• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Me,nh constitutional carry.

FMH2016

NES Member
I hate to bring this topic up as I’ve seen and read a ton on here about it. Can someone clear up for a friend of mine if mass ltc holders can legally carry in those two states? And is there any cited documentation with proof or an explanation?

I hate to bring this topic up as I’ve seen and read a ton on here about it. Can someone clear up for a friend of mine if mass ltc holders can legally carry in those two states? And is there any cited documentation with proof or an explanation?

Your MA LTC, or MA anything, has no bearing on ME law. The lack of anything in writing is your friend. A ME and NH permit helps in certain areas. Matt

Your MA LTC, or MA anything, has no bearing on ME law. The lack of anything in writing is your friend. A ME and NH permit helps in certain areas. Matt
I was under the impression that if you were legal to carry in your home state that you were able to carry in constitutional carry states.

I was under the impression that if you were legal to carry in your home state that you were able to carry in constitutional carry states.
If you are not prohibited from owing a firearm, you're permitted to carry in NH and ME. The existence (or lack) of a home-state carry permit/license is meaningless.

If you are not prohibited from owing a firearm, you're permitted to carry in NH and ME. The existence (or lack) of a home-state carry permit/license is meaningless.
People in MA have a very hard time understanding a concept of what a ‘right’ is. They keep asking of who is supposed to provide them with a permission for that right.

where you live has nothing to do with it. When you’re in NH, NH state gun/carry laws are what you follow. When you’re in Vermont, you follow Vermont gun laws, when you’re in Maine you follow their gun laws.

if you are not a prohibited person ie a convicted felon, dishonorably discharged from the military etc then you can legally carry open, concealed, etc in NH, VT and Maine. Weather you have a Massachusetts gun license or not has no bearing on what you do in those states. Massachusetts gun laws stop at the border.

Mass non LTC holders can carry here. Your Mass LTC means nothing here.

I thought constitutional just meant anyone could. You just can't purchase.

constitutional carry in short means that state eliminated their requirement for a gun license to carry a gun concealed. (The constitution, 2nd amendment is your gun license hence the nickname constitutional carry)

regarding buying guns in states you do not reside, you can purchase long guns in other states at FFLs and take possession of them. You can purchase handguns at FFLs but they must be shipped to an FFL in a state you reside then you take possession there.(there will be a transfer fee and shipping costs)

Last edited:
constitutional carry in short means that state eliminated their requirement for a gun license to carry a gun concealed.

regarding buying guns in states you do not reside, you can purchase long guns that are legal to own in your home state in other states at FFLs and take possession of them. You can purchase handguns at FFLs but they must be shipped to an FFL in a state you reside then you take possession there.(there will be a transfer fee and shipping costs)
Small tweak.

Part of the confusion is the continuation of the permitting process Despite being able to carry without one.

I'm a mass resident and purchased multiple long guns in Maine and New hampshire.....cash and carry. You thought wrong. Stop guessing
......and do some research.

Translation: I'm too lazy to look it up to find out both states are con carry states as of.... YEARS ago. [laugh]

IIRC Several states recognize constitutional carry for their state residents only…which is lame. ME and NH are not two of them.

The laws pertaining to buying guns are completely different from possessing them it is wise to not mix the two. Federal gun laws wrt purchasing guns are not really relevant in the context the OP is talking about.

You already have your answer so I will just add to make sure that you read the rules for each state you plan on carrying in.

For example in Maine you have a duty to disclose.

Bob

You already have your answer so I will just add to make sure that you read the rules for each state you plan on carrying in.

For example in Maine you have a duty to disclose.

Bob
Only if carrying on CC. If you have a permit that requirement goes away.
Disclosure requirement applies to any and all LEO interactions while carrying concealed.

,.. asking for a friend,.. lol
I Literally am. I tried to explain it to him a million times. He wouldn’t take my word for it so I wanted to show him responses. He’s listening to cops that he knows. Their word is gospel. Even when they’re wrong.

I Literally am. I tried to explain it to him a million times. He wouldn’t take my word for it so I wanted to show him responses. He’s listening to cops that he knows. Their word is gospel. Even when they’re wrong.
Tell your moron friend to check out the ME State Police site on Concealed Carry. It not only clearly states the law allows ''...a person who is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm to carry a concealed handgun in the State of Maine without a permit," but it's from a Police website, with words from Cops!

that’s his problem, 95% of cops have little to no understanding of gun laws. Most of them seem to think they have a divine right to carry but the peasants don’t.

both the NH and Maine constitutional carry laws are 5 or 6 years old, google search the for articles of when NH and Maine passed constitutional carry, the articles explain people can carry without a govt permission slip.

heres NH. N.H. eliminates concealed carry license requirement

And Maine. Maine allows gun owners to carry concealed weapons without permit

Suggest your friend find better sources for gun law information

Back
Top Bottom