ME CCW Permit under 21 Question

I'm 19 and live in MA. I applied for a non-resident CCW permit in ME and should be getting it in the mail soon. I don't have a LTC in MA, (since I'm under 21) so any handguns I purchase will have to remain at my family's vacation house in ME. Once I have the CCW how do I go about purchasing a handgun in ME? From what I've been told, in ME the age to buy a handgun is 18, but federal law states it is 21 if I'm buying from an FFL. Does this mean that my only option to buy is through a a private sale or a gun show? Will they even sell to me without a ME drivers license?

You have to be a resident of the state where you want to buy a handgun. That's Federal law.
You could buy a handgun in Maine, but the seller would have to ship it to a FFL in Mass, and then they'd transfer it to you.

You have to be a resident of the state where you want to buy a handgun. That's Federal law.
You could buy a handgun in Maine, but the seller would have to ship it to a FFL in Mass, and then they'd transfer it to you.

Since I can't have it shipped to an FFL in MA (since i only have an FID) then that pretty much eliminates any possibility of buying from someone. What exactly is the point then of a N-R CCW when your 18? Does it need to be a gift or bought by a family member?

Since I can't have it shipped to an FFL in MA (since i only have an FID) then that pretty much eliminates any possibility of buying from someone. What exactly is the point then of a N-R CCW when your 18? Does it need to be a gift or bought by a family member?
The NR CCP says that you may carry a concealed handgun. That's it. Where you get the handgun is your business.

Its very odd that there is an N-R CCW for people under 21 when there is no legal means for them to purchase one.

Its very odd that there is an N-R CCW for people under 21 when there is no legal means for them to purchase one.

That depends on the state you live in. If you came from somewhere other than MA, you could buy there. the N-R CCW process just doesn't care that you happen to be from MA.

That depends on the state you live in. If you came from somewhere other than MA, you could buy there. the N-R CCW process just doesn't care that you happen to be from MA.

Ah that makes sense. So legally, unless I move out of MA, there is no way I can get a handgun anywhere until I'm 21.

But what if someone gifts it to me while I'm in Maine? Is that a legal means for me to get a handgun? Or did I pay $60 for the CCW permit that I wont have any use for in the next 2 years.

Ah that makes sense. So legally, unless I move out of MA, there is no way I can get a handgun anywhere until I'm 21.

But what if someone gifts it to me while I'm in Maine? Is that a legal means for me to get a handgun? Or did I pay $60 for the CCW permit that I wont have any use for in the next 2 years.

No, you and the giftor would both be breaking Federal Law . . . it's not a MA thing.

With the ME NR permit you could borrow a gun from someone in ME to carry concealed (or within a car) WHILE you are IN MAINE only. That is all you can use that permit for given your age.

Once you had everything in place the next hurdle would be trying to find someone to provide ammo. Yep you guessed it got to be 21 to buy handgun ammo.,

Last edited:
I hate to burst your bubble but if you are under the age of 21 you cannot purchase a handgun in the State of Maine, nor can you purchase ammunition for a handgun, even if you were a resident. Also someone would not be permitted to gift you a handgun until you are 21. You are allowed to borrow a handgun to carry concealed with a permit. I know stupid but that's just the way it is.
i thought that just appllied to dealer sales. Some hg ammo can be used in a rifle, so legal to purchase.

Eta, thought you were ME resident. If MA, no go on private sale. Pretty sure all set with ammo as long as it doesnt come south.

Last edited:
Just found this---dealer sales have to be 21 non dealer 18 ----
States Imposing Minimum Age Requirements for All Firearm Purchases: Although federal law prohibits licensed dealers from selling long guns to persons under 18, there is no federal regulation of the sale of long guns by unlicensed dealers to minors. Similarly, while federal law prohibits handgun sales by licensed dealers to persons under 21, unlicensed dealers are prohibited only from selling handguns to persons under 18.

Back
Top Bottom