MCX Virtus - MA legal upgrades

Hello,

I have a MA legal (pinned/welded) MCX Virtus. Really love this rifle. I am thinking about buying a 300 blackout barrel 16in and a pistol brace (foldable/adjustable).

What is the legality of doing so? Would I be in the clear or is it something that I will have to register?

Not looking to go SBR... just want to play with another caliber. And as far as I know, pistol braces are not considered stocks?

Thanks!!!

Give the AG's office a call and ask them and get back to us.

Also use the search feature before asking questions. The search box works great, better than ever.

The subjects of changing barrels and stocks have been discussed many times.

Look up and follow the law regarding folding/adjusting stocks and minimum overall length requirements.

Lurk moar.

Hello,

I have a MA legal (pinned/welded) MCX Virtus. Really love this rifle. I am thinking about buying a 300 blackout barrel 16in and a pistol brace (foldable/adjustable).

What is the legality of doing so? Would I be in the clear or is it something that I will have to register?

Not looking to go SBR... just want to play with another caliber. And as far as I know, pistol braces are not considered stocks?

Thanks!!!

That's a great way to commit a federal felony.

Give the AG's office a call and ask them and get back to us.

Also use the search feature before asking questions. The search box works great, better than ever.

The subjects of changing barrels and stocks have been discussed many times.

Look up and follow the law regarding folding/adjusting stocks and minimum overall length requirements.

Lurk moar.

Sorry... searched but did not find anything for MCX, and since it is not technically an AR, I thought that maybe different rolls apply, I guess not

Hello,

I have a MA legal (pinned/welded) MCX Virtus.
Its a Healey edict compliant assault weapon.

Really love this rifle. I am thinking about buying a 300 blackout barrel 16in and a pistol brace (foldable/adjustable).
Can't have a folding or adjustable stock on an Assault weapon unless it's pre-94, or you believe that it can't be any more illegal than your pre-healey gun is.

Once a rifle always a rifle so you can't make it a pistol (not that you're trying). Once a rifle goes sub 16" it becomes a SBR.

I wouldn't hedge that way. But if you're looking for -1 feature you can always take the handguard off and hold from the mag well or just have a pistol style buffer tube (I think)

Thanks!!!

per federal, once it's a rifle it stays as a rifle. cannot go from rifle -> pistol. your option in MA would be to swap over to a rifle length 300 blk barrel assuming sig makes one. personally i would save your $$ and go towards another project or just build yourself a 300 blk if desired. in the absence of SBR or suppressor, supersonic 300 blk doesn't offer all the much over a 5.56 (unless you need 30 cal such as hunting purposes).

Because of the stock?

Replacing the stock on a rifle with a pistol brace and buffer tube makes it a pistol. You cannot take a rifle and make it a pistol. That's a federal thing, not a state thing.

You can take a pistol, make it into a rifle, and then take it back to a pistol, but it must start as a pistol. You can also take a rifle and make it into a short barreled rifle as long as you pay your $200 tax stamp and follow the law laid down in the NFA.

If you want to turn your MCX into a .300 blk shortie then just bite the bullet and bone up on the NFA requirements.

U can spend the same amount, slightly more, and buy a Preban AR. No AWB, put all the folding stocks and braces and tacticool shit u want on it. SBR it in 300 Black out too!

Why would you brace anything with a 16 barrel whether it was legal or not? It would be so awkward and front heavy. Buy a Desert Eagle if you want a huge pistol.

What makes something a brace and not a stock anyway? Is it the piece of Velcro.
As long as firearm lengths meet criteria does it pass federal regs?

A lot of pistol braces these days look like rifle stocks to me.

Putting a brace on a rifle is illegal and I think would make an AOW and you need a stamp for that.
As other have said, once built as a rifle, you can not build into a pistol (however a pistol can be built into an SBR with stamp). However a pistol is defined as having barrel less than 16" and therefore taking off the stock or putting on a brace creates an AOW.

Last edited:
MCX you say?

2016-07-21-567cc135_large.jpg

Back
Top Bottom