Medical Marijuana and Lawful Gun Ownership

Tell him to keep buying his stuff wherever he has been getting it. Don't go for the card, my 2 cents.
They will come after your lic..

There is no card or database yet for patients. All that is needed is a sign doctors recommendation.

Pretty much every post is this thread is without value. This is almost entirely uncharted territory and I promise you that there will be some interesting cases in the next few years. Sheriffs in Oregon started denying CCW permits to people with Medical Marijuana cards. They were challenged and lost all the way to the Oregon Supreme Court and then they petitioned the US Supreme Court who denied cert. As far as I know the feds have yet to take any action in that state and Oregon residents cannot be denied a carry license if they have a medical marijuana card.

Tomorrow I'm schedule for my twice a decade physical and plan to ask my primary care Dr. about getting myself one of those cards once they become available. Please don't infer that I support or encourage the use of marijuana for medical or other reasons.

What are the chances that we'll see MDs writing prescriptions? I would think doing so could jam them up with the DEA and jeopardize their ability to write any prescriptions, no?

Well not sure about the carry but the question on the 4473 is " e. Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana, or any depressant, stimulant, or narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?" as such under FEDERAL law pot is ILLEGAL. So if you can not legally buy one I would hazard to guess you can not legally carry what you can not legally buy..

Why even bother with a card?

Your smokin pot illegally now...you are still smoking it illegally with it.

Why even bother with a card?

Your smokin pot illegally now...you are still smoking it illegally with it.

The difference is that one way gets you to State and Federal PMITA prison and the other gets you to only Federal PMITA prison if the Feds decide to prosecute.

What are the chances that we'll see MDs writing prescriptions? I would think doing so could jam them up with the DEA and jeopardize their ability to write any prescriptions, no?

0%. In states where medical MJ is legal doctors can only write a "recommendation". All prescriptions are subject to DEA oversight.

0%. In states where medical MJ is legal doctors can only write a "recommendation". All prescriptions are subject to DEA oversight.
The correct technical answer. Doctors will write whatever in this state just as they do in every other state with a MM law.

A). This middle of the road BS on MJ is dangerous..just like Mr. Miagi said..walk left side of road, okay. Walk right side of road, okay. Walk down middle, squish just like grape. Legalize it or don't. Makes more sense to legalize, sell, tax and regulate like booze. A lot of money to be made there. Poof! Bye bye deficit!

B) A previous poster got it right: you have a choice to make. Guns or weed. I keep my guns and get a $100 citation (that you do not have to pay, ever) from time to time.

The difference is that one way gets you to State and Federal PMITA prison and the other gets you to only Federal PMITA prison if the Feds decide to prosecute.

The big difference is that non-traditional pharmacists will be able to sell to MM card holders without fear or arrest or prosecution by the state of MA.

anyone who wants it should be able to have it. as free men in a free society we should be able to make our own choices as to what we ingest/snort/smoke/whatever.
We really aren't free. You are only as free as how you choose to live. When the masters decide they don't like your choice you will see how free you really are.

I wish they would give out license to grow to fill orders for the places selling . Or at least let people with card grow x amount for there own use like most states do .

I think it was normal(spelling) paid for the billboard next to the museum of science. Not sure how to word this ... but They did the math and if they sold pot in stores and taxed it like cigarettes, compared to the black market in mass . Mass would have a surplus of tax money in just under a year. They could lower all taxes state wide and by just taxing mj being sold in stores.

Mean while mini I , wants to raise income tax , raise sale tax on unhealthy items to pay for schools and roads derp.

I think it was normal(spelling) paid for the billboard next to the museum of science. Not sure how to word this ... but They did the math and if they sold pot in stores and taxed it like cigarettes, compared to the black market in mass . Mass would have a surplus of tax money in just under a year. They could [STRIKE=undefined]lower all taxes [/STRIKE] SPEND MORE ON WELFARE PROGRAMS state wide and by just taxing mj being sold in stores.

FIFY!

Wash your mouth out with soap, it's blasphemy to think that a politician would lower all taxes just because they found another source of money! [thinking]

I forget the number lol....,

But it was crazy how much money the state would make just buy taxing a pack of joints like a regular pack of smokes.

I know most gun guys might (or is it mite) diss the hemp fest crowd. But lets face facts . Gun guys talk about openly disobeying unfair laws etc , the hemp fest crowd dose it as a huge f you every year.

The state would be thrilled to furnish the Feds with a list of MM cardholders. A simple way to reduce the number of licensees in MA. I'm curious, though, if the sharing of this info is covered under HIPAA? Other states have done it, so I guess it hasn't really been tested yet.

FIFY!

Wash your mouth out with soap, it's blasphemy to think that a politician would lower all taxes just because they found another source of money! [thinking]

Like the temporary toll on the Pike that was going to go away once they finished the big dig... why keep your promise when you can find better uses for the money :)

The state would be thrilled to furnish the Feds with a list of MM cardholders. A simple way to reduce the number of licensees in MA. I'm curious, though, if the sharing of this info is covered under HIPAA? Other states have done it, so I guess it hasn't really been tested yet.
That would create an interesting dilemma. As far as anyone knows, the state does not provide the feds with a list of people ticketed for simple possession. And state law prohibits a PD from denying someone an LTC for a civil marijuana citation.

So, a friend of mine is going to apply for a Massachusetts Medical Marijuana card. He currently has an LTC-A and is a sport shooter. Mostly he likes busting clays, but I digress.

He called me asking what the implications would be. I told him to call a firearms attorney.

However, as far as I know this is new legal territory. Regardless of Massachusetts laws regarding medical marijuana, pot is still federally illegal, and the feds don't recognize medical marijuana.

• Would this disqualify him for a Massachusetts firearms license?
  • Wouldn't oblige him to answer "yes" on question "Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana, or any depressant, stimulant, or narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?" when buying a firearm?

Anything said on here is pure speculation at best since this is new law. Let's just say I don't think it would help your cause if the chief sees that you would have a marijuana card. Brings up the whole "suitable" person thing.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom