• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Maxim 50 muzzleloader 50 state legal internally suppressed black powder rifle?

mikeyp

NES Member
https://www.store.silencerco.com/collections/maxim-50/products/maxim-50?variant=37950952529

SCO_5414_grande.jpg

SCO_4531_1024x1024.jpg

ATF letter https://silencerco.com/wp-content/themes/silencerco/documents/maxim50/full-atf-letter.pdf

You just beat me to posting this. I have no use for it other than being cool, but I want one now. I'll have to read the MA silencer ban carefully.

Sounds like they're applying the same reasoning and determination that makes air rifles with permanently attached suppressors legal.

You just beat me to posting this. I have no use for it other than being cool, but I want one now. I'll have to read the MA silencer ban carefully.

It says a muzzleloader is always an antique and since the suppressor is not removable it's ok? LenS?

That must be a nightmare to clean after using.

Hard to say without actually doing it myself.

Last time I owned and shot any black powder firearm (pistol), was 40 years ago.

All I know is that just the hassle of cleaning it was enough to make me want to never buy another
black powder firearm again.

Last edited by a moderator:
with the corrosiveness of black powder, I wonder if you set yourself up for an NFA felony if you remove the 'moderator' for cleaning.

also, the idea if running water through a barrel with a moderator on the end of it gives me the shivers.

Apparently you're not familiar with suppressors. They actually recommend putting a little water in them, makes them more quiet.

Apparently you're not familiar with suppressors. They actually recommend putting a little water in them, makes them more quiet.

apparently I'm not - because I live in a statist shithole that doesn't allow mere mortals to possess one even after the .fed inspired NFA stamp buttrape.

But good info to know....

It says a muzzleloader is always an antique and since the suppressor is not removable it's ok? LenS?

Yes, that's the federal law, and the ATF letter means it's legal at least until they change their minds.

Do you trust Maura to follow the fed interpretation?

Regarding the water talk, They call for use of blackhorn 209 which you clean like its smokeless powder. I use regular hoppes and its very clean burning not much residue.

Honestly, since they're deeming this a "sound moderator affixed to an antique firearm" I dont see why you couldnt hunt with it in Mass. You didnt buy it as a silencer so it shouldnt be treated as one. Of course i'd expect to recieve some sh*t from the EPO.

Really though, hats off to silencerCO. Some serious thinking to pull this one off

Assuming the ads are correct and that this would not be illegal in MA, I wonder then if there is any other regulation that would preclude its use for hunting in MA, (or NY & NH)
I thought the $1000 price tag was for just the suppressor at first, but since it includes the muzzleloader it is not too bad. Still more than double the price of a similar inline muzzleloader.

*Customers will need to purchase a rail in order to mount an optic. The Maxim 50 does not include sights. SilencerCo recommends the rail listed above or any similar product.

The linked rail is $8. You'd think for $1,000, they could throw one in for you, especially since irons are not an option.

Section 10A: Selling, giving or using silencers; confiscation and destruction

Section 10A. Any person, other than a federally licensed firearms manufacturer, an authorized agent of the municipal police training committee, or a duly authorized sworn law enforcement officer while acting within the scope of official duties and under the direct authorization of the police chief or his designee, or the colonel of the state police, who sells or keeps for sale, or offers, or gives or disposes of by any means other than submitting to an authorized law enforcement agency, or uses or possesses any instrument, attachment, weapon or appliance for causing the firing of any gun, revolver, pistol or other firearm to be silent or intended to lessen or muffle the noise of the firing of any gun, revolver, pistol or other firearm shall be punished by imprisonment for not more than five years in state prison or for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction. Nothing contained herein shall be construed to prohibit a federally licensed firearms manufacturer from selling such instrument, attachment, weapon or appliance to authorized law enforcement agencies for law enforcement purposes or to the municipal police training committee for law enforcement training. Upon conviction of a violation of this section, the instrument, attachment or other article shall be confiscated by the commonwealth and forwarded, by the authority of the written order of the court, to the colonel of the state police, who shall destroy said article.

No F'ing way is this not covered by the above law... While firearm is defined, "gun" isn't. That's for starters. It doesn't have to be an attachment, the law covers integral through the use of the word "weapon". Need I go on?

No F'ing way is this not covered by the above law... While firearm is defined, "gun" isn't. That's for starters. It doesn't have to be an attachment, the law covers integral through the use of the word "weapon". Need I go on?

The way I read that, the Maxim 50 is not covered under above 'law' or 'regulation' or whatever nonsense it is. And it is nonsense.

I'm sure the kernel destroys everything that he is supposed to, right?

It's not a firearm, it's an unregulated piece of metal!! They are saying outright that they will ship to MA, so all you MA guys, get ordering!!!!

"Apparently" you're not familiar with the warrantees on some suppressors are voided if you shoot them "wet".

Cue the hysterical "Silenced .50 caliber rifles that can shoot down the space shuttle" BS.

I got to get out of this state - all I want to do is suppress a couple of .22s for small game and range. Is that so much to ask for?

Depending on the type of suppressor, the right liquid can help with cooling and sound reduction. I run my suppressed shotgun very wet using a mix of one part water soluble cutting oil to ten parts tap water. The water eventually evaporates, leaving a thin film of oil which helps to reduce corrosion. Jack.

I'm gonna get 50 of them. Make my own repeater. It might be heavy at that point, but it'll repeat. [rofl]

Interesting concept. "But why?" execution. LOL

Depending on the type of suppressor, the right liquid can help with cooling and sound reduction. I run my suppressed shotgun very wet using a mix of one part water soluble cutting oil to ten parts tap water. The water eventually evaporates, leaving a thin film of oil which helps to reduce corrosion. Jack.

Wounded how coolant you use in a cnc machine would work out . Most mix it so it's 10%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom