Meat

peterk123

NES Member
All the inflation related posts have me thinking how blessed we are. We have two deer in the freezer so far and 30 kokanee salmon. I have trout and whitefish available anytime I'm willing to swing a nymph in the river. Rifle season starts Saturday and I'm going to find that elusive elk.

Pic of the deer I took with my bow last weekend. Quartered heavily toward me. Got both lungs and she only went 50 yards. I could hear the crash. I love when I hear the crash.

20221015_092110.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations. Nice.

I was watching the Winchester chick hunt the Powder River in Montana the other day passing up buck after buck. Peddling the 6.8 western round like it was the best thing since sliced bread.

Of course that hunt is like 7 grand. Lol. That buys a lot of meat!

Rifle opener today. Pouring rain and 40 degrees. Prefect weather. No elk to be found but my son in law took a whitetail doe at 60 yards. That puts three in the freezer for the family so far this year. I have one tag left for a deer which I will try to fill next Thursday. Then I need to find that elusive elk.

Where abouts in Montana? My Alaskan son and his wife are currently at her mother's ranch in Deer Lodge. They'll fill the freezers with deer, a no-brainer because there are so many there walking around the house within range. Not "hunting", just meat for the winter. Jack.

Where abouts in Montana? My Alaskan son and his wife are currently at her mother's ranch in Deer Lodge. They'll fill the freezers with deer, a no-brainer because there are so many there walking around the house within range. Not "hunting", just meat for the winter. Jack.
We have been hunting in the Livingston area mostly because that's where we reside. We got one out of the Harlowtown area as well. I'm thinking of heading to the south eastern part of the state, into custer national forest because I believe I can pick up some over the counter tags there, and therefore don't have to burn my general tag.

The whitetail can be tough around here. Most sit on private ag land and the ones in the woods are just so aware of their surroundings. I couldn't get them with the bow. The muley does are much easier because they are kind of curious. I was fortunate enough to draw a B tag for one.

The hunting out here is next level, especially if you are targeting meat and not big antlers.

Back
Top Bottom