• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

McConnell suggests Senate could look at assault weapons ban, background checks

I totally get what you are saying about irrelevant votes in Massachusetts. But here's the thing, there is a lot of campaign money that is going to be up for grabs and a lot of wealthy right leaning people live under oppressive blue state regimes. That's a lot of support to leave on the table and for what? Making democrats happy? The woke mafia? The negative stigma that the press tries to white wash on Trump supporters is already enormous so what is a wealthy donor going to do give and go meh or sit it out?

So the money goes away because a few thousand people (let's be honest here) don't vote for Trump in a state he's going to lose anyways? I don't see the correlation to campaign funding. The few Rs that get in here don't win because of "Campaign funding".

-Mike

Wow, where did you get those talking points, democratic underground? I’ve heard all that crap before. How has Trump shit on the gun owners? Are you referring to bump stocks? The pieces of plastic that before anybody mentioned anything about them, if you owned one, you were considered a joke——want to be? Every time someone posted about a BS they would be mercilessly tortured. We’ve just had two mass shootings, three actually. 62% of the country thinks universal background checks is a good idea. I don’t think so but the Democrats have done a good job getting everybody to believe that more gun laws is going to make a big difference. So what’s is trump supposed to do?Stand there and say shall not be infringed!! That would guarantee him never getting elected again. He’s going to have to do something. I’m not in favor of it but he’s gonna have to do something if he wants four more years. I’d feel a lot more safe with Trump in there than anyone of those gun grabbing Democrats that have confessed they’ll go door-to-door and take whatever you have.
I think what you’re failing to realize is Trump will get us all the bans...bump stocks, assault weapons, semi autos, etc...The next Democratic president will institute the confiscation orders because they’ve already been banned. I dont give two shits about a piece of plastic like a bump stock but u are failing to understand is that it’s just a small piece of the pie. If you want to follow Trump around while he’s playing his pipe then so be it. No matter if he gets reelected or not he will go down as the worst president fot the Second Amendment ever.

Be wary of falling into the trap of reacting to what Trump says and not waiting to see what Trump does...

THIS is what I have learned so far in the Trump presidency. He could very well just be pandering to the media for the time being. If in a month when our overpaid representatives get their asses back to work, there is still ‘outrage’ like there is now...we might have an issue. But for the time being, we have a month to let the dust settle before any decisions are made, and people have very short memories.

The next Democratic president will institute the confiscation orders because they’ve already been banned. I dont give two shits about a piece of plastic like a bump stock but u are failing to understand is that it’s just a small piece of the pie.

I've been literally hearing this same song now since the late 1980s/early 1990s. 30 years later nobody has come confiscating so can we please stop this nonsense about 'that's ths next step'.

Wow, where did you get those talking points, democratic underground? I’ve heard all that crap before. How has Trump shit on the gun owners? Are you referring to bump stocks? The pieces of plastic that before anybody mentioned anything about them, if you owned one, you were considered a joke——want to be? Every time someone posted about a BS they would be mercilessly tortured.

Bump stocks are dumb but if he was willing to abuse privilege to ban them, it's not too much of a stretch to assume he would do the same for
other things. That's why RKBA advocates are pissed. He could have left well enough alone and it would just go away, or even quietly nod and have BATFE tell him "well, we can't do this legally, congress would have to change the law" and it would suddenly become a dead issue because it
would be clearly punted to congress (who would let it die, gun control might as well be considered a venereal disease with most of the house and
senate, blowhard democrats talking shit once in awhile, aside. )

We’ve just had two mass shootings, three actually. 62% of the country thinks universal background checks is a good idea

What according to MSM or USA today? [rofl] What was the sample size of the survey that determined that BS?

. I don’t think so but the Democrats have done a good job getting everybody to believe that more gun laws is going to make a big difference.

Yes, especially when gun owners keep regurgitating the fake news the MSM parrots. [laugh]

So what’s is trump supposed to do?Stand there and say shall not be infringed!! That would guarantee him never getting elected again. He’s going to have to do something.

Who says he has to "do something"? The MSM? [laugh] It's one thing to say a few words about it. It's another to start pandering. Trump has been pandering to antis right along, but doesn't shock me because "populist" and because of some of his jingoservative base feeds off that cheap grade anti crap like ubc, erpo, etc.

