• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Medical Marijuana and Lawful Gun Ownership

As I explain to my kids, it might not make sense but that's the law. There was a house party in town where the underage booze drinking kids were arrested, while the pot smoking kids were given a $100 fine and let go[rolleyes]

They do understand there is NO PENALTY for not paying the $100 ticket, right? They can't add further fines or penalties. They can't add interest. They can't prevent license renewal. Nothing. There is NO meat to the ticket.

You could tear up the ticket and throw the confetti in the cop's face, and only get another ticket for littering.

Just don't get the card. Possession of an ounce or less in Ma is a CIVIL offense. The legal equivalent of speeding or jaywalking and won't show up on a CORI. So a minor possession charge in and of itself is not an automatic disqualifier. They will never see it in the basic application process. HOWEVER. If for some reason your CLEO knows you had a pot charge then they may use their "discretion" to deny a LTC. That will vary depending on your particular CLEO and how they feel about pot.

As others have stated no matter what kind of license your state gives you pot is still illegal on the federal level. Personally I would rather risk a minor civil charge on my record than committing a "provable" felony. Since that would ban me country wide for life. Theoretically speaking, if I smoked pot then I would still be committing the same felony every time I filled out a 4473 but at least I wouldn't have a license to possess a substance I repeatedly claim to not use.

But won't a DUI get your LTC pulled? Even if you're not carrying at the time of the DUI? And if you are carrying and get a DUI, it's a whole different movie, right?
When i got my Disabled Parking Placard, I had to turn in my CDL. I had to choose.
It should be the same with the MM and LTC.
My mind is getting pulled in a whole lot of different directions on this whole MM law..I don't smoke it, haven't in years, i have C.O.P.D.
That's the only reason i don't. I see nothing wrong with it. I'd much rather ride in a car with someone that's smoked a bowl than someone that's sucked down a 6 pack.
What i don't like about the MM is like in R.I.......
DR: What is your medical condition?
STONER: When I accidentally bang my head on something, it hurts.
DR: OH, here's your Stoner license..

This has come up in other states that have Medical Marijuana laws.

You are federally prohibited from owning firearms. Can you still have your MA LTC? Yes. Unless you bring it up.

It won't be a problem until the gov starts pulling medical records.

I agree. This is creating a huge window of opportunity to further restrict the rights of legal gun owners. Inmo, unless there is some legal precedent set to circumvent federal law, then I would say people need to decide whether their priority is getting stoned or owning guns, it's as simple as that unfortunately. As twisted as it is, though, there is nothing preventing you from getting hammered with liquor or other prescriptive meds every day.[rolleyes]

Sadly, MM isn't about getting "stoned".

How Does Medical Marijuana Help Cancer? | LIVESTRONG.COM

What's interesting here, is that the FDA, a federal organization has approved the use. Wouldn't that bypass and override federal douchebaggery? It would be interesting to find out.

The Food and Drug Administration has approved the use of the cannabinoid tetrahyrocannabinol, or THC, to treat nausea and vomiting in cancer patients, according to the American Cancer Society. According to the Institute of Medicine (see reference 3), THC is a composite chemical of marijuana and generally accepted as marijuana's "active ingredient," given it both provides the "high" for which some smoke marijuana illegally as well as the therapeutic qualities for which the FDA approved it for medical use. Citing studies published between 1975 and 2005, the American Cancer Society explained how various clinical tests established that THC viably reduced pain, nausea, inhibited vomiting and stimulated appetites in cancer patients. Furthermore, the Institute of Medicine reports that the sense of euphoria and sedation associated with marijuana evidenced therapeutic value, as it was desirous for the patients. The American Cancer Society avers that while some researchers used raw marijuana to conduct these studies, some used pharmaceutical substitutes that contained either THC or a synthetic version. Such pharmaceutical substitutes never required smoking--patients ingested pills and oral sprays or wore skin patches instead.

However, we all know: because Pharms can't profit off a naturally growing plant, it provides several thousand useless jobs (DEA) and taxing it would be tough, at best, it'll still be illegal because of the cocksuckers known as DEA, Pfizer, Capital Hill, etc....

