club-specific rules and is not usually just a re-hash of the NRA safety rules. Pay attention so you can be a good, responsible club member . . . learn from it, rather than looking at it as a "waste of time"!

- Help out in an area that you've never experienced before. You might learn something and decide to try that aspect of the sport out. At my first club, I was a brand new shooter and I volunteered to help out (no work parties were required) at an NRA match. I learned something about running a line as an RO and scoring targets. It was interesting, even though I never caught the competitive bug. I also immersed myself in the morass of MA gun laws and started reporting info at meetings (if I'm a member, I like to attend all members meetings to keep abreast of what's going on) and eventually I was asked to do it on an official basis.

- One club I joined required a 4-hours of work for full membership. I ended up replacing light fixtures on the range. Not a big deal and certainly not onerous, just dirty. [wink] I got to meet a few other members in the process.

- At Braintree R&P we bring in ~80 new members a month. Every month at the members meeting, the club president asks "who is here as a new member" (the meeting is usually 1 day after the new members orientation meeting that all new members must attend) and you only see maybe 1 or 2 hands go up PER YEAR!! It's sad that almost none of them take an interest in their new club, and thus we can be assured that few know their way around the club or the club rules. I know that Holbrook is also a big club and it seems to me that they have a good idea in taking steps to ensure that their new members know something about their new club.

We are a huge club. Braintree's is probably a multiple of perhaps 3-4 times our number. However, our member number is 3-4 times the number of members in a whole assortment of other clubs.
We have a large facility, acres of land, trap shooting, rifle shooting, and pistol ranges. Our pistol ranges allow much more than possible in many other clubs. We do not have action pits or everything that one can think, but we have a lot to offer. Many people belong to the club, so this should serve as an indicator of some value.

bill

I joined Holbrook in January, was done with the oriantation/safety meeting and my 5 signatures by the First meeting in March. I thought the process was good and a way to familierize myself with the club, as well my interest in the club. I got one of my signatures on a wednessday night trap, loaded trap machines, pikced up after, and put away the trap stuff, etc, and still shot that night. I agree with the doctor, the conditional member orientation is what you make of it, 2 meetings a month( mondays get a signature for attending) do a saturday cleanup or what ever needs doing, go down to a shoot that interest you and help set up or cleanup, and still get a chance to participate, ( ex. CMP is last sunday of the month, hang targets, sweep brass, SHOOT.., hang targets, etc) and get a signature.

holbrook is a fine club, great members. I am not a member but shoot ATA events. If I had time and extra $$ to join I would. The ATA lobster shoot is great. Heck I may now start collecting my signatures

Thanks in advance

If you are in Randolph I'd take Glide's advice and join Ames...

I'm another one who is MAYBE 2 minutes max from Holbrook, but I am much happier driving the 15 to Hanson...

I am a member of braintree rifle and pistol, I like it... I first tried to join Holbrook, it's further from my house but, I heard good things and that they're much more lax and believe in personal responsibility and maturity whereas at braintree you need to call ahead to see if there's a range officer there so you can use the outdoor ranges. I too, like Glide, was told to show up on some specific saturday or sunday, say the 2nd sunday of the month or something to meet with the president for an orientation I believe (it was a while back). I was told to show up on this sat or sun after being in both phone contact and email with whoever does the new membership deal, it also stated that new members must show up on this "date" in holbrooks by laws on their website. I waited weeks then the magic day rolled around, I drove all the way down there and was early...all that good stuff. I couldn't find a soul to speak with so I found my way to a little shack near the skeet fields I believe that looked like a scene from grumpy old men. Knocked on the door, and there was maybe 5 old dudes in there...I politely introduced myself, had my money in hand to get the process started and they looked at my like I had 12 heads. One man identified himself as some club official(again it was a while ago) after giving me a hard time then told me to come back some other date because all of the info I was told via phone, email, and the clubs website was wrong. I was all set...now I just have a few more rules and such at braintree...oh well...I tried....

I am a member of braintree rifle and pistol, I like it... I first tried to join Holbrook, it's further from my house but, I heard good things and that they're much more lax and believe in personal responsibility and maturity whereas at braintree you need to call ahead to see if there's a range officer there so you can use the outdoor ranges. I too, like Glide, was told to show up on some specific saturday or sunday, say the 2nd sunday of the month or something to meet with the president for an orientation I believe (it was a while back). I was told to show up on this sat or sun after being in both phone contact and email with whoever does the new membership deal, it also stated that new members must show up on this "date" in holbrooks by laws on their website. I waited weeks then the magic day rolled around, I drove all the way down there and was early...all that good stuff. I couldn't find a soul to speak with so I found my way to a little shack near the skeet fields I believe that looked like a scene from grumpy old men. Knocked on the door, and there was maybe 5 old dudes in there...I politely introduced myself, had my money in hand to get the process started and they looked at my like I had 12 heads. One man identified himself as some club official(again it was a while ago) after giving me a hard time then told me to come back some other date because all of the info I was told via phone, email, and the clubs website was wrong. I was all set...now I just have a few more rules and such at braintree...oh well...I tried....

I have no idea about whom spoke to you on the phone. I am not sure where the website states that you should come down on a Saturday.

