• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

McConnell suggests Senate could look at assault weapons ban, background checks

mikeyp

NES Member
Yeah, the AWB did so much last time...

https://www.kentucky.com/news/politics-government/article233630997.html

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, under severe pressure from Democrats and a growing number of Republicans, suggested Thursday that the Senate could look at a ban on assault weapons and that there’s Senate support for a move to expand background checks to nearly all gun sales.

Speaking on WHAS 840 in Louisville, the Kentucky Republican said President Donald Trump called him Thursday morning and is “anxious to get an outcome and so am I.”

He said the two talked about various proposals that will be “front and center” in Senate discussions, including so-called red flag warning legislation that would keep guns from people deemed a threat by their friends and family members, as well as expanding background checks.

“There’s a lot of support for that,” McConnell said, referring to legislation championed by Sen. Pat Toomey, R-Pennsylvania, and Sen. Joe Manchin, D-West Virginia, who are hoping to revive legislation that would extend background checks for nearly all gun sales. A similar effort died in the Senate in 2013.

“The urgency of this is not lost on any of us,” McConnell said.

But he noted the bar for legislation includes passing the House, garnering 60 votes in the Senate and a presidential signature.

He did not rule out looking at a ban on assault weapons, but noted there is a dispute over whether the 1994 ban that expired in 2004 had showed results.

“It’s certainly one of the front and center issues,” he said. “But what we can’t do is fail to pass something. What I want to see here is an outcome, not a bunch of partisan back and forths, shots across the bow.”

McConnell has been pilloried by Democrats and gun control advocacy groups for refusing to schedule a Senate vote for a House measure to expand background checks. Congress is in recess until September 9.

McConnell said Thursday “the key to this is making a law, not a point.” He said he hoped to have discussions between members of the two political parties in the next few weeks before the Senate returns to Washington.

The House in February passed two gun control measures, including one to expand background checks by requiring them for nearly all private sales, including gun shows and online transactions.

McConnell dismissed the idea of calling the Senate back immediately to pass the House legislation, saying “we’d just have people scoring political points and nothing would happen. There has to be a bipartisan discussion here of what we can agree on.”

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Thursday wrote to Trump asking him to call the Senate back into session immediately to bring up the House-passed gun legislation.

The legislation’s sponsor, Rep. Mike Thompson, D-California, who chairs the House Gun Violence Prevention Task Force, and 213 House Democrats, including Kentucky’s sole Democrat, Rep. John Yarmuth, have sought to pressure McConnell, urging him in a letter to call the Senate back from recess and pass the House legislation.

Yarmuth, chairman of the House Budget Committee, and Rep. Tim Ryan, D-Ohio, were to join gun control advocates Thursday night at a Louisville rally to press McConnell to pass gun reform legislation.

More than 200 mayors from across the country, including Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer and the mayors of Dayton and El Paso, the site of mass shootings this weekend, signed a letter Thursday to McConnell and Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-New York, urging action on gun legislation.

“Our nation can no longer wait for our federal government to take the actions necessary to prevent people who should not have access to firearms from being able to purchase them,” they wrote.

McConnell has repeatedly said that he won’t put a bill up for a vote in the Senate without significant Republican support and an indication from the White House that Trump would sign the legislation. The White House earlier this year threatened to veto the House background check bill and Trump, who this week said he would be open to expanded background checks, has embraced gun control in the past only to reverse himself.

McConnell, who is recuperating from a shoulder fracture sustained in a fall at his home, has been widely criticized in Louisville, where activists have been demonstrating in front of his house. The Twitter account for his reelection campaign was locked mid-week after it posted video of protesters outside his home. He noted in the radio interview that Twitter had carried the hashtag #MassacreMitch —which was trending on Twitter as critics blamed McConnell for blocking gun legislation — but went after his campaign “for posting actual threats made against me.”

He’s also been the target of late night comedians, who excoriated McConnell for blocking the House bills.

McConnell in a statement issued Monday didn’t mention guns or background checks, but said he’d spoken with the Republican chairmen of three Senate committees and asked them to “engage in bipartisan discussions of potential solutions to help protect our communities without infringing on Americans’ constitutional rights.”

There is some support for so-called red flag bills, which would allow friends and family members to petition authorities to keep guns away from people deemed a threat to themselves or others. But some conservatives, including McConnell’s Kentucky colleague, Rep. Thomas Massie, R-Kentucky, deride them as unconstitutional. Schumer said that Democrats would not “settle for half-measures so Republicans can feel better and try to push the issue of gun violence off to the side.”

