• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Medford MA Data Point (July 2018)

New Member here. Recent homeowner in Medford Ma.

Applied for LTC "A" Unrestricted at the local PD today.

The officer was nice and the process was very smooth - finger prints, photos were taken and I was on my way.

There were no discussions about the reasons I had for requesting "unrestricted" which were "For protection outside of my home, for protection while camping and hiking in backwoods areas and for all lawful purposes". When I initiated the topic for discussion I was told that all Medford applicants automatically get the "Target and Hunting" restriction based on the Chiefs policy and I should receive my card within 6-8 weeks. Furthermore, I am welcome to renew my LTC and request "unrestricted" in 5-6 years.

Great...

Congrats and good luck! There is a thread on here titled "How long did your LTC take..."
Not to disappoint you but I have a friend still waiting- had interview in February (town of Reading!)
Malden has a nice short range indoor club for a quick 24 hour shooting!

Hope it doesn't take too long. Malden took a very long time for my last renewal. it's too bad they only give out restricted. Welcome to the forum, and the neighborhood.

all Medford applicants automatically get the "Target and Hunting" restriction based on the Chiefs policy

wow.

I read statements like this, and I'm truly absolutely dumbfounded. Here's a guy who's deciding that you have no right to protect yourself. Screw the constitution, screw the law, HE has personally made a decision, it's HIS policy. And it's backed up by his department, by (presumably) his town, his constituents.

Just what gives him the right to decide that you don't have the right to protect yourself?

I know, preaching to the choir and rhetorical question.

But, really, seriously dumbfounded by this kind of crap.

all Medford applicants automatically get the "Target and Hunting" restriction based on the Chiefs policy

wow.

I read statements like this, and I'm truly absolutely dumbfounded. Here's a guy who's deciding that you have no right to protect yourself. Screw the constitution, screw the law, HE has personally made a decision, it's HIS policy. And it's backed up by his department, by (presumably) his town, his constituents.

Just what gives him the right to decide that you don't have the right to protect yourself?

I know, preaching to the choir and rhetorical question.

But, really, seriously dumbfounded by this kind of crap.

I doubt I have any recourse in the matter. Rumor has it the Chief may be close to retirement so it may be a waiting game to hope his replacement is more aligned with the constitution, general alignment with MOST local townships and northeast states like NH and ME.

The funny thing is I immigrated to the USA from the Soviet Union in the late 80s to enjoy all of the benefits provided to citizens under the constitution within a functional democracy. I became a legal citizen in 1997 and have found over the years that there is a bit of a gradient in the US when it comes to protecting rights.

The funny thing is I immigrated to the USA from the Soviet Union in the late 80s to enjoy all of the benefits provided to citizens under the constitution within a functional democracy.
how about grabbing a sign and marching in front of the state house. enjoy a couple of those benefits right now, freedom of speech and the right to assemble.

Anytime someone I know is moving too or around MA, I point them to the town ratings by permits issued. Some where there was one that actually broke out the numbers issued. Medford has been famous for not granting unrestricted, though some people have got them.

MA city/town ratings for LTC

I received my LTC today with Target & Hunting restriction. Under 3 months wait but now the wait for the Cheifs' retirement.....

I received my LTC today with Target & Hunting restriction. Under 3 months wait but now the wait for the Cheifs' retirement.....

I'm hopeful about that too, though in another thread the possibility of nothing changing was raised. Some towns apparently the policy stems from the mayor, not the CoP. I know the mayor of Medford is a dem, but not sure how vocal/anti-2A she is. In addition, in the megathread there is a guy who already has his Target and Hunting LTC from Braintree and the police there say that even though they now issue unrestricted by default, they will not upgrade him until it expires.

I grew up in Meffa. I could tell you stories about the Sacco family but that would just get me on another list. Jack.

The character of Sacc-o-crap was obvious when the video of the off-duty cop threatening to shoot the guy for a traffic violation in Medford Square came and went without the cop being fired :rolleyes:

The character of Sacc-o-crap was obvious when the video of the off-duty cop threatening to shoot the guy for a traffic violation in Medford Square came and went without the cop being fired :rolleyes:

Lol you mean without the cop getting prosecuted for ADW. That guy got to "retire".

-Mike

Lol you mean without the cop getting prosecuted for ADW. That guy got to "retire".

-Mike

I didn't realize they forced him out at least. Must be nice, being a member of the elite. He gets to threaten people and I get to pay his pension. I meet every statutory requirement to concealed carry and I don't get to!

Wow, that sucks.
I recall hustling to get mine for the opposite reason, old Chief handed out LTC-A's like candy.
hindsight is 20/20, shoulda waited for the (bastards) retirement.
Sorry to hear your rights got indiscriminately trampled OP.

I'm hopeful about that too, though in another thread the possibility of nothing changing was raised. Some towns apparently the policy stems from the mayor, not the CoP. I know the mayor of Medford is a dem, but not sure how vocal/anti-2A she is. In addition, in the megathread there is a guy who already has his Target and Hunting LTC from Braintree and the police there say that even though the showed ey know issue unrestricted by default, they will not upgrade him until it expires.

There's so much more. I could write a book. I remember when Kerwin was the COP. I saw him for a renewal. He showed me a hole in the floor next to his desk. Seems his cops took a gun from a kid and they were downstairs playing with it when it "discharged". The bullet came by him and went into the ceiling. He was really pissed. Gave me the renewal but told me that he'd "bust my ass if I screwed up". He was half in the wrapper as usual. Later he hopped into his car, shot across Rt 16 and into Carolls diner across the road. They gave him the choice between retirement and court. He retired and they had the parade. Actually not a bad guy, just liked the bottle. Jack.

Wow, that sucks.
I recall hustling to get mine for the opposite reason, old Chief handed out LTC-A's like candy.
hindsight is 20/20, shoulda waited for the (bastards) retirement.
Sorry to hear your rights got indiscriminately trampled OP.

You're saying a previous Medford chief gave unrestricted licenses? If so that makes me a little more hopeful, at least that Medford's chief dictates this policy rather than the mayor. I've heard, for example in Brookline, that it's the mayor.

shot across Rt 16 and into Carolls diner across the road.

Like drove a car into the building? Wow! Caroll's can't catch a break. Recently they've struggled because of the crazy construction on that street. Really nice people who work there too.

You're saying a previous Medford chief gave unrestricted licenses? If so that makes me a little more hopeful, at least that Medford's chief dictates this policy rather than the mayor. I've heard, for example in Brookline, that it's the mayor.

Like drove a car into the building? Wow! Caroll's can't catch a break. Recently they've struggled because of the crazy construction on that street. Really nice people who work there too.
Well, this was in the '50s. They issued for "Life and property" and then for "Protection of life", then ALP. They were not into restrictions. If they were pissed off at you, they would do "hunting and target". Jack.

Ah no, just sayin I was in a similar kinda, opposite circumstance around my application 8 years ago. I'm from Western Mass.

Back
Top Bottom