• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

May be time to Lawyer up

I think it was good that he still denied you since now there is a good chance we will get some good case law in Rhode Island. I still haven't heard anything on my case, but maybe the RI Supreme Court combines our cases since they are similar.

You can find the petition, objection, and order on RIFOL's web page.
http://www.rifol.org/litigation.php

I think it was good that he still denied you since now there is a good chance we will get some good case law in Rhode Island. I still haven't heard anything on my case, but maybe the RI Supreme Court combines our cases since they are similar.

You can find the petition, objection, and order on RIFOL's web page.
http://www.rifol.org/litigation.php

Good read...RI seems to be as bad as MA for securing an LTC.

Good luck.

Good read...RI seems to be as bad as MA for securing an LTC.

Good luck.
It depends a little where you live. Some RI towns are better than MA, while other are worse. However, I think the law is better in RI for gun owners, now we just need the licensing authorities to understand the law they are supposed to enforce.... Hopefully, we can get the RI Supreme Court how the law should be interpreted.

bad news, it wasn't the court, it was my lawyer that droped the ball, I'm now in legal limbo and im looking kind of screwed. I will update when/if this issue is resolved.

wtf! they dragged this shit out for over 2 years now and look to have the upper hand due to BS reasons. Lawyer screw up and drying up your resources. [angry2]

I just called the Supreme Court clerk and they didn't have any recent updates on this case. Who told you about this, your lawyer?

From what I understand, your lawyer should have filed another petition within 30 days of the second denial, is that correct?

i missed this thread and stumbled on it now..man your a trooper. good luck moving forward and hope it all works out for you

Got a link? Post updates on RIFOL.org as well. NewportRI would like to know the status.

Unfortunately to the best of my knowledge they only place it is posted is on PACER (the federal court document search program), and that's a pain to sign up for. If you already have a pacer account the case number is [SIZE=+1]1:14-cv-00337-M-LDA[/SIZE]

Finally some movement in the case again. It is interesting that Bristol denies that you are a suitable person (see items #33 or #34 in their response)... Hopefully there is nothing about you that we don't know about ;-)

With the Archer Case, the towns were compelled to issue permit applications pursuant to 11-47-11, irrelevant of the AG permit. With this case, hopefully they will be compelled to issue the permits.
Finally some movement in the case again. It is interesting that Bristol denies that you are a suitable person (see items #33 or #34 in their response)... Hopefully there is nothing about you that we don't know about ;-)

#33: Gendreau is a suitable person for a concealed carry permit pursuant to G.L. § 11-47-11(a).

Where as in the Mosby case, they define suitability as:
such as convicted felons, the insane, children, or those untrained for or incapable of
bearing arms

So unless Gendreau falls into one of these categories, he is therefore suitable

#34:Bristol Defendants deny the allegations set forth in paragraph 34 to the extent that self defense,
firearms collecting, and increased employment opportunities may not be sufficient
purposes for a concealed carry permit pursuant to § 11-47-11(a).

Key text of 11-47-11(a):
or has any other proper reason for carrying a pistol or revolver

Where as the Mosby V Devine decision revealed this:
An avid gun collector, plaintiff has a proper reason for carrying a pistol or revolver and there is no suggestion that he is an
unsuitable person. In contrast to § 11-47-18, the statute now before the Court, § 11-47-11 is
mandatory – an applicant who meets the criteria set forth in § 11-47-11 is entitled to a gun
permit.
And goes on to say that:
Because anyone who meets the conditions of § 11-47-11 is entitled to a gun permit, this mandatory requirement supplies the necessary
safeguards to the right to bear arms in this state and vindicates the rights set forth in art. 1, sec.
22, of the Rhode Island Constitution

So Yes, having a C&R is proper reason.

I wonder what Bristol's end game here is, to force this to the national level and see what happens?
Haven't we already had a national case where firearm rights extend beyond the home?
I wonder who's footing the Town Solicitor's bill in Bristol.

Last edited:
I wonder who's footing the Town Solicitor's bill in Bristol.
The tax payers in Bristol are paying for it.
However, I have heard that the RI Attorney General's office has said they will pay up to $10,000 in legal fees to towns that are being sued for pistol permit denials. I have not confirmed this, and I am sure they will deny it.
If the AG's office indeed provided to the money to Bristol, there should be a paper trail of the money..

I think the solicitor only care about billing the town and doesn't care whether he win or lose and I think it is pretty obvious that Bristol does not have a good chance in court with this case (although I am sure he/she is telling Bristol their case is strong).

The Chief has completely ignored the law when processing the application since the denial was essentially because the applicant didn't "demonstrate a need". It's too bad this wasn't resolved in State Supreme court since this really is straight forward case of not following State Law.

Back
Top Bottom