McConnell is getting cucked.

Poor man has not been able to sleep in days with all the threats in front of his house.

They are wearing him down.

There will be another ban. It's just a matter of how long it takes the rest of the Repubs to cave. Trump will sign whatever they give him.

Trump will not be re-elected if he signs anything other than the Red Flag Bill. I hate to say this but we would be better off with a liberal wack job in office. It would cause us to have our collective butts in gear and organize and March just like they do. But, we vote for Trump and Rinos and get the big green weenie up the tailpipe.

McConnell is getting cucked.

Poor man has not been able to sleep in days with all the threats in front of his house.

They are wearing him down.

Between the mob outside his house and the Twitter deplatforming Cocaine Mitch might get mad and transform into the War Turtle. McConnell does have a spine on occasion and the left may make him angry enough to find it on an issue he would otherwise roll over on. The left is seriously overplaying its hand here. It took 24hrs to get to "something happened in Dayton?" while mainstream labeling even milquetoast Trump supporters white supremacists. The continued MoscowMitch bullshit could very well get him to tell Pelosi to f*** off publicly.

Trump will not be re-elected if he signs anything other than the Red Flag Bill. I hate to say this but we would be better off with a liberal wack job in office. It would cause us to have our collective butts in gear and organize and March just like they do. But, we vote for Trump and Rinos and get the big green weenie up the tailpipe.

I'm not going to vote for Trump in 2020 if he signs any gun control bill including red flag laws. Christ when will these guys grow a spine and stand up to these radical left idiots.

I agree, he signs any type of ban and he loses a lot of gun owner support and I bet enough votes to lose a couple states, and thus...loses the election. My vote doesn't count anyway in MA, but he'd lose my vote.

Dan Crenshaw was live streaming on "Louder with Crowder" last night and talked about the Red-Flag legislation. The problematic parts of this (getting swatted, lack of due process, recovery of personal property, legal costs) were all discussed.

Dan noted that while he isnt necessarily in favor of these types of laws, he did say that they have to be discussed as part of the legislative process. Not a popular position, esp on a topic that has such a devastating downside for those falsely caught up in the process, but it is a reasonable ask of Congressmen to do their job

I've said this before on this forum, but what people need to understand is that in this day and age congressional Republicans are FAR more loyal to their political mega-donors than they are to their own constituents. The VAST majority of them DO NOT CARE about your rights, and do not like YOU. They have figured out how to lie to you just enough to get you to vote for them. If you look at the voting records of most congressional Republicans, even those in so-called red states (like Lindsey Graham or Mitch McConnell, for instance), you will find that MANY of them actually vote with Democrats more often than they vote with their own party!!! This is a fact! They just hope voters won't do the research so they can see this for themselves. TRUST NO ONE (except God of course!).

/Rant.

I'm not going to vote for Trump in 2020 if he signs any gun control bill including red flag laws. Christ when will these guys grow a spine and stand up to these radical left idiots.

If you live in MA voting for trump is dumb anyways, moonbats have that locked down in MA so you might as well vote on your conscience instead.

-Mike

I agree, he signs any type of ban and he loses a lot of gun owner support and I bet enough votes to lose a couple states, and thus...loses the election. My vote doesn't count anyway in MA, but he'd lose my vote.

Our votes are completely irrelevant. The danger for him in the swings is gun owners could throw in the towel and stay home because of no confidence in the system. The problem is most right-leaning gun owners are not monolithic voters on rkba but rather, they're typical Jingoservative retards. On the other hand the swing states are filled with Independents and if a lot of those people stay home then he is in serious trouble there....

Our votes are completely irrelevant. The danger for him in the swings is gun owners could throw in the towel and stay home because of no confidence in the system. The problem is most right-leaning gun owners are not monolithic voters on rkba but rather, they're typical Jingoservative retards. On the other hand the swing states are filled with Independents and if a lot of those people stay home then he is in serious trouble there....
Makes me cringe when I see trump on that NRA stage saying our 2nd Amendment is safe with him...

I totally get what you are saying about irrelevant votes in Massachusetts. But here's the thing, there is a lot of campaign money that is going to be up for grabs and a lot of wealthy right leaning people live under oppressive blue state regimes. That's a lot of support to leave on the table and for what? Making democrats happy? The woke mafia? The negative stigma that the press tries to white wash on Trump supporters is already enormous so what is a wealthy donor going to do give and go meh or sit it out?

Makes me cringe when I see trump on that NRA stage saying our 2nd Amendment is safe with him...

If he speaks at another NRA convention then honestly I am going to assume that the NRA is actually being run by Bloomberg and Lapierre is a Bloomberg puppet. I've really been having my doubts on the NRA and although I have them on my like list on Facebook I have been blasting them every time they post a "they want to take your guns" meme all while eating oysters and getting $10,000 suits tailored.

Supposedly the President talked to Wayne last night and he was advised NOT to back any anti-gun legislation including the Red Flag bill. Mitch is playing for time knowing in a few weeks these shootings will fade away.

If you live in MA voting for trump is dumb anyways, moonbats have that locked down in MA so you might as well vote on your conscience instead.

-Mike

If I lived in Massachusetts, my conscience wouldn't allow me vote for anyone but Trump, whether it counted or not.

Any conservative vote in New England or the
Northeast in general is a joke. If you’re a ‘
conservative in the Northeast your vote does
not count. Just look at the map from last election.
The north east was completely blue.

If I lived in Massachusetts, my conscience wouldn't allow me vote for anyone but Trump, whether it counted or not.
Hmmmm, really???????? Trump has already shat on gun owners and Is about to pass more gun control than any other president. Think about that for second....There will be only two presidents in the history of our country to pass an assault weapons ban, Bill Clinton and Donald J Trump. Massachusetts has nothing to do with it or being in a blue state has nothing to do with it. Trump is nothing more than a treasonous original New York Democrat who talks out of both sides of his mouth. Just YouTube that clip back from the 80s I believe where he says if I were going to run for president I would be Republican because Republicans are generally stupid.

Here's My Question...

Why do we need another Assault Weapons Ban if we are going to also get stricter Background Checks?

After passing a "stricter" Background Check, an individual should have less restrictions... not more.

Pass the Background check: Be allowed hi-cap magazines in every state...
Pass the Background check: Be allowed access to all firearm platforms in every state...
Pass the Background check: Be allowed access to fully-automatic weapons in every state...
Pass the Background check: Be allowed suppressors in every state...
Pass the Background check: Be allowed folding stocks in every state...
Pass the Background check: Be allowed Imported Firearms in every state...
Pass the Background check: Be allowed unlimited access to bulk ammunition in every state...
Pass the Background check: Be allowed CCW and Unrestricted travel in every state...

~Enbloc

Hmmmm, really???????? Trump has already shat on gun owners and Is about to pass more gun control than any other president. Think about that for second....There will be only two presidents in the history of our country to pass an assault weapons ban, Bill Clinton and Donald J Trump. Massachusetts has nothing to do with it or being in a blue state has nothing to do with it. Trump is nothing more than a treasonous original New York Democrat who talks out of both sides of his mouth. Just YouTube that clip back from the 80s I believe where he says if I were going to run for president I would be Republican because Republicans are generally stupid.

Wow, where did you get those talking points, democratic underground? I’ve heard all that crap before. How has Trump shit on the gun owners? Are you referring to bump stocks? The pieces of plastic that before anybody mentioned anything about them, if you owned one, you were considered a joke——want to be? Every time someone posted about a BS they would be mercilessly tortured. We’ve just had two mass shootings, three actually. 62% of the country thinks universal background checks is a good idea. I don’t think so but the Democrats have done a good job getting everybody to believe that more gun laws is going to make a big difference. So what’s is trump supposed to do?Stand there and say shall not be infringed!! That would guarantee him never getting elected again. He’s going to have to do something. I’m not in favor of it but he’s gonna have to do something if he wants four more years. I’d feel a lot more safe with Trump in there than anyone of those gun grabbing Democrats that have confessed they’ll go door-to-door and take whatever you have.

[puke]on Lori Trahan...

Dear Friends,

This past weekend, the people of El Paso, Texas and Dayton, Ohio suffered immensely due to gun violence. My heart is with those communities as they mourn. We must want better for each other and for our children than to allow these tragedies to continue unabated.

Too many families across the nation have endured the horror of mass shootings. As a mother of two young daughters and three grown stepsons, I believe that we must ignore the naysayers in the gun lobby and take this issue head-on. The status quo is unacceptable.

Opposing the status quo means passing universal background checks for gun purchases. I was one of the earliest cosponsors of theBipartisan Background Checks Act of 2019.That bill passed the House of Representatives nearly six months ago. However, Senate leadership still has not brought this vote to the Senate floor.

b792a2db-1584-4e43-ab57-bac8a5f07e8f.png

Back
Top Bottom