MBTA officer shot by friendly fire?

I heard on the scanner that they recovered a spent bullet some distance from the shoot out..... Was a 40 so the consensus at the time was that it was a police round.....

I also heard the initial radio transmission of that being reported of Friday morning. If I recall, it was in some tower somewhere.

...and you perpetuate the image problem. "Bombed a world event" AND "executed a cop" AND 'injured another cop'. Why do you separate out the cops yet make no mention of the three other people who were "executed" and the many more who were permanently maimed and disfigured? Do they not rate as highly as cops?

Treat everyone as equals and the image may improve.

Don't try and twist what I said. I perpetuate the image problem? They did bomb a world event and they did execute a cop. What is false about that or exaggerated about that? A part of bombing a world event was killing 3 people and maiming many. I thought that would have been a given by just stating what I did. I make NO statement that makes one death more tragic than another because I DO NOT feel that way.

+1. Cops should be treated as the regular citizens they are, not a separate more equal class. This is a widespread problem.

And I did not say anything to the contrary. And I can tell you most of the cops I know and work with have the same attitude. And if they don't, I don't associate with them.

Last edited:
Don't try and twist what I said. I perpetuate the image problem? They did bomb a world event and they did execute a cop. What is false about that or exaggerated about that? A part of bombing a world event was killing 3 people and maiming many. I thought that would have been a given by just stating what I did. I make NO statement that makes one death more tragic than another because I DO NOT feel that way.

I didn't need to twist a thing nor did I say that you made false statements. You made a distinction between bombing an event (not murdered individuals) and an "executed" cop. Whether you meant to or not, you placed the life of the cop above the other victims. What's so hard about saying they murdered or executed 4 people?

Why not 'killed 3 people and executed a restaurant manager'?

Words have meaning, choose wisely.

Last edited:
I didn't need to twist a thing nor did I say that you made false statements. You made a distinction between bombing an event (not murdered individuals) and an "executed" cop. Whether you meant to or not, you placed the life of the cop above the other victims. What's so hard about saying they murdered or executed 4 people?

Why not 'killed 3 people and executed a restaurant manager'?

Words have meaning, choose wisely.

Stop trying to make this into something it's not, seriously. Your interpretation of what I said is far from the truth or intention.

Not sure how many times I have to tell you that, but it will be the last because this is getting stupid.

I wonder if the reason that the BPD don't carry more long guns in their crusiers is because they spend so much of their time outside of them?

Its nice to hear the opinions on here from those who clearly have ALL the facts. Ill ignore everything I've heard from people who were actually there and taking incoming rounds. Clearly internet conjecture wins.

Its nice to hear the opinions on here from those who clearly have ALL the facts. Ill ignore everything I've heard from people who were actually there and taking incoming rounds. Clearly internet conjecture wins.

I wonder how many incoming rounds there really were flying around on Friday. Did we ever find out whether they had more than that single 9mm handgun? Did you actually talk to one of the handful of officers on the street in Watertown during that one "shootout"?

I wonder how many incoming rounds there really were flying around on Friday. Did we ever find out whether they had more than that single 9mm handgun? Did you actually talk to one of the handful of officers on the street in Watertown during that one "shootout"?

You know for sure if there were more guns the news would be all over it !!! Seem like they had one handgun, and I think a pellet rifle was mentioned. The cell phone images of the shootout look like just one of them shooting. News reports hundreds of rounds fired, with no mention it was mostly cops firing blindly.

Please enlighten us oh so knowledgeable one with all the facts

Some video of the chief

[video]http://www.usatoday.com/media/cinematic/video/2100959/watertown-chief-describes-suspects-gun-battle/[/video]

And of course the knucklehead from MSNBC takes off with the fact the terrorists were shooting "raining" hundreds of rounds down at the police and only when he ran out of ammo were the officers able to tackle him, more proof that we need gun control. I could not watch the whole thing, but you'll get the point within 2 minutes. I found it odd that the chief never once said what type of gun was used or how many rounds the BGs actually shot.

[video]http://www.nbcnews.com/id/45755883/ns/msnbc-the_last_word/vp/51627689#51627689[/video]

Where did you hear that?

Just putting 2 & 2 together. There was supposedly a single scene where Speedbump and Flashbang were engaged in a gunfight with police - on the street in Watertown that night. The chief in that video says that only 6 officers were involved. Hush said

so presumably he spoke with someone who was there.

What I was told was "Incoming full auto" from a Police Officer and USMC vet who was there. I believe very little what is reported in the media as...any recent event should show you. While people discuss whether the AR was "actually used" in Newtown, I'll wait for the "official report" on this released by the DA's office. If and when, of course, and will take that with a grain of salt as well.

What I was told was "Incoming full auto" from a Police Officer and USMC vet who was there.

He was one of the 6 at that one shootout? It didn't look or sound like full auto fire in the video.

Was he sure it wasn't friendly fire at the boat scene?

Wait a minute - let me get this straight.

