Medway Police look for suspect with "stockpile" of weapons

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/article/20150922/NEWS/150928730

Police are searching for a suspect after they discovered a stockpile of weapons, ammunition and explosives Monday afternoon at a Legion Avenue home located less than 500 feet away from an elementary school.
According to a Medway Police Department press release, officers during a routine investigation discovered a “cache of illegally possessed weapons,” including two assault rifles, two shotguns, two handguns, a pellet gun, and “a large amount of magazines and ammunition for those weapons.”
Also discovered were several large knives, a bulletproof vest, several handgun holsters and an empty box labeled “Desert Storm.”

A Chevrolet Silverado with veteran license plates was parked in the driveway of the home, which is just around the corner from Burke-Memorial Elementary School.

Scumbag media with the 'impending danger so close to a school" angle. Have to wonder if a veteran moved here with no knowledge of local gun laws, I've run into a few guys like that. Also curious what the "explosives" that were deemed safe actually were.

I'm going to shelter in place until they tell us that Desert Storm box has been disarmed. Oh the horror....

Gotta wonder what the F a "routine investigation" is for one thing. Also, if they don't know who the firearms belong to, how can they say they were illegally possessed?

Also, as a veteran myself i'ts starting to really piss me off the way the media portrays us... as though if we own guns we're collectively more dangerous or prone to mental illness than anyone else.

If that's a "stockpile" NES collectively has enough firepower to arm a small country.

And a big "yup" to the preceding comments. Although I'm not a veteran the concept of "they fought for this country and her citizens so they are therefore potentially/probably rebels/terrorists" confuse the fvck out of me. Kinda pissed me off too since Dad is a Korean "conflict" vet.

The AR has a trigger lock. None of the others on display do, so I'm guessing it was found that way. I know lots of "illegal" weapon cache owners who lock their guns . This story is pretty stinky

Jeez, I'm having just a little trouble finding that law that says you can't have a gun within 500 feet of a school. As a matter of fact, I work just across the street from a school, so I guess I'm a felon now on a repeated daily basis. Off to turn myself in... bye NES.

Who mentioned that there is such a law?

No one. The article simply notes that the location of the house, with the guns in it, was within 500 feet of an elementary school. I'm not sure what the author is trying to imply other than the the notion that the proximity of the guns to the school, even though they are on private property, is somehow bad.

But, that is for on a public way or property though, not private property, correct? Thanks.

It looks like if you're illegally possessing a firearm it's worse if you're close to a school.

On the other hand I know a guy who possesses firearms legally and his house is right next to a school. He thinks he's violating the GFSZA and he knows the police chief. So he asks the police chief and the police chief thinks he's violating the GFSZA too, but since they're friends the chif won't arrest him.

I sh!t you not. I met and talked to this guy last week and he's dead serious.

It looks like if you're illegally possessing a firearm it's worse if you're close to a school.

On the other hand I know a guy who possesses firearms legally and his house is right next to a school. He thinks he's violating the GFSZA and he knows the police chief. So he asks the police chief and the police chief thinks he's violating the GFSZA too, but since they're friends the chif won't arrest him.

Two word town near RI if so I met him also during a karma I believe.

What sort of routine investigation includes the search of a house? Why is a veteran having a box labeled Desert Storm even noteworthy?

So what happens if you live in a house that close to a school? Are you unable to exercise your rights or is there an exemption?

Nada your fine I live probably about the same distance to a different one just don't walk by the school during hours with one on you concealed if you can avoid it. It's within your right to be armed nearby if you love nearby like I can walk to a 7/11. But I only carry at night when I do that. Reason being is you'll probably win the legal battle but it's an expensive one to fight not worth it if the situation is avoidable.

Friggin media.....

The Marine Corps teaches us how to kill people with our hands and the heel of our boot. Does this mean I am in possession of assault boots?
This guys cache wouldn't even fill one of those little gun cabinets that they sell at Dicks. Pretty soon you will have to get a permit to buy a safe that holds more than 10 guns.

Why in the hell would he bring that up with the cop??? I realize that in MA the cops already know more about our personal possessions than many are happy with, but how often does a conversation with a cop end well when you start it with "hey, I think I'm violating federal law because....."??

So much fail in the WCVB article and comments. I'm friends with the neighbor they quoted in the article.

I thought in Massachusetts, you are exempt from the Gun Free School Zones if you are licensed and live in a school zone or pulled over in a traffic stop in a school zone.

I thought in Massachusetts, you are exempt from the Gun Free School Zones if you are licensed and live in a school zone or pulled over in a traffic stop in a school zone.
Key part of that is *licensed*. You're exempt federally if you possess a license from the state if carrying, or if you're on your own private property. Dude wasn't licensed, which is a requirement in MA, thus he might have a problem.

Police stated that the man is currently being treated at a Rhode Island hospital for an unrelated medical condition. I wonder if he spoke of his "cache" to doctors and then the police were called out to conduct a "routine investigation"?

Back
Top Bottom