• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Medford MA LTC Renewal Wait Times?

Hey all, no, not for the interview, already did that and submitted my money etc. Just waiting now for the actual decision. Thanks.

I actually accidentally let my license expire (no guns in possession) so I had to do a renewal of an expired license which is essentially the same as a normal renewal. DOH

Don't know about renewals but it was just over 3 months from interview to LTC in my mailbox for my first time LTC.

Also Medford will put Target and Hunting on first-time LTCs but should upgrade them on renewal and should not downgrade an unrestricted LTC at any time. I really wish I would have researched this detail before moving here.

Don't know about renewals but it was just over 3 months from interview to LTC in my mailbox for my first time LTC.

Also Medford will put Target and Hunting on first-time LTCs but should upgrade them on renewal and should not downgrade an unrestricted LTC at any time. I really wish I would have researched this detail before moving here.
Thanks for your info!!

Update:
Called into status line and was told I was approved. Now what? Does it take awhile to get to local PD?

Medford police are shit.

My buddy left his cell phone in my car. So we coordinated by email that he would pickup at Medford PD after work.
I went to Medford PD, was redirected to the officers area, said my buddy left his phone, can he pick it up here after work?
All the responses were “no way. I don’t want that responsibility. Etc”

Gee thanks. He’ll pick it up in like 3 hours and that’s too much to ask. Public servants eh?

Update:
Called into status line and was told I was approved. Now what? Does it take awhile to get to local PD?

It'll show up in your mailbox whenever they feel like sending it.

Medford police are shit

I would describe them more as being "dicks" than being "shit" in that they are generally effective at policing the town, but are certainly unpleasant to interact with.

In my town the PD called me when it arrived and I picked it up from the dispatcher.

I'm not sure what they're actually supposed to do (mail it or have you pick it up) or if that's codified in MGL, but anecdotally on this forum, it seems most towns do not mail them. Medford police mailed mine to me in a standard white envelope with an official Medford PD printed return address but my name and address were handwritten on the envelope.

So really I’m waiting on the state to send it?

The state tends to be quicker than the towns actually. Towns can sometimes "sit on" your LTC for a while before mailing it or letting you come get it.

Medford police are shit.

My buddy left his cell phone in my car. So we coordinated by email that he would pickup at Medford PD after work.
I went to Medford PD, was redirected to the officers area, said my buddy left his phone, can he pick it up here after work?
All the responses were “no way. I don’t want that responsibility. Etc”

Just leave it in a safe deposit box. They will grab it for you

So really I’m waiting on the state to send it?

The state will send it to the PD.

I dropped off my renewal and fee to my town’s dispatchers on June 1. One June 4 I received a receipt indicating that they had entered the renewal application into the DCJIS system on June 3. In early August the PD told me to pick up my new LTC from the dispatchers.

Expect 2-3 months. I suspect that most of the delay that I encountered was due to the state rather than my town’s PD but I have no way to know for sure.

Remember this is the same town that had a drunken LEO accost a motorist with a handgun over some roadrage BS, but they just let him "retire" instead of prosecuting him for ADW and CUI, so that should explain part of the mentality going on there...

-Mike

Expect 2-3 months. I suspect that most of the delay that I encountered was due to the state rather than my town’s PD but I have no way to know for sure.

The only way to really know I think is to be friends with an LO in a non douche town, who will actually tell you the legit
turnaround time. I am betting though that the state might have started dragging ass on things like renewals because now with the unlimited grace period thing they will have less people bitching about it...

In the past most delays beyond a month were nearly always from Turtling by the town PD.

-Mike

The only way to really know I think is to be friends with an LO in a non douche town, who will actually tell you the legit
turnaround time. I am betting though that the state might have started dragging ass on things like renewals because now with the unlimited grace period thing they will have less people bitching about it...

In the past most delays beyond a month were nearly always from Turtling by the town PD.

-Mike
Makes sense! Thanks

this is the same town that had a drunken LEO accost a motorist with a handgun over some roadrage BS

idk if it's because I live here or because it's so egregious but the incident you're referring to is so memorable that when I read your words I was instantly transported back to the feeling I had when I first saw it

I am betting though that the state might have started dragging ass on things like renewals because now with the unlimited grace period thing they will have less people bitching about it...
God help us if DCJIS gets their hands on any of
those 72 tubs that the RMV is frantically emptying of
all their unprocessed out-of-state DUI notifications...

When I was younger I lived in Meffa. Old COP Kerwin did the interviews. He said to me: "I'll give you the license but if you screw up, I'll bust your ass." Then he got drunk, drove across Rt 16 and smack into the diner on the other side. He had a choice between jail and early retirement which he took. They had a parade for him. All in all, not a bad guy. Jack.

Back
Top Bottom