First the MBTA guy might have gotten shot by "friendly fire"? . Then there's the guy that was taking pictures of the two brothers out his second floor window while they were engaged in that firefight with the cops on that Watertown street: PICTURES AND EYEWINESS ACCOUNT OF THE WATERTOWN SHOOTOUT « The Burning Platform - so it's plainly obvious that if a civilian had happened to be there at the time, with a rifle - and a halfway decent shot - a civilian could have taken them both out ? Rather easily actually from the looks of the pictures.?

Then the cops bring in probably thousands of other officers - and after all of that - they can't find the kid? So they lift the stay inside order - and a civilian finds the kid in the back of his boat - where (once again) - he could have rather easily taken him out if he had a gun - because he actually poked his head in and SAW him in there - vs. the cops who showed up - couldn't get the flash-bangs into the boat - shot the crap out of the boat - and still didn't kill the kid - but apparently shot the crap out of somebody's computer room.

Oh yeah - and we're finding out that the kids were on welfare for at least some part of their lives - the mother was a shoplifter - and the younger brother might have had a brand new Camaro (like a $35,000 car if I remember correctly) - and the older brother was going to a state school - with financial help?

This story just gets more awesome by the day. This is the kind of crap you just can't make up - and could probably only happen in Massachusetts.

At first I thought the movie of that week would be made by Ben Affleck - now I'm thinking the Farrelly brothers will likely be the ones to make it.

[rofl]

Going through the pix on the above link, it appears the cops put rounds through the wall of their house and through the chair. It also looks like the wall/office was on the second floor and only 75-80 yards away. Yikes.

There is a fundamentally different set of rules when police engage bad guys than when soldiers engage the enemy.

I'm afraid that is geting lost. When I saw the video of the first shootout in Newtown, the audio sounded like hundreds of the same handgun caliber being fired. (.40) punctuated by runs of .223. I laughed when I heard it and said to my wife, "I don't hear any return fire".

I'll bet anyone here a drink that in the end we'll find that the cops shot thousands of rounds and the perps, about 30.

So back to the difference. A cop is responsible for EVERY round that leaves his firearm. A soldier is not. A cop has to think about what is behind the bad guy. The soldier less so.
We've had cops that played dress up like soldiers for the last decade. At watertown they behaved like soldiers, attempting to suppress movement with a hail of lead, with no regard for where that lead was going.

After speaking with one LEO from the boston area, it was clear to me that this was not about catching a fugitive. It was about killing someone who killed a cop. He was clearly much more agitated about the fact that a cop had been killed than by the original bombing.
In trying to catch these guys on Thu night they pumped hundreds of rounds into . . nothing, except for a neighborhood in Watertown. It is a MIRACLE that civilians were not killed.

Have you seen photos of the boat peppered with dozens of bullet holes? And the guy was unarmed.
The scene at the boat was an attempted assassination, not an apprehension.

In a strange way, I understand that. My more basic instincts would have cheered when he died. But think about it.
In trying to catch this guy they subjected the people of Watertown to FAR FAR FAR more risk than the bad guy represented.

The cherry on top of the sunday was the video of the cops pulling a family from a home.

In speaking with the cop, he said something to me like "He lost all his rights when he killed a cop". When I asked him what about the rights of the people of Watertown he started to turn red, so I just left shaking my head.

Its disgusting.

Don

p.s. One other thing. I try very hard not to judge the actions of individual LEOs when they are acting on instinct. A split second decision is often not the best decision, but its on that needed to be made. LEOs deserve some lee way when it comes to situations like this. Watertown was not that situation. It was a deliberate massing of troops and a deliberate use of force. No excuses should be made, no slack should be cut for those in command.

Last edited:
They were definitely that. They were out for blood.

Again, I understand that. I have more of a problem with the fact that they were so blinded by their desire to get the cop killer that they didn't think about how much risk they put the people of Watertown in.

with all the scanner and pager whores on this forum, i would have thought a thread would exist about fratricide. [thinking]

maybe i missed the post, TL;DR.

No, Because they don't trust them with them. Over the years, I have seen depts where only the sgt's car had the shotgun, or the sgt, would bring one out if it was called for. All these depts had thier excuses, but in all reality they didn't trust thier own cops. I have been told stories from very reliable persons in a particuliar PD that took the shotguns out of the cruisers, because the cops were using the muzzle of the shotgun as an ashtray. That was when the mounts were verticle on the dash.

That and more than one new "Sun roof" and shattered light bar.

What I was told was "Incoming full auto" from a Police Officer and USMC vet who was there. I believe very little what is reported in the media as...any recent event should show you. While people discuss whether the AR was "actually used" in Newtown, I'll wait for the "official report" on this released by the DA's office. If and when, of course, and will take that with a grain of salt as well.

Full Auto? Did you listen to the video? It wasn't full auto. I would be shocked if they even had an AR or AK, let alone a full auto one.

Back
Top Bottom