• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Measuring

TonyD,

What type of dies, what caliber and in what machine? Some times is matters.

Respectfully,

jkelly

jkelly said:
TonyD,

What type of dies, what caliber and in what machine? Some times is matters.

Respectfully,

jkelly

J - thanks for your replies. The measuring was a general question, however, I'm using Lee deluxe rifle dies in a RCBS 4x4 for match .223 loads. I personally use Stoney Point guages with a set of dial calipers. I basically just wanted an idea of how everyone set up their dies for sizing and seating.

I guess I'm old school. I adjust the length until it touches the landing. Then I back off a .01 or two...

On that note, I have yet to see a big difference in accuracy between this way and the older way of loading up to the landings. Seems the same to me.

Rooster - The difference is increased chamber pressure and over working the brass. Also, that only works in bolt guns or single load ammo for the 600 yard line in an AR. The other rounds have to be mag length. In bolt guns, you can neck-size only the brass. In an auto-loader you have to full-length resize to set the shoulder back a couple thousandths so it will feed and chamber.

Tony:

So I need to get a full length sizing die for my Dillon 550B press... Glad I ordered the basic die set along with my Type S Neck Sizer... When will all this parts ordering end???

Jon

Mailmanx said:
Tony:

So I need to get a full length sizing die for my Dillon 550B press... Glad I ordered the basic die set along with my Type S Neck Sizer... When will all this parts ordering end???

Jon

Jon,

I don't think it ever ends, just slows down a bit after you get the need-to-haves.

Yes, you have to full-length size brass for semi-loaders to set the shoulder back. If not, you'll get cases stuck in the chamber and pull the rim off during extraction.

For accuarcy, you'll want to bump the shoulder back just enough for your chamber. Don't use those rounds in any other rifle. What I do is;

Using Stoney Point length gauges in a dial caliper, measure 10 cases fired from YOUR rifle and record the lengths from base to shoulder.

Average those ten figures then set your full size die to bump the shoulder back .002 - .003. Using a full lentgh sizing die WILL stretch the case neck and this is why you have to trim after.

However, by only "bumping" the shoulder back for your chamber, and not re-sizing to SAAMI spec, you will work and stretch the brass the least amount possible. Some of my LC brass is on its 6 load with no signs of failure.

Don't forget to de-bur and chamfer the case mouth after trimming. Be very careful to not take off too much brass in the process and weaken the case mouth.

Back
Top Bottom