• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ME resident selling Pre-94 AR to a coworker in MA?

Hiyo,

I'm a Maine resident and I recently came into possession of a never-fired Eagle Arms AR that was built in 1993, according to an email from Armalite. It has a fixed stock, but the barrel is threaded, and it has a bayonet lug.

A coworker living in MA who has long envied my ARs expressed interest in buying it. I have no particular attachment to it, and it seems that pre-94 rifles do more good in ban states.

He has an Unrestricted LTC-A.

So, two questions:

1. Assuming he can find a willing MA FFL, can I sell him the rifle?

2. What's a fair price range?

Thanks!

Hey dae.edorian,

I'm still a new member here and I know that some more seasoned people will chime in most likely, but from what I know

1.) as long as it was made pre-94 you will be able to have an FFL transfer it to him, but as you know there is a lot of controversy around this rite now

2.) you have two options, you either go with a fair market price of what an AR of that quality is worth or you charge a MA inflated price, but most prebans go in the low 1000 range.

You can certainly sell him the rifle and he shouldn't have too hard of a time finding a FFL to accept it. In my experience they will probably want it to be shipped from another FFL. How much is fair is tough to say...how much do you like your coworker? A preban AR is currently the only way to get one in MA. You can check the classifieds and get an idea. Preban prices are inflated in all ban states not just MA. They fetch a premium in CT as well so looking at other sites like AR15.com will give you some comparable costs.

If you don't like your coworker too much I'd be happy to take it off your hands! [smile]

Good luck!

Thanks!

I'm curious to know approximately what this rifle would go for in an MA gun shop.

I'm sure I'll offer it for less, but I'd like to at least maximize my points with him by accurately expressing what he'd be paying elsewhere. Again, it's in virtually untouched condition.

Can't you just sell it to the guy and he files the paperwork to register when he brings it into MA?

Can't you just sell it to the guy and he files the paperwork to register when he brings it into MA?

Interpersonal sales between residents of different states is a Federal crime regardless of the states in question. Interstate sales must always go through an FFL.

Did we change the rules about asking how much a gun is worth? Because, I seem to be seeing a lot of these type questions lately. In fact I would bet the OPs PM box is full of offers.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Nope. That would be a federal felony. Private transfers of guns across state lines must go through an FFL. For a long gun, it can go through an FFL in any state. For a handgun, it must go through an FFL in the buyer's state of residence.

Nope. That would be a federal felony. Private transfers of guns across state lines must go through an FFL. For a long gun, it can go through an FFL in any state. For a handgun, it must go through an FFL in the buyer's state of residence.

This .. have the Mass guy take a ride over the border to ME.

Have the FFL log it in and log it out with a NICS and the MAss resident files a EFA 10 within said time frame as required when brought in over the border.

Did we change the rules about asking how much a gun is worth? Because, I seem to be seeing a lot of these type questions lately. In fact I would bet the OPs PM box is full of offers.

Certainly didn't mean to break any rules, and my primary objective was to confirm the legality of the transaction. Happy to redact the secondary question if needed.

You'd lose that bet, no one has offered, nor should they. The rifle is verbal agreement sold already.

Back
Top Bottom