ME NR CCW

Okay so I got the application printed out to send to Augusta for my NR CCW permit. Damn! It is TEN pages long!!

My question is about the process. I understand that I need to provide a 2x2 passport-sized photo, my application and copies of my MA LTC.

It says I need "proof" I took a FA safety course, do I need to include the (MA) certificate copy with my application or can I include just the copy of my MA LTC since it requires I have this live-fire training?

My uncle said the ME license is a real pain in the a$$ and it seems so, there are pages that talk about sending it to Maine mental institutions, which I have never been incarcerated in, I guess that the MESP send this to them? It is a confusing application.

I want to send enough info that they can process it and approve it. Should I include a letter that I own property in Maine and give the book # of the deed legally filed in the county in which I own property? Would even owning non-resident property in the State of ME make any difference?

Thank you, oh sages, for your wisdom and advice!

I don't remember it being a PITA.

Why don't you include the NRA certificate?

I never sent anything to ME mental institutions...

Why would you include that letter?

I don't remember it being a PITA.

Why don't you include the NRA certificate?

I never sent anything to ME mental institutions...

Why would you include that letter?

I believe that the issuer sends them to ME mental institutions, i.e. the ME SP.

PITA is "legally" defined that NH requires ONE page application and ME requires TEN. Who has time to read that much unless you're a lawyer? IANAL (I did work with them and they LOVE extended verbiage!!) [laugh]

I can include a copy of the training cert no problem, I just wondered if it was necessary given that it is required for a MA LTC-A.

-g-

Last edited:
I can include a copy of the training cert no problem, I just wondered if it was necessary given that it is required for a MA LTC-A.

-g-

No it is NOT. It is only required for people getting their 1st MA LTC AFTER 10/21/1998. Those of us who got our LTCs years before that never had to take any course. Also live fire is NOT a requirement for a MA LTC. Many PDs want it, but it is not a MGL requirement.

Read the directions carefully and send them an NRA Cert that meets their requirements.

Your MA LTC is not proof enough for a ME NR permit. They need a copy of the NRA Cert. This was covered before in a copuple of threads not long ago.

If in doubt, call them and ask. Better then getting information 2nd & 3rd hand.

Your MA LTC is not proof enough for a ME NR permit. They need a copy of the NRA Cert. This was covered before in a copuple of threads not long ago.

If in doubt, call them and ask. Better then getting information 2nd & 3rd hand.

Specifically, the nra basic pistol is acceptable, whereas home firearm safety is not.

Your bfs cert is basically meaningless outside of Massachusetts.

Sent from my mobile device.

ME is "shall issue", so you don't need to bother with letters, copies of Maine property deeds, or any other such nonsense.

Hmm, don't know if a NR is any different then a resident but I didn't need a picture here in my town. This maybe because you have to send it to Augusta instead of just a town chief. The mental health form is just something you sign and they send it in to check. For residents (not sure about NR) a DD-214 is all they needed from me, no class. I have heard that is going to change in the future.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

As others have said, you need the training cert. MA license is not enough. I took too long getting my renewal in to them so that by the time I did my ME license had expired. Because it expired my application wasn't considered a renewal. I had to reapply and that meant me needing to take a training class -- even though I've had my MA license for a very long time.

I think that FA Safety course has to be in the last five years and possible live fire training I recently did the Utah
non-resident and sent that certificate to comply

Back
Top Bottom