• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ME Non-Resident Permit

In case anyone was wondering how long it takes to get a ME non-resident permit, I just received mine and it was 3 months and 3 days from the day I put it in the mail.

I'm still waiting on mine that finally made it in back around the 2nd half of June after I goofed a couple of times. The check was cashed at the beginning of Oct. I've called three times and left messages on the machine and never got a response.

Greg

Its funny you posted this I was going to post looking for info, sent mine in June still haven't heard back. Lets hope I'm next. Thanks

It took them forever to cash my check (about three months) and I haven't seen my license yet. It's been two weeks since they cashed my check, so it sounds like "any day now" They cashed my check shortly after I called and said, "hey, did you get my application? The check hasn't been cashed." I don't know of there was a connection.

It's good to know it's not just me, that it just takes that long.

I'm just about to mail my application in. Does Maine require a recent Firearms Safety Course/Certificate. The wording is a little vague. I've got a MA LTC A and a NH Non Res. Permit.

I have my Maine resident permit.(Oh sorry, I forgot i'm not supposed to rub it in I live in a free state)LOL

READ the application form instructions!!!

Must have a course certificate and it must be not more than 5 years old.

Yes, I read the instructions and saw that, what I'm confused about is the statement 2 paragraphs down that says:

"The demonstration of knowledge of handgun safety to the issuing authority
may not be required of any applicant who holds a valid State permit to carry a
concealed firearm as of April 15, 1990 or of any applicant who was or is in any
of the Armed Forces of the United States and has received at least basic
firearms training."

Are they only referring to Maine permits or does that include a permit issued by any other state. My guess is that since they capitalized the word State, they are referring to the State of Maine. I just wanted to confirm this.

firearms training."

Yeah, I was a little fuzzy on that one too but I was in the Army so I just had to send a copy of my DD214. My wife on the other hand does have a NH License but NH doesn't require any course. So to be safe we sent in her certificate from Sig Sauer Academy.

Yes, I read the instructions and saw that, what I'm confused about is the statement 2 paragraphs down that says:

firearms training."

Are they only referring to Maine permits or does that include a permit issued by any other state. My guess is that since they capitalized the word State, they are referring to the State of Maine. I just wanted to confirm this.

I would call them and ask. They really are very helpful. For instance I did this since I'm an NRA Instructor I asked them if I really had to take a class as a student (my student classes were >5 years ago) and they said no, just send them a copy of my NRA Instructor credentials and all was good.

I'm just about to mail my application in. Does Maine require a recent Firearms Safety Course/Certificate. The wording is a little vague. I've got a MA LTC A and a NH Non Res. Permit.
They ask for it and I could not find mine from 198something but did attend a class @ MFA with my 2 boys a year ago so I sent them $100 and they sent me the certificates not bad kudos to MFA.

Back
Top Bottom