ME non Res applicaiton

***FINAL Progress Update***

01/08/2017 Mailed application
01/17/2017 Check cashed my Maine
02/09/2017 "Date Issued" on license card
02/13/2017 Received[grin]

I just sent in my application for ME out of state. I live in MA about 25 minutes from that southern coastal finger of Maine. I also hike and plan to start hiking in ME next spring.
Without the permit the restrictions are too numerous and complicated for me to remember:
* Duty to notify officer
* No carrying in Acadia
* No carrying in state parks
* No carrying during deer archery season
* No carrying in Allagash Wilderness Waterway

Having a ME out of state permit makes all the above restrictions go away.[thinking]

But, the out of state permit process is nuts. The package you mail in will contain:
* $60 check
* Proof of handgun safety course within last 5 years
* Passport grade photo
* Copy of birth certificate or passport
* 6 page form:
- 3 pages of "Have you ever.....Yes/No"
- list of residences in last 5 years
- list of all LTCs you have
- list of any LTC denials
- list of any LTC revocations
* A 2 page release of psych medical records
* A 1 page release of gun license and criminal records

All rolled-up, it was at least 2hrs of work before I was licking the envelope.

Interestingly they do not ask for a copy of your home state LTC, driver's license, list of references or reason you want the permit.

I'll post my progress: date check is cashed. Date I receive the license.

Last edited:
My Maine Non Resident (Res) expires this year and I went to the website to download the forms to renew and found something interesting on their website...

They list all Non Res License Permits on their website... They don't give any info except the Start/Finish of permit and the Town/City & State they are from and total count for each Town/City...

They list 96 pages of permits, WOW!!! That's a lot of Non Res Permits... That doesn't count Resident Permits...

I found one other person in my town that has a Non Res Permit... Small World seeing that we only have a little over 1600 people in town...

Here's the link if your interested:

http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/documents/CHP_NonRes.pdf

My Maine Non Resident (Res) expires this year and I went to the website to download the forms to renew and found something interesting on their website...

They list all Non Res License Permits on their website... They don't give any info except the Start/Finish of permit and the Town/City & State they are from and total count for each Town/City...

They list 96 pages of permits, WOW!!! That's a lot of Non Res Permits... That doesn't count Resident Permits...

I found one other person in my town that has a Non Res Permit... Small World seeing that we only have a little over 1600 people in town...

Thanks for posting.

This has been true for many years. I've reviewed that info myself some years ago.

I tried testing the US SC ruling, I sent my renewal in without the three (3) "good" people, and they sent it back to me saying that they needed the 3 people...

It's not a biggie, I sent it back with the 3 names, but I added a letter saying that with the new US SC ruling the 3 "good" people shouldn't be part of the permit...

I will wait to see if they give me a problem (they shouldn't) issuing my new out of State LTC and if they give me something in writing to answer my letter...

Letting my ME permit expire. Too much work for a constitutional carry state. And I'll save $60...I'll need it (and much more) for National Grid this winter.[thinking]

I'll add this, while I agree with you, this is a purple state. I would hate to not have a permit if they ever rescind constitutional carry. The waits to get a permit again if you don't already have one might be mind boggling. As remote as rescinding might be, its worth it to me to just have the permit and not sweat it.

I am sure you are already aware of things like LEO notification and state/federal parks, etc...when carrying without a permit.

Last edited:
Just sent in my packet to Maine this morning. I had everything they required on the kitchen table because I'm prepping for Rhode Island so it wasn't a big deal. Sent it priority mail so we'll see how long it takes to process.

Just sent in my packet to Maine this morning. I had everything they required on the kitchen table because I'm prepping for Rhode Island so it wasn't a big deal. Sent it priority mail so we'll see how long it takes to process.
It usually ends up coming 60 days on the nose for out of state applications.

edit... I got my Maine permit today. Less than three weeks. I sent everything in exactly the way they wanted it. Also sent it priority mail, not folded. Rhode Island has taught me well.

Last edited:
edit... I got my Maine permit today. Less than three weeks. I sent everything in exactly the way they wanted it. Also sent it priority mail, not folded. Rhode Island has taught me well.
I'll let you know on mine. Just over 2 weeks since I sent it. They cashed the check a few days later.

Same here. Arrived today, postmarked less than 3 weeks after they received the application.

Maybe I missed the post in this thread that explains what the point of getting a non-res LTC in Maine is in 2023 (post constitutional carry laws passing).
Can one of you guys who went through the process explain to me what their motivation was in applying and getting on the States radar instead of just being a non-prohibited person who concealed carries without a license?
I anticipate asking this same question for NH next, so throw that answer into the mix if you have an opinion about that too.
As a Mass resident, I would like to get a non resident in RI and I had thought that bothering with a NH and a Maine non-res license was pointless...

change-my-mind.gif

Maybe I missed the post in this thread that explains what the point of getting a non-res LTC in Maine is in 2023 (post constitutional carry laws passing).
1. There is a gap in the law and ME constitutional carry does not cover Arcadia national park

2. If you do not have a ME permit you are required to notify a police officer at the start of any encounter such as a traffic stop. ME permit holders are under no such obligation.

3. Some people take a "Save the Whales" approach. [ collect the whole set ] to out of state permits.

1. There is a gap in the law and ME constitutional carry does not cover Arcadia national park

2. If you do not have a ME permit you are required to notify a police officer at the start of any encounter such as a traffic stop. ME permit holders are under no such obligation.

3. Some people take a "Save the Whales" approach. [ collect the whole set ] to out of state permits.
[thumbsup]

And for the landlubbers it does NOT help with carrying in Baxter State Park. Carrying is off limits in the State Park due to their rules.

Back
Top Bottom