How Does Medical Marijuana Help Cancer? | LIVESTRONG.COM

What's interesting here, is that the FDA, a federal organization has approved the use. Wouldn't that bypass and override federal douchebaggery? It would be interesting to find out.

However, we all know: because Pharms can't profit off a naturally growing plant, it provides several thousand useless jobs (DEA) and taxing it would be tough, at best, it'll still be illegal because of the cocksuckers known as DEA, Pfizer, Capital Hill, etc....

What the FDA approves cannot supersede federal law. MJ is written as illegal in federal law. Like the ATF, the FDA can only enforce the law as written (or interpreted by the courts). They cannot make up new law. Yes they do try to do that but they do so illegally. So the FDA approving MJ for use in cancer treatment means jack to a federal prosecutor or court. However, it may mean something to a congresscritter when he/she goes to vote on legalizing MJ.

What i don't like about the MM is like in R.I.......
DR: What is your medical condition?
STONER: When I accidentally bang my head on something, it hurts.
DR: OH, here's your Stoner license..

Keep in mind that this is something you should not need a license for. You don't need a lic for cigs or booze you just need to be old enough. Both of which are way worse for you than pot will ever be. So since you truly shouldn't need a "reason" then who cares what that unnecessary reason is?

In the same way that you should be able to answer the "Why do you need a lic. to carry" question on the application with "Because the sky is blue" or "Because **** YOU that's why!" Then your reason for a pot card shouldn't have to be anything more than "because." It has only ever been illegal due to the pressure put on by the tobacco loby because they know full legalization will put them out of business in 1 generation or less. Most likely less now a days...

It isn't???? look at the license holders in R.I. The abuse of it is what has me against it. I have a few close friends in R.I. that have nothing wrong with them but being over 40.. Drs. are handing them out like mailmen hand you junkmail.
My brother died from cancer of the esophagus, and weed was the only thing that helped him with pain and appetite. but at the time, it was illegal. THOSE are the people that should get it, not the stoners with an easy Dr. And anyone in RI will tell you the name of a Dr. that will give them.

Wasn't there an actual case/situation like this a few years ago? If I remember correct (an I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong) Some dude with a license to cultivate had his LTC, his stash was robbed, and when the police became involved, he lost his license, despite being legally able to grow.
Google it, there are precedence cases involving this. The man did nothing wrong, but due to a lack of legislation involving cases like these, he lost his license.

Sent from my god awful iPhone using Tapatalk 2

When i got my Disabled Parking Placard, I had to turn in my CDL. I had to choose.
It should be the same with the MM and LTC.

NO, IT ABSOLUTELY SHOULDN'T BE! The truth is that in a truly free society, I wouldn't need a card for either....the card only represents subjugation by the state on the population... Without an LTC, I still would not go on a murdering spree and without a MM card, I wouldn't do anything to harm anybody but my own lungs...

People need to stop using THEIR feelings on what MY freedoms are and accept that it shouldn't concern them unless it directly affects them

Why would having a MM card by itself be proof that any "use" of a substance had taken place?
Possessing the card and use of a substance are two different things.
There are many LTC holders that do not and have never possessed a firearm.
There are many people with a drivers license that do not own or drive a car.
There are many people who are written prescriptions for medications who have never filled those prescriptions.
-Just sayin

Why would having a MM card by itself be proof that any "use" of a substance had taken place?
Possessing the card and use of a substance are two different things.
There are many LTC holders that do not and have never possessed a firearm.
There are many people with a drivers license that do not own or drive a car.
There are many people who are written prescriptions for medications who have never filled those prescriptions.
-Just sayin

Unless they just cross reference all MM card holders and LTC holders and get a list spit out by a computer telling them who has both, then they are already looking at YOU for a reason, and looking hard. Having the MM card alone is not proof positive that you use it but, it certainly is reasonable suspicion and probably enough to get your LTC suspended and guns confiscated pending their investigation. Meanwhile you are left trying to explain why you: Went to a doctor. Claimed you have a "condition". Were prescribed a "drug" (their term not mine) to treat the condition. And then for some inexplicable reason never filled the Rx or took your "medicine".