95% of the shittiest w laws in this country are a direct result of the "we're upset, do something because we're EMO!!!!!!" line of thinking. We got patriot act, anal probe exams to get on aircraft, cbp spying into citizens devices at the border, etc, all as a result of those knee jerk legislative and executive actions.

If trump was the "hes different" savior most of the maga types sell him as, he would be the first to say "I don't think we should allow people to use a disaster or tragedy like this to jump to changing laws, at least not without some serious research and discussion beforehand. "

-Mike

Last edited:
"Who says he has to "do something"? The MSM? [laugh] It's one thing to say a few words about it. It's another to start pandering. Trump has been pandering to antis right along, but doesn't shock me because "populist" and because of some of his jingoservative base feeds off that cheap grade anti crap like ubc, erpo, etc."
Same whine from the leftists every time, "do something". Remember, liberals only follow laws they approve of.
If I was Trump I'd counter OK I'm doing something, telling Mitch and Nancy to draft legislation to;
1) Allow Teachers to be armed who are qualified.
2) Encourage more citizens to CCW and start a National Training program to allow citizens to train in realistic scenarios .
3) Encourage big box stores and Malls to have more armed Security, arm the greeters at Walmart.
4) Tell Governors in anti-gun liberal States to stop trying to take away the rights of gun owners.
5) Tell State AG's to Enforce the firearms laws on the books and stop letting criminals using guns from plea bargaining down their sentences.
Sit back and watch leftists heads explode.

What according to MSM or USA today? [rofl said:
What was the sample size of the survey that determined that BS?

Here are 6 polls about background checks. All over 80%

Yes most of the polling companies are tool bags. But there’s no denying that these are the polls that people see and believe. Any conservative politician has got an up hill battle. If they appear to be complacent and uncaring they’re not going to get reelected.

90% of Americans back background checks for all gun sales?

Yes most of the polling companies are tool bags. But there’s no denying that these are the polls that people see and believe. Any conservative politician has got an up hill battle. If they appear to be complacent and uncaring they’re not going to get reelected.

90% of Americans back background checks for all gun sales?
Polls are typically done via telephone. When's the last time you answered a call from a number you don't know? (People with nothing but time on their hands do, though.)

McConnell knows September is a long way away with a lot of 24-hr news cycles between now and then. If he was truly serious about passing any of this, he'd have recalled the Senate in August.

EDIT: He also knows the Senate majority hangs on a tight balance. Better to allow some Democrats put themselves at risk for reelection in purple states if they go full retard on gun control than have Republicans put themselves at risks for caving.

Here's My Question...

Why do we need another Assault Weapons Ban if we are going to also get stricter Background Checks?

After passing a "stricter" Background Check, an individual should have less restrictions... not more.

Pass the Background check: Be allowed hi-cap magazines in every state...
Pass the Background check: Be allowed access to all firearm platforms in every state...
Pass the Background check: Be allowed access to fully-automatic weapons in every state...
Pass the Background check: Be allowed suppressors in every state...
Pass the Background check: Be allowed folding stocks in every state...
Pass the Background check: Be allowed Imported Firearms in every state...
Pass the Background check: Be allowed unlimited access to bulk ammunition in every state...
Pass the Background check: Be allowed CCW and Unrestricted travel in every state...

~Enbloc

Move to Kentucky and all that is already available......plus, you can hunt on Sundays and use a suppressor if you like while doing so.[smile]

Yes most of the polling companies are tool bags.

If you're a trump supporter, you should be the last person on the face of the earth citing mainstream polling orgs. Out of that list of 6 orgs, at least
2 of them are MSM, one of the ones I opened up doesn't even tell the sample size of the poll! [rofl] That's hardly conclusive of
anything. If 6 liberals get in a room and run a poll on some shit they don't like, what do you think the outcome is going to be?

But there’s no denying that these are the polls that people see and believe.

Does this actually mean anything on the ground? Are people actually paying attention to that crap? Do the vast majority of voters even
care about a stupid poll?

Again, re, the above, if it actually did mean something, Trump would never have been elected, because if people believed the polls, they would have said "oh he has no chance, why bother" etc. And those kinds of presidential polls were far more numerous and exhaustive than this stuff.

Any conservative politician has got an up hill battle. If they appear to be complacent and uncaring they’re not going to get reelected.

You're assuming that the issue matters politically more than it actually does. The antis have infected your brain. You've fallen prey to their
peacocking. Admittedly they get help from MSM, but it's still just a gross exaggeration of what they actually are. They love this because it multiplies force that they never had to begin with, because they've deceived everyone into thinking that their views are far more mainstream than they actually are.

