• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Maxx Tech brass

hijinx

NES Member
New reloader here. Took @EddieCoyle 's reloading class and learned a bunch. I believe it was during this class that Maxx Tech brass was mentioned as having reduced case volume due to a stepped case wall and should not be reloaded due to the case volume being lessened.

upload_2019-8-11_15-39-49.jpeg

So I bought my first batch of 9mm brass to reload and during sorting came across some Maxx Tech brass but these did not have the stepped wall. Tried to get a decent picture.

20190811_153409.jpg 20190811_153424.jpg

Is there any reason not to reload these?

You just took a class from a knowledgeable guy who told you Maxxtech brass should not be reloaded because it has a decreased case volume and now you're asking if there is any reason you should not reload Maxxtech brass?

You just took a class from a knowledgeable guy who told you Maxxtech brass should not be reloaded because it has a decreased case volume and now you're asking if there is any reason you should not reload Maxxtech brass?

DUE to a stepped wall. These do not have that wall. As I mentioned, I am new to reloading so I am asking questions to learn.

Blow up my gun due to the brass being weaker? Is it crap brass in general? Fell free to add conversation of value.

The stepped brass is a stress riser and easily splits, leading to a case head separation and a large volume of hot gas and particles accelerating into your gun and soft body parts. Hope that's enough value for you.

Yes it's crap brass, probably the wrong hardness and alloy compared with good brass (Starline, Winchester, etc.)

Blow up my gun due to the brass being weaker? Is it crap brass in general? Fell free to add conversation of value.
i will say
1. Its best to just avoid MaxxTech brass all together
2. Are you sure its brass, its russian stuff right.
3. You could do a H2O volume test and compare your results to other known brass?
4. Im currious to this design. Was this stuff designed for sub machine guns? To get pressure and velocity up with less powder?

i will say
1. Its best to just avoid MaxxTech brass all together
2. Are you sure its brass, its russian stuff right.
3. You could do a H2O volume test and compare your results to other known brass?
4. Im currious to this design. Was this stuff designed for sub machine guns? To get pressure and velocity up with less powder?

As to #4, I doubt it. The engineering time and effort that would be put into such a case would cost more than a couple of extra pallets of powder to make up the difference using regular capacity brass in a few million rounds......but anything is possible.

It's probably fine but I'd throw that sh*t out immediately just on principal...lost track of how many times I've been kicked in the nuts by MaxxTech brass ;-)

The stepped brass is a stress riser and easily splits, leading to a case head separation and a large volume of hot gas and particles accelerating into your gun and soft body parts. Hope that's enough value for you.

Yes it's crap brass, probably the wrong hardness and alloy compared with good brass (Starline, Winchester, etc.)

Yup, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom