Maybe moving to Pennsylvania. Gun Laws anyone?

I'm considering a job offer out in Penn. They just passed the "stand your ground" law but in the house 159-38. It's waiting for the gov's signature. It could get vetoed. I just don't understand how one man can veto what the people want. I thought we lived in a democracy?

From what i can see it looks like a "gun friendly" state.

Anyone know anything about this state's firearms laws?

Anything is better than Mass!

Thanks

PA is great for gun laws as long as you don't live in Philadelphia. (who thinks that they can make up their own gun laws as they go along.... )

-Mike

I'm considering a job offer out in Penn. They just passed the "stand your ground" law but in the house 159-38. It's waiting for the gov's signature. It could get vetoed. I just don't understand how one man can veto what the people want. I thought we lived in a democracy?

From what i can see it looks like a "gun friendly" state.

Anyone know anything about this state's firearms laws?

Anything is better than Mass!

Thanks

Try this forum -- http://forum.pafoa.org/

PA is great for gun laws as long as you don't live in Philadelphia. (who thinks that they can make up their own gun laws as they go along.... )

-Mike

Yeah, but at least the PA legal system is such that people sometimes get paid when the Philly police make up gun laws - several people arrested for carrying with FL permits each got a few $K civil settlement from the PD.

They just passed the "stand your ground" law but in the house 159-38. It's waiting for the gov's signature. It could get vetoed. I just don't understand how one man can veto what the people want. I thought we lived in a democracy?
Didn't pay attention in civics class in High School? The legislature passes legislation, the governor can sign it or veto it. If the governor vetoes it, then the legislature can override but that takes a 2/3 majority.

And we live in a Republic: http://lexrex.com/enlightened/AmericanIdeal/aspects/demrep.html

Don't forget who their Governor is!

[strike]Yup, that too. Scumbag gun banner extraordinaire.[/strike]

Edited: The previous governor, Ed Rendell, was a scumbag gun banner. His term ended on January 18th, 2011. The new governor, Tom Corbett, said he would have signed it.

Last edited:
Didn't pay attention in civics class in High School? The legislature passes legislation, the governor can sign it or veto it. If the governor vetoes it, then the legislature can override but that takes a 2/3 majority.

And we live in a Republic: http://lexrex.com/enlightened/AmericanIdeal/aspects/demrep.html

No I didn't pay attention, I was too high :) My wife and now u, just filled me in with the 2/3's thing but it won't happen until their next session.
Their gov elect said that he would sign it.

The Gov who vetoed that is out..Tom Corbett I think is his name is the new Gov...

Yup, you're right. He just took office 3 days ago. I did a quick search, and found an article quoting Tom Corbett as saying he would have signed the stand your ground bill.

Last edited:
The Gov who vetoed that is out..Tom Corbett I think is his name is the new Gov...

That scumbag Ed Rendell vetoed the "Stand Your Ground" bill on December 2nd, AFTER the people of Pennsylvania had elected a new Governor. There should be a moratorium on certain gubernatorial powers once there is a new governor elect, and the same should be true for the Presidency. Veto power is one of them. Leave the God damn bill on your desk; the people have spoken.

That scumbag Ed Rendell vetoed the "Stand Your Ground" bill on December 2nd, AFTER the people of Pennsylvania had elected a new Governor. There should be a moratorium on certain gubernatorial powers once there is a new governor elect, and the same should be true for the Presidency. Veto power is one of them. Leave the God damn bill on your desk; the people have spoken.

Rendell was vary much an anti scumbag....

PA has gun shows galore. Nearly every weekend there are gunshows throughout the state. I hit 3 one weekend in the Easton-Allentown area. Each one was better than any show I've seen in New England in this century. PA has tons of deer and turkeys too.

PA is great for guns. I grew up there and pretty much shot guns since I was able to walk. I think you will love it there is you are into the outdoors. PA has plenty to offer. What part are you moving to? I am originally from Western PA northeast of Pittsburgh.

No I didn't pay attention, I was too high :) My wife and now u, just filled me in with the 2/3's thing but it won't happen until their next session.
Their gov elect said that he would sign it.

dont believe that till it happens.

They say what you want to hear. Then they turn around and stick it up yours. But this guy might be different.

Back
Top Bottom