ETA: the other fun thing about gun control is this is another one of those issues that some people run their mouth about, but actually, in reality, don't give a shit about it when it comes down to bones. Only ultra moonbats would ever axe out a pol based on "being pro gun". etc.

-Mike

Wow, where did you get those talking points, democratic underground? I’ve heard all that crap before. How has Trump shit on the gun owners? Are you referring to bump stocks? The pieces of plastic that before anybody mentioned anything about them, if you owned one, you were considered a joke——want to be? Every time someone posted about a BS they would be mercilessly tortured. We’ve just had two mass shootings, three actually. 62% of the country thinks universal background checks is a good idea. I don’t think so but the Democrats have done a good job getting everybody to believe that more gun laws is going to make a big difference. So what’s is trump supposed to do?Stand there and say shall not be infringed!! That would guarantee him never getting elected again. He’s going to have to do something. I’m not in favor of it but he’s gonna have to do something if he wants four more years. I’d feel a lot more safe with Trump in there than anyone of those gun grabbing Democrats that have confessed they’ll go door-to-door and take whatever you have.

Yes he is sworn to uphold the constitution which says exactly shall not be infringed in it.

If you think him taking action on gun control is winning the hearts and minds of the left your insane.

If you're a trump supporter, you should be the last person on the face of the earth citing mainstream polling orgs. Out of that list of 6 orgs, at least
2 of them are MSM, one of the ones I opened up doesn't even tell the sample size of the poll! [rofl] That's hardly conclusive of
anything. If 6 liberals get in a room and run a poll on some shit they don't like, what do you think the outcome is going to be?

Does this actually mean anything on the ground? Are people actually paying attention to that crap? Do the vast majority of voters even
care about a stupid poll?

Again, re, the above, if it actually did mean something, Trump would never have been elected, because if people believed the polls, they would have said "oh he has no chance, why bother" etc. And those kinds of presidential polls were far more numerous and exhaustive than this stuff.

You're assuming that the issue matters politically more than it actually does. The antis have infected your brain. You've fallen prey to their
peacocking. Admittedly they get help from MSM, but it's still just a gross exaggeration of what they actually are. They love this because it multiplies force that they never had to begin with, because they've deceived everyone into thinking that their views are far more mainstream than they actually are.

ETA: the other fun thing about gun control is this is another one of those issues that some people run their mouth about, but actually, in reality, don't give a shit about it when it comes down to bones. Only ultra moonbats would ever axe out a pol based on "being pro gun". etc.

-Mike

It must be super nice to know everything about everything
so you can laugh at those who you deem lesser than yourself.
65,000 posts in 13yrs? One things for certain you sure like the
sound of your own voice!

Yes he is sworn to uphold the constitution which says exactly shall not be infringed in it.

If you think him taking action on gun control is winning the hearts and minds of the left your insane.

I agree with you 100%. If he was to ban guns
outright he would not gain a single left wing vote.
But we have to face reality, he hast to do something,
I don’t know what, or the swing voters that put him in office will abandon him.

Why does he have to do anything? He will gain no votes from the libtard masses no matter what they get passed, and will lose a lot of votes if anything gets passed. It's a losing proposition for republicans to do anything here. They will only save themselves if they wait things out and then stonewall. If they pass an AWB or red flag nonsense all they are doing is throwing their seats away.

So your willing to give up more of you rights to appease those who don’t respect it?

It must be super nice to know everything about everything
so you can laugh at those who you deem lesser than yourself.

I certainly don't know everything, but I think it's wise for us to challenge each other when we make statements based on
likely bad, outmoded, or outdated information. Operating off bad intel results in a bad response to the
problem. This can turn into a "mind virus" or allow large groups of people to fall prey to, what is, in effect, a version of Goebbels
"big lie theory" or similar, the "if you repeat a lie often enough (even unintentionally) it eventually becomes the truth." Antis are
banking on everyone repeating their lies, and this is dangerous. In case you haven't noticed, they have this alarming tendency to
keep repeating the same rhetoric over and over again, and 95% of it isy factually unsound. Getting a hyperbole laden lie to stick is a
free bingo space for them.

