• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Maybe 9mm IS effective against bears...

Cartoons

NES Member
In January 2018, I published some original research on the efficacy of pistols in stopping bear attacks. It started with this observation, on the Internet, and in print, many people claim that pistols lack efficacy in defending against bear attacks. Here is an example that occurred on freerepublic.com:

“Actually, there are legions of people who have been badly mauled after using a handgun on a bear. Even some of the vaunted magnums.”

OK, give us a few examples. As you claim “legions”, it should not be too hard.

I never received a response. I believe the claim was made in good faith. There has been much conjecture about the lack of efficacy of pistols for defense against bears. A little searching will find a plethora of fantasy, fiction, mythology, and electrons sprayed about the supposed lack.

In the original article, there were 37 instances of bear attacks where people attempted to defend themselves or others from a bear or bears, with a pistol.

Of the 37 attacks, there was only one failure, giving a success rate of 97%.

The criteria for inclusion in this study is a pistol had to be fired to defend against a bear or bears. If a pistol was not fired, the incident was not included. If the use of the pistol stopped the attack, it was a success whether the bear was killed immediately, or left the scene, as long as it stopped attacking.

All methods of defense against bears have similar problems of access. A handgun or bear spray in a pack, or a rifle slung over the shoulder without a round in the chamber, should not be counted as a use of the method to defend against bears. All of the methods can be carried for easy access. It is not a fault of the method if the user did not have them available for use, or if the attack was too quick to allow use.

I and colleagues have searched for instances where pistols were used to defend against bears. By the time of the original article I and my associates found 37 instances which were fairly easily confirmed.

Our renewed efforts have found another 26 instances. The earliest happened in 1936, the latest mere months ago. The incidents are heavily weighted toward the present. The ability to publish and search for these incidents has increased over the years. In addition to the pistol defenses, there are two new instances where pistols were used in combination with rifles, one where a pistol was used on an aggressive bear hit by a vehicle, two examples where pistols were present but not used, one indeterminate case, and two examples of unconfirmed incidents.

Both bear and human populations have increased. Reliable and powerful pistols have become more popular, legal, and commonly carried.

The 63 cases include three that meet the criteria for failure. That translates to a success rate of 95%. You need not rely on my judgement or that of my colleagues. Read of the successes and failures for yourself. Make your own judgements. Some links may not work. Sources on the Internet often go dead after a few years.

Make sure to go look at the data. It includes cartridges all the way from .22LR to the big bore rounds.

Pistols or Handguns 95% Effective When Used to Defend Against Bear Attacks, 63 Cases

Possibly any caliber could be effective against bears if you shoot them in the right place but will they be effective enough to stop them before they can get hold of you that's what matters.

Don't know the caliber, but effective against a moose,Moose Attacks The Wrong Man On Snowmobile
FWIW, it appears to be a Glock, not that it matters, caliber, who knows, 10mm would be my guess.
Effective, yes in deed, this time.

I know one thing, a moose is no pushover, but I'd rather tangle with Bullwinkle than Yogi Bear.

Possibly any caliber could be effective against bears if you shoot them in the right place but will they be effective enough to stop them before they can get hold of you that's what matters.

This^.

Handguns drill holes. Magnum calibers in handguns still just drill holes, just louder and harder. I think the justification for recommending "magnum" solutions is simply about (hopefully) being able to drill a hole even if your hasty shot placement puts the round on the bear's skull where it's strong and angled in such a way that it tends to deflect. Even then you don't want an expanding bullet. I'm sure a hard-cast or FMJ 9mm bullet will drill a hole through quite a lot of spots on a bear that you might hit. Famously, even 22LR will, though IIRC, in that case I don't think the shooter was the one being charged by the bear at the time.

FWIW, it appears to be a Glock, not that it matters, caliber, who knows, 10mm would be my guess.
Effective, yes in deed, this time.

I know one thing, a moose is no pushover, but I'd rather tangle with Bullwinkle than Yogi Bear.

This^.
How did 426 wedge say what I said?
426wedge said:

95% is not good enough. Son Mark in Alaska has taken many black and brown bears. He uses .338 Win mag and .375 H&H. He totes a rifle when he is fishing the streams for salmon. Jack.

Well, one of the three failures was with .22 rimfire against polar bears. Enough said there.

Another failure was a .38 revolver against a black bear. He fired one warning shot before climbing a tree. He fired four times at the bear while it was climbing the tree after him and attacking his foot. Given his “warning shot”, I don’t have much faith that he actually placed shots that would threaten the bears’s life.

The third failure was
.357 magnum and the guy got off one shot that missed. That could happen with rifles too.

That said, in grizzly or polar bear territory, yes a powerful rifle would be nice to have. I also think that another one of the .22 incidents should have been considered a failure. The guy was saved by his dog, giving him enough time to reload.

How did 426 wedge say what I said?
426wedge said:
I didn't,

With modern bullet development, I'm more comfortable going into black bear territory with a 9mm that has 15 rounds and that I can shoot rapid follow up shots with. But if 9mm isn't your cup of tea in bear country, Lehigh makes 10mm versions of this bullet, and all the way up to 45-70 if you're in grizzly territory.

Lehigh/Underwood 9mm 115gr +p Xtreme Penetrator
115gr-9mm-xtreme-penetrator-ammo-lehigh-defense-sku-07350115S-2048x2048.jpg

I wouldn't want to be walking a round in bear country with only a .44 magnum. A .454 would be minimum for me.

f*** no. I built a rifle in .458 SOCOM for a reason. If you're going after bears with only a handgun, you must have a death wish.

Good thing he didn’t have a 40S&W or they’d both be toast.

However, if he had a Glock 40, he’d have a pretty cool rug.

Back
Top Bottom