• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MC transportation question

I'm going up to Maine to get my motorcycle this coming weekend (via car) and will be riding my bike back. I wanted to bring my pistol to do some shooting at my folks house in Maine. I have a unrestricted LTC for MA, but no permits as of yet for NH or ME (waiting for them to be processed).

I'm not too worried about transport in NH and ME, but since I'll be riding from states I can't carry from into MA, I will not be wearing the pistol from the MA border to my house. I will have a backpack and my saddle bags. What do I need to do to make sure I'm compliant with Mass storage laws. My thoughts were that my gun would be unloaded in a locked case in my bag. Do I need to do anything special to put a lock on the bag (as long as I am wearing it at rest stops and etc, or anything additional for the ammo or extra mags?

Additionally on my return trip will having it in my bag locked in a case as stated violate any kind of carry laws in NH or ME? Mass is making me a little wary and I just want to make sure I'm in compliance. I plan on getting my registration and stickers before I go up to put them on my plate, but will not be getting an inspection until I get back. My understanding is that I have a 7 day period after the date of registration to do so.

Thanks,
Mike

No locks are required in either of those states, for in vehicle unloaded storage, as far as I know. Don't assume that every other state is as retarded as MA is... most aren't anywhere close.

Even in MA as long as the gun is unloaded, the case (or bag) is locked and considered a secure container (basically anything that can be locked) that's all you need to be compliant with MA transport regs.

-Mike

Last edited:
Even in MA as long as the gun is unloaded, the case (or bag) is locked and considered a secure container (basically anything that can be locked) that's all you need to be compliant with MA transport regs.

That's what I had assumed - it's a TSA approved lockbox so it should be fine. Just wanted to make sure I didn't have to put a luggage locks through my zipper or anything. Thanks for the quick reply.

Back
Top Bottom