May be time to Lawyer up

It's kind of funny how when your in school and break the rules you get suspended........this story is kind of disheartening.

I just got my MA LTC in under 60 days(closer to 30) in Attleboro. Looking to get RI permit next. Sounds like the town or city route is the way to go. Any towns better to work with than others?

It's kind of funny how when your in school and break the rules you get suspended........this story is kind of disheartening.

I just got my MA LTC in under 60 days(closer to 30) in Attleboro. Looking to get RI permit next. Sounds like the town or city route is the way to go. Any towns better to work with than others?

Are you an RI resident? If not I think AG is the only way to go.

My mistake. Looking at the statute, it appears that as an RI resident over 21, if I have a non-res permit from another state I can apply in any town? Wondering as my town is not very friendly on permits - at least based on the app I got.

Non-residents with a concealed carry license may apply to any town for a RI non-resident permit (by statute). That's not to say all (or even most) towns welcome non-resident applications, but the law states that they must accept them.

Emphasis mine...

§ 11-47-11 License or permit to carry concealed pistol or revolver. – (a) The licensing authorities of any city or town shall, upon application of any person twenty-one (21) years of age or over having a bona fide residence or place of business within the city or town, or of any person twenty-one (21) years of age or over having a bona fide residence within the United States and a license or permit to carry a pistol or revolver concealed upon his or her person issued by the authorities of any other state or subdivision of the United States, issue a license or permit to the person to carry concealed upon his or her person a pistol or revolver everywhere within this state for four (4) years from date of issue, if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear an injury to his or her person or property or has any other proper reason for carrying a pistol or revolver, and that he or she is a suitable person to be so licensed. The license or permit shall be in triplicate in form to be prescribed by the attorney general and shall bear the fingerprint, photograph, name, address, description, and signature of the licensee and the reason given for desiring a license or permit and in no case shall it contain the serial number of any firearm. The original shall be delivered to the licensee. Any member of the licensing authority, its agents, servants, and employees shall be immune from suit in any action, civil or criminal, based upon any official act or decision, performed or made in good faith in issuing a license or permit under this chapter.

Non-residents with a concealed carry license may apply to any town for a RI non-resident permit (by statute). That's not to say all (or even most) towns welcome non-resident applications, but the law states that they must accept them.

Emphasis mine...

Right, but as a resident of City P in RI with an MA non-resident permit, I have a;

"bona fide residence within the United States and a license or permit to carry a pistol or revolver concealed upon his or her person issued by the authorities of any other state or subdivision of the United States".

So while the intent may not be to let folks from City P in RI apply for a permit from City W, a plain reading of the statue would seem to allow it in this circumstance, no? After all, the second qualifying test states "or of any person ...". If the intent was to exclude RI residents, it is not supported by the broad language used.

Last edited:
Right, but as a resident of City P in RI with an MA non-resident permit, I have a;

"bona fide residence within the United States and a license or permit to carry a pistol or revolver concealed upon his or her person issued by the authorities of any other state or subdivision of the United States".

So while the intent may not be to let folks from City P in RI apply for a permit from City W, a plain reading of the statue would seem to allow it in this circumstance, no? After all, the second qualifying test states "or of any person ...". If the intent was to exclude RI residents, it is not supported by the broad language used.
I agree with your interpretation. I don't know anyone who's tried it, and you would certainly get pushback from just about any chief you tried. But I think legally you are right.

I agree with your interpretation. I don't know anyone who's tried it, and you would certainly get pushback from just about any chief you tried. But I think legally you are right.
I know a guy who lives in a RI town where the licensing authorities does not follow the law who had a non-resident permit in another state who was able to get a RI permit from a another town. I won't say what town he applied in since I don't agree with this approach and we should apply in the town you live in if you live in RI otherwise we will not make any progress.

I love it.....you've been waiting for years to get this case resolved..... A constitutional and civil rights issue, but Tom Brady takes a couple pounds of air out of a football, and he gets a hearing right away.

So much for swift justice for the other 99%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love it.....you've been waiting for years to get this case resolved..... A constitutional and civil rights issue, but Tom Brady takes a couple pounds of air out of a football, and he gets a hearing right away.

So much for swift justice for the other 99%

NFL. Important for many reasons. OP, not so much.

Subscribing to this thread. Is OP stills reaching for the settlement or for a court decision? (Everyone should be rooting for a court decision)

FWIW, my family had a probate lawyer who would not return phone calls email, or even registered letters. Finally, we reported him to the Rhode Island Bar Association, and they woke his ass up and got things done!

Back
Top Bottom