• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"meat eater" on Netflix!

whacko

NES Member
Just got my 30 days of free net flix.

Into episode 4 of season 5 of the series "meat eater". For the love of God this show is amazing. Moose hunt in Alaska. Black tail hunt in the northwest. Episode 2 they are floating out quarters of fresh moose using inflatable rafts.....stop and overnight on the river and land a couple greyling for surf and turf under the stars. Followed by episode 4 which is a cooking episode on how to use up all the leftover ground game meat by "bringing your cooking to the next level".

If you have Netflix check it out.

Last edited:
I've watched every episode on Netflix now. I also listen to his podcasts. What I like about his hunting show is the lack of "endorsements" for products. Sure.....he has a deal with vortex optics because you see the branding on his bino carrier on his chest....but that's it. Most of the other hunting shows are all selling you something and it gets old. His delivery and his naration are just pure love of hunting. He's as close to a "real feller" that you'll find in a hunting show.......doesn't hunt farm raised and penned in "trophy" animals. Politically he's an activist for access to public lands.......and he hunts mostly public lands.

His podcasts will have you laughing your ass off with his sense of humor too.

I've never seen it, and don't think I've even heard of him, his book, or the show. But, that was a classic exchange in which both sides came with respectful differing opinions and didn't just shout at one another.
That's Steve rinella for you. He has a passion for hunting that I've never seen With any other person that hosts a "hunting show". By that I mean his passion is for how hunting brings us closer to life if that makes any sense.

Additionally I found his "respect for the clarity of the vegan's vision" statement to be accurate. Vegans......while their opinion is still moonbat crazy.....are not hypocrites. The soccer mom's that feed their kids organic free range chicken nuggets for lunch that think hunting is an abomination are the ones I won't even acknowledge because they are so off the mark its borderline insane.

Also as you could see from his question about the pamphlet......his sense of humor is awesome. Check out the show or his meat eater podcasts......hell have you in stocked laughing.

Last edited:
I found this show on netflix after I got rid of cable. The show is very well put together & Steve is a great host. It's interesting to see the hunts that don't always end up with meat in the freezer. Makes it a bit more relate-able, since every hunt doesn't end up with the trophy animal.

when people are anti hunting and complain about killing animals, I always ask if they are vegan. On the rare occasion that they say yes, I then ask them how badly they feel when they pick a tomato.

when people are anti hunting and complain about killing animals, I always ask if they are vegan. On the rare occasion that they say yes, I then ask them how badly they feel when they pick a tomato.
First question I ask is if they eat meat. If they say yes my response is "conversation is over".

Last edited:
That's Steve rinella for you. He has a passion for hunting that I've never seen With any other person that hosts a "hunting show". By that I mean his passion is for how hunting brings us closer to life if that makes any sense.

Additionally I found his "respect for the clarity of the vegan's vision" statement to be accurate. Vegans......while their opinion is still moonbat crazy.....are not hypocrites. The soccer mom's that feed their kids organic free range chicken nuggets for lunch that think hunting is an abomination are the ones I won't even acknowledge because they are so off the mark its borderline insane.

Also as you could see from his question about the pamphlet......his sense of humor is awesome. Check out the show or his meat eater podcasts......hell have you in stocked laughing.

That is one of the few hunting shows I watch. He is a class act on camera.

Bob

4-C3-E3338-3051-4054-B302-B7-D558-EFA4-E8.jpg

Good show. I loved the urban-forage episode when he served his guests roadkill raccoon. LOL

Netflix is sole distributer now, but the episodes are STILL only 22 min long. ????? They could pack so much more into this without any more filming. Just a few more hours of editing and you'd have a 40-min episode. Maybe next season.

Good show. I loved the urban-forage episode when he served his guests roadkill raccoon. LOL

Netflix is sole distributer now, but the episodes are STILL only 22 min long. ????? They could pack so much more into this without any more filming. Just a few more hours of editing and you'd have a 40-min episode. Maybe next season.
I think by far my favorite episode was the two girls he took hunting for the first time. They are members of his production crew and never hunted. He took them deer hunting on a friend's farm land in Michigan. Was a 2 part episode. He taught them how to shoot then took them squirrel hunting for some practice. They ate squirrel by a campfire that evening.....then he and his friend each took one to the stands the next morning....it was great stuff and great footage. It also is the episode that Steve presented me with his best quote so far.

"When the going gets tough.....the week....do a deer drive" - Steve Rinella

That quote.....and how he did that hunt proved to me that while he is a hunter that travels to the big game states.....at his core he is still a "regular feller" (his words not mine).