If you want to join Holbrook then you either show on the 1st or 3rd Monday at 8PM. There is nothing else. Anyone, whom has told you otherwise, has lied. They joined the club and know the rules. I really do not understand. Please PM me with the name. I will inform the President about it.

thanks

I am a member at Holbrook. I admit that when I was first joining a year and a half ago the process seemed at first a bit much. By the time I was done with attaining membership I fully understood the benefits of the requirements. I feel that the club has a strong base of people who are willing to get involved and it’s really worth getting to know these folks. As far as the club facilities go, pretty darn good Ide say, and constantly getting better. I run bowling pin shoots at the club and invite you to PM me for some info and if it’s your bag that could be a chance for you to do some more recon.

I'm a member of holbrook,and I must say it's a very nice
club. The only down side to me is it seems like there's always
somthing going on,and the outdoor ranges are full.
It is a very active club. That's why I joined Standish too.
It's a quiet club,and there's never any wait time to use
any ranges.

I'm a member of holbrook,and I must say it's a very nice
club. The only down side to me is it seems like there's always
somthing going on,and the outdoor ranges are full.
It is a very active club. That's why I joined Standish too.
It's a quiet club,and there's never any wait time to use
any ranges.

I always have bad luck, too! I can pick a time to visit the club on the one Wednesday night of the year that the Juniors are shooting on the Big Bore.
During the day the place is often very quiet. Every other month or so it seems that some police department conducts training.

I recommend that everyone should try the pistol team or the rifle team. If you are a member of the club, then you really should give those a try. The rifle team is very small, right now. A lot of people are missing out on the opportunity to improve markmanship, build camaraderie with fellow shooters, and meet people from other clubs. The pistol team had some coaching from a serious competitor earlier this year.

Thank you for all of your responses. I've had a chance to shoot a few different clubs lately (including Ames), and I'm trying to set up an appointment to check out Holbrook. I'll let everyone know how I make out.

I joined a couple weeks ago at their gun show. Im not sure if I was given the wrong date and missed the safety class on Sunday Nov 28th. I was given a first date of Dec 6th for the meeting and to pick up my yellow card. Do I get my yellow card first then go to next safety class? I called and was told I might be able to get a private safety class. Im also interested in maybe working a couple days during the week early to get my key a little faster. Any info would help, thanks Tom

I joined a couple weeks ago at their gun show. Im not sure if I was given the wrong date and missed the safety class on Sunday Nov 28th. I was given a first date of Dec 6th for the meeting and to pick up my yellow card. Do I get my yellow card first then go to next safety class? I called and was told I might be able to get a private safety class. Im also interested in maybe working a couple days during the week early to get my key a little faster. Any info would help, thanks Tom

Tom sent you a PM.

You will receive your yellow card, if you attend the meeting on December 6th. You can work on Tuesday mornings, Saturdays, and other days. See the appropriate committee chairmen for specific activities.

Usually the gun show is immediately followed by a meeting, but meetings are only held on the 1st and 3rd Monday of each month. There were actually 5 Mondays during November, which has affected the timing.

I cannot believe all of the bullshit most of you guys think is par for the course to join a gun club.

I cannot believe all of the bullshit most of you guys think is par for the course to join a gun club.

All I can say is that some clubs provide you with BS every time THAT you shoot. I have lots of negative points because some guys on here are so full of it. I have said so on these forums. I have been to a whole host of clubs. If you live in the Brockton area, then the best club is Holbrook. One club ACTIVELY refuses new membership. Another club is sort of the trainer for our club; we have so many people who used to belong to this other club.

Our ranges are up and operating. Can your club say such?

as a member of my club (new or not) you can request a copy of the rules at anytime. you are expected to follow the rules when using the club property. there is no one standing over your shoulder watching you. if someone is caught breaking the rules he is just spoken to and given a warning. if someone is continually breaking rules then he may loose his membership. if i recall over the past 25 years there has only been 1 or maybe 2 people to get bounced out for rule infringements. basically we are usually a fairly laid back club. when you join the club you can get your key to the facility and become a full member on the spot and start using the ranges (except during deer season) the day you join.

Last edited:
I am a member of the Holbrook club. it was easier to join than the club I previously belonged to which was Mansfield. I read the application requirements on line, picked up an application, obtained my required signatures and have never looked back. its a VERY active club. Events every weekend but one. A 3D archery , trap, a 200 yard big bore range, pistol poppers every month, pistol and rifle league, air rifle league, CMP shoots every month, hunter pistol every month, bowling pin shoots. Compared where I came from, maybe one event a season....no compassion.
Once you join its a great place to shoot.
Also they have family nights, ladies night, first time shooters, Christmas party for the kids and a junior league for pistol. Its a great place IMO.

Last edited:
Every club has it advantages and disadvantages. I love Holbrook, why, the facility is clean, the place has more to offer as far as events than most. Down side, 200 yard range is used for 25 yard air rifle, and the pistol poppers also use it. Then there is hunter pistol and CMP. All on the 200 yard range. So one weekend a month or late Saturday is all you have to shoot long range. However, and this is a BIG however, its far better than some other places I know of[wink]

Hands down the BEST club around. Never a dull moment. more activities than any club in the area, No B.S. like other clubs.

Back
Top Bottom