May be time to Lawyer up

I know this is a few months old but as a Bristol resident I'd like to know what's going on with your case? Good luck!

Nothing new as of yet, still with the lawyer/court. But i would suggest you start the application process, i have herd (2nd hand) that the chief has been more lenient lately so odds are you won't need to go through the same trouble I am.

The Chief has issued at least two permits the last I heard at least a month ago.
Go ahead and apply, there is no reason to wait any longer. Neverknowsbest's case is still very important since we will hopefully get some good case law on a denial of a permit since RI is Shall Issue.

My case has been filed in the state supreme court. Will post docket number when it is provided to me.

Case number is: SU-13-0055

Last edited:
Awesome, I cannot wait to hear the result. I know there is another case waiting to be filed shortly over a denial as well. I got my denial letter from Newport yesterday and will file as well. The petition will have to be written, so I don't know when this will happen, but hopefully pretty soon.

Update: The COP had 30 days to respond. They requested and where granted a 30 day extension of time on the 22nd. So it looks like there wont be another update until antleast April 22nd.

Sounds like Bristol is trying to find a way to defend the COP's actions. They are gonna need more than 30 days since this seems pretty obvious to me that the COP did not process the application according to the law.

I did not post this earlier, but since the case is now public knowledge and I’m assuming that the COP now knows this fun little fact: I recorded my interview. No one asked me questions that would have an effect on the question of suitability, and I have the audio evidence to prove it. Got to love one party states.

Last edited:
Case Update:

after 2 extensions the town has come back with an "objection to petition for writ of certiorari" (Aka they are saying that "the supreme court shouldn't agree to hear this case and here is why"). So I'm guessing its up to the court now if they are going to grant me the writ (aka will hear my case and make a ruling on it).

Last edited:
Good luck with the fight.

I'm new here and just read through all this and well....I stand up and applaud you for your efforts.

I'm no lawyer nor do I pretend to be one and I must admit I had no idea what "objection to petition for writ of certirari" means other than "lets through out some legal jargon".

The time frame looks as though they were trying to buy themselves time in hopes a gun bill would pass saying the AG has sole authority and that then this suit was pointless...but well that hasn't happened yet.

I, (same lawyer as neverknowsbest) have also filed a petition with the RI Supreme Court for a cert review of my denial in Newport, RI. The Chief objected last week and gave a bunch of ridiculous reasons that were wrong and/or taken out of context why the court should not take the case. It really shows how little he knows and/or cares about the law. Now that there are two very similar cases in the Supreme Court, I hope they will take the cases.
Unfortunately, the calendar seems to so far have mostly cases that are 1-2 years old...

Lawyer called, from what I understand from the voicemail he left:
They SC said the police chief’s reason wasn't good enough to deny me a permit so they overturned his decision.
He has 90 days to issue me a permit or deny me again for a valid reason.

I
will post more once I actually speak to my lawyer/ see the actuall letter from the SC (waiting for it to be e-mailed to me)

Lawyer called, from what I understand from the voicemail he left:
They SC said the police chief’s reason wasn't good enough to deny me a permit so they overturned his decision.
He has 90 days to issue me a permit or deny me again for a valid reason.

I
will post more once I actually speak to my lawyer/ see the actuall letter from the SC (waiting for it to be e-mailed to me)
That sounds positive. Unfortunately it sounds like we won't get any case law out of it?

I wonder that the reasoning behind allowing 90 days? That seems like a long time in light of how long you have been disenfranchised so far.

The Chief will probably issue now that he has already issued permits, but Chief Canario is stubborn and arrogant so you never know what he will do. I agree it seems excessive to give him another 90 days when he should have had this information when he denied him.
We will have to read the transcript/order/decision and see what the judge says.

Last edited:
Update:
Chief denied me again saying in short that since i have not been threatened or need it for my job he will not issue it. So to the state supreme court it goes.

Back
Top Bottom