My humor is not so much about "you" (I'm seriously not trying to insult you, apologies if you took it that way)
but about the mindset in the posts; what you posted is like what RKBA activists were thinking about this stuff
in 1994, because it "felt" like, back then, gun owners were fighting a pitched battle because of lack of communication etc and
a promotion of lies through the MSM controlling nearly everything. That "the antis are a political force to be reckoned with because they have numbers" (even when they didn't, but they sold the illusion of that). That just isn't the on the ground reality anymore. After TheInternet(tm) appeared and millions of people started getting involved in guns in some non fuddy way, the shape of the entire game changed. The swarms of antis that did stuff like MMM and so on largely evaporated in the wake of exposure of those organizations, and things like 9/11 caused a massive perspective shift in public thinking. Over time since the 90s massive public skepticism about gun control has emerged. Fun example I like to use recently- in one of the post-parkland protests, the MSM was hooting and hollering about all these people that showed up, so wah lah, blah blah blah. The MSM made it sound like there were a ton of kids there and somehow were a majority of protesters. Some political science students down in DC or wherever this was, actually went to one of these events and actually counted the # of people, noted their gender, and age group, etc. What they found that like more than half of the protesters were like 40+ y/o white females, some of who had dragged their kids to the "thing" as decoration, even then, children were nowhere near the majority of protesters. The actual demographic of that protest, was misrepresented by the MSM. In 1994 everyone would have taken that as gospel, but nowadays, because independent media, not so much. It's not just "pro gun" people that see these things, either. This stuff leaks out into email forwards and other kinds of social media.

ETA: I'm not talking "In MA" either, I mean nationally. Full on moonbat political shitholes in like 6 states shouldn't get to dictate a gun
ban that effects the other 44 states. It's easy to get conned into thinking the antis have power because they appear in public in MA all
the time. Doesn't take long going away from here before that turns into dust quickly.

The antis were always trying to suck off the peacock effect even back in the 90s, but now they literally NEED it to stay relevant in any
political sphere of influence, because most of america stops caring once the news ticker changes to something else. Fun example- Bloomberg had to PAY people to collect signatures to get UBC referendums on the ballot in like two or three states. If Gun control was so grassroots-popular, he wouldn't have had to resort to that at all, he could just go to the well, put people on DU, moveon, whatever, any number of other moonbat forums, and gotten all the ground support he needed, but the reality is that while even many moonbats talk the talk about banning shit or whatever, most of them don't care or throw a blind eye to it. I honestly think most of the dem candidates only talk
about it because some campaign focus-group type a**h*** told them that it was important, and also told them "if you don't shit on guns, then that gives the in-party opposition something to attack you with" etc. Look at Obama as a classic example of this. Yes, politically an
anti, on paper, but outside of the F&F horseshit, he took very little political risk to "fight guns" and by and large, in reality, left things alone because he knew it would be damaging to his re-election and also to other dems. He "talked shit about gun control" but largely did
nothing, becuase in practicality, he could do nothing. I think Trump to some extent does this, but he is very waffly about it, and the bump
stock BS showed that he's capable of going full retard, although I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that mostly happened because
of the NRA asking him to do it, because they "perceived" it was going to become some kind of legislative problem, but IMHO they were
way off base and fired from the hip. Now that the NRA is a dumpster fire, that maneuvering just showed that the NRA is running like 10+
years behind the curve. They thought they could "catch up" by doing media pandering bits via ack-mack etc, that it would put up enough
of an "edgelord" front to make it look like they're on the cutting political edge of the issue, but the reality is they're horribly out of touch
with reality. In order to be "effective" again they need to put out the dumpster fire and do things like concentrate on the "next gen warfare" and "4d chess type stuff" that Bloomshitberg & co are playing now. They are working gun control from the flanks and in completely different ways than the old school crap from the 90s that's almost not relevant at this point, and in effect, they are fiddling while
rome burns. Thankfully a lot of smaller groups have picked up the slack as well as important judicial stopgaps, etc, otherwise we would
be in serious trouble if it was left up to the NRA. They've wasted the last decade or so pandering to the member base on national
reciprocity legislation that had zero chance of going anywhere, while shitberg & co run around doing their anti gun guerrilla warfare on the
flanks almost unchecked.

65,000 posts in 13yrs? One things for certain you sure like the
sound of your own voice!

Based on that, a whole bunch of people including the owner (on the old forum SW, he broke the post counter and rolled it
over like a smelly ford 5 digit oodometer) must be terrible people. A large part of that #, at least in my case, is just my own personal failings in using multi quote. Believe that, however, if you like.