Not that I agree with any of the bullshit people have to go through just to smoke a harmless plant. However we do live in chinachusetts they will use ANY excuse to declare you unsuitable.

NO, IT ABSOLUTELY SHOULDN'T BE! The truth is that in a truly free society, I wouldn't need a card for either....the card only represents subjugation by the state on the population... Without an LTC, I still would not go on a murdering spree and without a MM card, I wouldn't do anything to harm anybody but my own lungs...

People need to stop using THEIR feelings on what MY freedoms are and accept that it shouldn't concern them unless it directly affects them

+1

Post 38:

It isn't???? look at the license holders in R.I. The abuse of it is what has me against it. I have a few close friends in R.I. that have nothing wrong with them but being over 40.. Drs. are handing them out like mailmen hand you junkmail.
My brother died from cancer of the esophagus, and weed was the only thing that helped him with pain and appetite. but at the time, it was illegal. THOSE are the people that should get it, not the stoners with an easy Dr. And anyone in RI will tell you the name of a Dr. that will give them.

Post 39:

anyone who wants it should be able to have it. as free men in a free society we should be able to make our own choices as to what we ingest/snort/smoke/whatever.

Post 40:

100% in agreement!!

Quickest flip-flop I've seen on the internets.

Sen. Kerry... Gov. Romney... Which of you registered as Electric Eric?

Last edited:
It has only ever been illegal due to the pressure put on by the tobacco loby because they know full legalization will put them out of business in 1 generation or less. Most likely less now a days...

Actually, it doesn't have anything to do with tobacco. More like the paper business. And white guys who didn't appreciate blacks and mexicans dancing wif dare dates.

Why is Marijuana Illegal? « Drug WarRant

Pretty much every post is this thread is without value. This is almost entirely uncharted territory and I promise you that there will be some interesting cases in the next few years. Sheriffs in Oregon started denying CCW permits to people with Medical Marijuana cards. They were challenged and lost all the way to the Oregon Supreme Court and then they petitioned the US Supreme Court who denied cert. As far as I know the feds have yet to take any action in that state and Oregon residents cannot be denied a carry license if they have a medical marijuana card.

Tomorrow I'm schedule for my twice a decade physical and plan to ask my primary care Dr. about getting myself one of those cards once they become available. Please don't infer that I support or encourage the use of marijuana for medical or other reasons.

From formerly working at a gun shop.... the ATF sent a letter to all gun shops over a year ago in short saying if you see the person has a MM card or tries to use a MM card as a form of ID you are to reject the sale because they are addicted to an illegal substance (as determined by the federal gov.) I had a copy of the letter posted on another thread with this subject... if you Google " atf letter about medical marijuana" it is the first PDF shown.

Last edited:
From formerly working at a gun shop.... the ATF sent a letter to all gun shops over a year ago in short saying if you see the person has a MM card or tries to use a MM card as a form of ID you are to reject the sale because they are addicted to an illegal substance (as determined by the federal gov.) I had a copy of the letter posted on another thread with this subject... if you Google " atf letter about medical marijuana" it is the first PDF shown.

the straight dope from the ATF

http://www.atf.gov/files/press/rele...all-ffls-marijuana-for-medicinal-purposes.pdf

[/end thread]

Last edited:
Exactly why i said I'm all over the place with the MM laws...why not just say screw it and fully legalize and tax?

Why do we need another tax? Can we not just make something harmless legal and be done with it?

The gubberment has enough of my tax dollars and they shouldn't be allowed to tax and control an individuals harmless personal behavior

Last edited:
Why do we need another tax? Can we not just make something harmless legal and be done with it?

The gubberment has enough of my tax dollars and they shouldn't be allowed to tax and control an individuals harmless personal behavior

You should fix that quote. I didn't say that, someone else did.

However while I think it should just be completely legal, we all know that would never be tolerated by the politicians. The only way they can stomach it is if they tax it like alcohol.

Unless the current government is dissolved and a new better one created, the best we can hope for is for MJ to be made legal under a tax scheme like alcohol. This is unfortunately the reality we live in.

Back
Top Bottom