• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Meanwhile in Oregon

zork51

NES Member
This is one snipet of a daily digest that I get from a 2A person who runs a blog citing State issues and National issues. He's a shooting instructor out in AZ and his comments are in italix at the end of each story. He also provides the link to the "whole" story from its source.

Here is the link to sign up to get daily emails (2) one for each mentioned. Click link, select DUF-digest and you're on you're way. Please share with all your 2A friends.

DUF-Digest Info Page

If not interested, "enjoy" this one below.

A Surprising Ally in Oregon:
The Liberal Gun Club said it plans to lobby against the proposed ban on magazines capable of holding more than 5 rounds of ammunition and limiting the purchase of ammunition to 20 rounds a month. "So, the big one we're focusing on right now is the Oregon bill," spokeswoman Lara Smith told the Washington Free Beacon. "That's just draconian. It's crazy." Speaking at the firearms convention SHOT in Las Vegas, Smith said the Oregon bill could potentially be dangerous because it limits how often gun owners can practice safely operating their guns. "It's literally limiting you to 20 rounds of ammunition, no matter how many firearms do you own, what they're for," Smith said. "So, where we're going to go with that is we'll go in and say, ‘Hey look, you're making people less safe. When you do something like this, this is how people get hurt. People aren't gonna know how to safely operate their firearms.' We'll go in and instead of saying, ‘Oh my god, you're horrible and evil and trying to ban guns,' we'll go in and say, ‘Have you thought about the safety impact of what you're doing?'" Smith said her group, which consists mostly of liberal gun owners who oppose new gun bans or magazine limits but favor what she describes as "root-cause mitigation," takes a different approach to approaching politicians... (This is the first report that I can recall of this group lobbying in defense of the RKBA. I was unable to find an estimate of its membership and I suspect that the numbers are not particularly high in Oregon. My past experience with Progressive gun owners – and the cause of my cynicism about them – is that most are comfortable “reasonable” regulation of the RKBA. I'd be happy to see this group prove me wrong.)

Liberal Gun Club to Lobby Against 'Draconian' Oregon Gun Control Bill

Liberal gun owner- Isn't that an Oxymoron?
Not at all. And the president of the Liberal Gun Club lives here in Massachusetts and they are our allies. Liberal gun owners are the factor that Democrats aren't taking into consideration when they push for increasingly draconian gun laws. How many people in states like Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, etc, do you think didn't want to vote for Trump and did anyway? They held their noses and did it because of where Clinton stood on the Second Amendment.

We will lose in the long run if we (and the NRA) continue to link Second Amendment rights with a rigid conservative ideology.

"So, where we're going to go with that is we'll go in and say, ‘Hey look, you're making people less safe. When you do something like this, this is how people get hurt. People aren't gonna know how to safely operate their firearms.'

Horsehockey. Why is it a bad thing to go in and say "Screw you, this is stupid, unconstitutional, and yes, "draconian." You don't get to tell us how much ammo we can have. Period, end of sentence."

OK, I guess that we should embrace the liberal gun owners, so that we can both fight to preserve the 2nd amendment.
I just wonder were they stand on "common sense gun regulation"

Did they vote the a-holes into office that are trying to take my rights away ?
Then no , they are not on my side.
Call me stubborn but if I see you hand off two full magazines to the guy shooting at me and then claim to be you're my pal , I'll call bullshit.
They might be hobby gun owners who can take it or leave it, but that's about it.

I met this guy at a halloween party who was Indiana Jones, he had what looked like a .40 with the slide back as part of his costume....because that's what you do, I guess.

I said hey I noticed your gun, whattya got there? Is it a .40?...(hoping to spark up a gun conversation)

He sort of avoided the question (maybe he didnt know what he had?) just said he hadn't shot it yet. he was never into guns, but got one after Trump was elected because he thought he needed some protection. :eek:

Now I can say that during Zero's administration, some of us probably bought guns because of fear...but a fear of losing access to what we wanted to shoot, not a fear of others.

guns can be a bridge between us and the lefties. that's probably true to some extent..... with some of the centrists.

but some of them are too far around the bend to reach.

Not at all. And the president of the Liberal Gun Club lives here in Massachusetts and they are our allies. Liberal gun owners are the factor that Democrats aren't taking into consideration when they push for increasingly draconian gun laws. How many people in states like Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, etc, do you think didn't want to vote for Trump and did anyway? They held their noses and did it because of where Clinton stood on the Second Amendment.

We will lose in the long run if we (and the NRA) continue to link Second Amendment rights with a rigid conservative ideology.

Perhaps the inevitable neglect from their fellow Democrats will convince them this "rigid conservative ideology" exists for a reason?

No, liberals ie Democrats are pushing gun control we will lose if we forget that.

No, liberals ie Democrats are pushing gun control we will lose if we forget that.
True, but there are otherwise liberal gun owners who don't yet realize their team's "reasonable restrictions" are a train on rails leading to outright prohibition. Them waking up and working on stopping that train from the inside of that party's politics while "we" work on the outside is something we should embrace.

Some Democrats are in favor of gun control. But some Democrats are gun owners who are not in favor of gun control. We need all of the allies that we can get, no matter what their positions are on other issues.

Here on NES there are members who are on different sides of most issues, but we share the belief that most, if not all, gun control laws are misguided. It is a mistake to push away allies who agree with our views on gun control, but who have different views on unrelated topics.

Back
Top Bottom