-Mike

Why does he have to do anything? He will gain no votes from the libtard masses no matter what they get passed, and will lose a lot of votes if anything gets passed. It's a losing proposition for republicans to do anything here. They will only save themselves if they wait things out and then stonewall. If they pass an AWB or red flag nonsense all they are doing is throwing their seats away.

You figured it out. If they want to "do something" there's a ton of things they could do that don't involve f***ing with peoples
rights. Like maybe, for example, open a serious discussion about mental health services in this country.

-Mike

Have you actually looked a the composition of the wobblies in the swing states that pulled for trump? Heck, in many of these swing
states, there's even a statistically significant number of gun owners amongst registered democraps nevermind the wobbly independent
voters who have a much higher percentage. Like, do you really believe the average wobbly in a place like OH, PA, etc. is an
anti or even a half assed anti? That's a stretch and a half. MA has lots of half assed antis but those swing states might as well be on
another planet vs this craphole. I don't think shitberg has even pushed on those states much because he knows they're largely a lost cause for anti gun BS. He has focused on "blue trending" states like CO, NV, and ME, etc. (although he made a gross miscalculation about Maine, lol) Possibly in FL it might make a difference but even that's a stretch, in a presidential election.

In order to dig into this though, we'd have to find some exit polling data from various elections where somehow it was divined as to whether
or not a presidential vote was really thrown based on a 3rd tier wedge issue. I would be very surprised if it placed high in the
ranking in a presidential race.

-Mike

Anyone who is saying they won’t vote for Trump is basically giving their vote to the other side. Regardless of the state he/she lives in. Trump is a moron but is better than anything from the other side. For example, if Kamala wins she wants to implement executive order to literally try and confiscate guns. Not saying it will happen but that extreme measure could seriously force other “compromises” that further erode basic rights.

Trump needs to NEGOTIATE for things to use in exchange for any bans and/or expanded background checks being considered. Change the conversation. National repricocity, standard mag capacity, etc. This will force the other side to decide what’s really important. If they want a ban bad enough, they will give in to other things important to the right.

And then a vote in congress can happen. The Dems can’t have it all.

Trump needs to NEGOTIATE for things to use in exchange for any bans and/or expanded background checks being considered. Change the conversation. National repricocity, standard mag capacity, etc. This will force the other side to decide what’s really important. If they want a ban bad enough, they will give in to other things important to the right.

And then a vote in congress can happen. The Dems can’t have it all.

Negotiate to allow a ban in order to get what?

National repository for the majority of gun owners who never leave their own state with a firearm anyway.

Or for standard capacity magazines that 4/5 of the states in the country do not prohibit anyway.

You might have a hard time selling that to those that are going to have to give up their guns.

Just say'n.

:emoji_tiger:

I’m not saying he should negotiate a ban. Right now all the talk is about a ban and background checks that even some members of the GOP seem to be warming to. If not careful, there could be an assault weapons ban and universal background checks without any real pushback or getting anything in return.

What I am saying is if the conversation changes to something like: Dems want an assault weapon ban, magazine limits, universal background checks, etc., Trump MUStT demand things in return that they cannot and will not agree to.

This way it will seem like Trump and the GOP are willing to work on the issue, but in the end don’t give up anything while protecting 2a rights. The Dems will come across as the ones not willing to negotiate.

I’m not saying he should negotiate a ban. Right now all the talk is about a ban and background checks that even some members of the GOP seem to be warming to. If not careful, there could be an assault weapons ban and universal background checks without any real pushback or getting anything in return.

What I am saying is if the conversation changes to something like: Dems want an assault weapon ban, magazine limits, universal background checks, etc., Trump MUStT demand things in return that they cannot and will not agree to.

This way it will seem like Trump and the GOP are willing to work on the issue, but in the end don’t give up anything while protecting 2a rights. The Dems will come across as the ones not willing to negotiate.

This would probably be good analysis, except that it ignores an important fact: Trump cares for our 2A rights ONLY insofar as they might help him win reelection. If his weirdo political calculus says they won't, he'll turn right around and go back to no longer caring.

The man is doing a lot of good things, and I'm happy he won over HRC. He'll be a damn sight better than any of the morons running on the other side. But he is NOT, and never has been, a man who has the courage of his convictions.

Back
Top Bottom