• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Medford and Cambridge - Restrict Current LTC?

MAJoe

NES Member
So, I may be stuck moving to a shit town. I'd plan on moving to a better town prior to renewing, but my concern would be one of these towns restricting a current unrestricted license. Is there any history of this? I'm guessing both would renew an unrestricted license as restricted seeing the 2015 licensing scorecard from Comm2a (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks!

Anecdotal evidence suggests that those two towns would not add restrictions. Still, I would suggest looking at some of the greener surrounding towns.

Restricting an already issued LTC is very rare, since the new town has to contact the original town and ask them to do it.

But, it is not unheard of for a new town to restrict an LTC upon renewal. Some towns that like to restrict LTCs have a de-facto grandfathering and will issue unrestricted if you already have one, and some other towns won't.

A starting point would be to ask the firearms licensing officer in the town you re considering moving to.

Last edited:
from the feedback i have seen here if you are unrestricted an renew in a red town they wont add restrictions, i dont think i have seen anyone here say that they got them added when they renewed

What do you mean stuck? Someone is holding a gun to your head? [laugh]

-Mike

I assume you meant it is NOT unheard of for a new town to restrict an LTC upon renewal. I believe that Winchester has been doing this recently.
Correct.

I have heard of one case where a resident was ordered to surrender his LTC for replacement with a restricted license, since the issuing town issued unrestricted in error (this was not a case of a license from another town)

So, bad stuff can happen - particularly with towns that are on a restriction jihad.

There are rumors that Watertown isn't even downgrading renewals anymore at this point but I still wouldn't trust that town at all. They're still 110% pure shit as far as I'm concerned.

-Mike
Watertown is surrounded by better towns - not sure why anyone would choose to live there. Some of those will even issue unrestricted.

There are rumors that Watertown isn't even downgrading renewals anymore at this point but I still wouldn't trust that town at all. They're still 110% pure shit as far as I'm concerned.

-Mike

I don't know if the rumors are true or not... I'd be shocked if they were.

If true, I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't an extra hoop to jump through involved, or additional knob-polishing required.

I don't know if the rumors are true or not... I'd be shocked if they were.

If true, I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't an extra hoop to jump through involved, or additional knob-polishing required.

Maybe, the stuff I've heard only pertains to move in renewals. EG people that moved in unrestricted, license expired, then they had to renew in Watertown. Years ago the shit I heard about that town was
absurd. People were moving in and then Watertown would try to call up their issuing authority to get their license restricted upon receipt of the change of address form. Some LOs yielded to this others iddn't. Then they would **** people square in the ass at renewal and downgrade them if they hadn't been already. But that was years ago. It's hard to get current data on that town because most people get scared away from the licensing process there. (probably because Watertown is very obstructionist. )

-Mike

What do you mean stuck? Someone is holding a gun to your head? [laugh]

-Mike

I always wonder about this. People saying they have to move to this or that town?? I figure it could only be two things: their employer requires residency, which I believe has been shot down as illegal, or at least largely ignored. Some fire and police departments used to require it but I suppose if it was a police dept, the LTC wouldn't be a concern, or they must move to wherever their parents decide to live.

I always wonder about this. People saying they have to move to this or that town?? I figure it could only be two things: their employer requires residency, which I believe has been shot down as illegal, or at least largely ignored. Some fire and police departments used to require it but I suppose if it was a police dept, the LTC wouldn't be a concern, or they must move to wherever their parents decide to live.

My bet is at least like 7 out of 10 times it usually involves the demands of some broad. [rofl]

-Mike

Maybe, the stuff I've heard only pertains to move in renewals. EG people that moved in unrestricted, license expired, then they had to renew in Watertown. Years ago the shit I heard about that town was
absurd. People were moving in and then Watertown would try to call up their issuing authority to get their license restricted upon receipt of the change of address form. Some LOs yielded to this others iddn't. Then they would **** people square in the ass at renewal and downgrade them if they hadn't been already. But that was years ago. It's hard to get current data on that town because most people get scared away from the licensing process there. (probably because Watertown is very obstructionist. )

-Mike

I have a few friends in Watertown, some who moved in with unrestricted ltcs from other towns. They don't downgrade upon change of address but from what I've heard they always slap on restrictions on the first renewal regardless of what license you came in with.

Medford does issue unrestricted to some degree even though they are a "red" town. Not sure what he latest trend is with them. If I recall from that big excel table (from GOAL or Comm2A) I thought they issued about half unrestricted bit could be wrong.

Last edited:
someone I know just received their LTC in Medford with restrictions. I've heard Medford always has restrictions.

Back
Top Bottom