Last edited:
I watched 3-4 last night.
I liked the deer butchering and game cooking episodes. Also the first time female deer hunters in WI.
The one young lady was upset as she thought the buck was suffering while in the throes of death....The host explained that she had made a fine shot and sometimes killing an animal can be messy.........It's all part of the process.

I watched 3-4 last night.
I liked the deer butchering and game cooking episodes. Also the first time female deer hunters in WI.
The one young lady was upset as she thought the buck was suffering while in the throes of death....The host explained that she had made a fine shot and sometimes killing an animal can be messy.........It's all part of the process.
Yeah that's the one I was referencing.....I said Michigan.....I think your right it was Wisconsin.

If y'all like the show on TV make sure to check out his Podcast as well. I listen to it at work regularly and it really helps to get through the days of sitting at a disk.

A great place to start are the episodes labeled as "The Meat Tree" part 1 and 2. They should be episodes 87 and 88 respectively.

I never thought I'd like to listen to people just sitting around shooting the shit, but damn, they have a way of making you feel like you're sitting there at that table with them.

If y'all like the show on TV make sure to check out his Podcast as well. I listen to it at work regularly and it really helps to get through the days of sitting at a disk.

A great place to start are the episodes labeled as "The Meat Tree" part 1 and 2. They should be episodes 87 and 88 respectively.

I never thought I'd like to listen to people just sitting around shooting the shit, but damn, they have a way of making you feel like you're sitting there at that table with them.
Truth! I've almost spit my coffee out laughing listening to him and his crew.

Just started watching this and it’s very interesting. I don’t know anything about hunting or ever watched any hunting shows, so after they kill a game they just take what they want and leave the rest there ?

Just started watching this and it’s very interesting. I don’t know anything about hunting or ever watched any hunting shows, so after they kill a game they just take what they want and leave the rest there ?
Ah...no. Steve packs out all useable parts. He even packs out parts I'd consider questionable. Lol

What episode did you see where he left anything behind?

Almost all of them cuz I only see them bring a couple bags back but I could be totally wrong. But definitely ep 14. Or maybe he just cuts out meat only and leave the rest.

Almost all of them cuz I only see them bring a couple bags back but I could be totally wrong. But definitely ep 14. Or maybe he just cuts out meat only and leave the rest.
Dude,......it takes 3-4 trips from kill site to base camp to pack out a moose or large elk. Your only seeing what they bring on one trip.

Dude,......it takes 3-4 trips from kill site to base camp to pack out a moose or large elk. Your only seeing what they bring on one trip.

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks

If I started on season 5 instead of 7 I would of known they took multiple trips.

Last edited:
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks

If I started on season 5 instead of 7 I would of known they took multiple trips.

He probably makes more use of animal parts than 99+% of hunters out there. Liver, kidneys, heart. I keep the heard but I don't do filter organs, the coyots get those. I have seen him take intestines for making sausage casings and bones with little meat for making stock etc. Once a deer/elk/moose is stripped down of all the usable meat the only things really left are guts and bones and there is no reason to pack those out. A good portion of his shows are pack in pack out type shows not the ones sitting on the side of a soybean field, shooting one of the 50 deer in the field and hauling it out with a quad. He has some great cooking episodes too.

Love his shows and he is one of the 5 people I follow on Twitter. He is very well spoken and articulate. Definitely the kind of spokesman we need engaging with the fence sitters or anti hunters (not that the anti's will change their mind) but he is always respectful and works with facts and logic very well. Ted Nugent he is not!

He probably makes more use of animal parts than 99+% of hunters out there. Liver, kidneys, heart. I keep the heard but I don't do filter organs, the coyots get those. I have seen him take intestines for making sausage casings and bones with little meat for making stock etc. Once a deer/elk/moose is stripped down of all the usable meat the only things really left are guts and bones and there is no reason to pack those out. A good portion of his shows are pack in pack out type shows not the ones sitting on the side of a soybean field, shooting one of the 50 deer in the field and hauling it out with a quad. He has some great cooking episodes too.

Love his shows and he is one of the 5 people I follow on Twitter. He is very well spoken and articulate. Definitely the kind of spokesman we need engaging with the fence sitters or anti hunters (not that the anti's will change their mind) but he is always respectful and works with facts and logic very well. Ted Nugent he is not!
Awesome, thanks for clearing that up for me.

I have watched 4 episodes as a direct result of this thread. Normally, not a hunter at all for years. (wife has woodchuck pets...etc...) but watching these episodes were enlightening and from a perspective that is comforting to hear and impressive... no gory yahoo's 1 of these episodes is a trip that yields no meat.... but the experience is amazing.

Will be continuing with the series for a while......

I hear Alaska is nice this time of year...

Back
Top Bottom