• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Max effective range of an air rifle?

Where, about, is the offending shit factory. I may be inclined to lend you my Gamo. She has taken many a Grackle at 50 yards and more furry tailed tree rats than I can count.

Your other option is to go green. Buy whatever you want, and sell it here in the classifieds. It's a win win. Unless you are the crow!

Looking around it seems like there is the whisper and the whisper G2, with the G2 replacing the whisper in 2014. But I can't find a G2. I see the Accu-whisper, the Wildcat Whisper and the Whisper Fusion. Only the Fusion has iron sights and thats $249.

There is the "Whisper Silent Cat" for $149, which seems well reviewed:

Gamo Whisper Silent Cat. Air rifles | Pyramyd Air

And the Hatsan 87 QE Vortex for $180, and that one has a gas piston, not a spring. This is now the leading contender.
Hatsan ! Now your talking !! 125 sniper in camo pattern , the bomb diggity !

I got my hands on a Walther CP99, an air pistol. It uses CO2 cartridges and I picked up some at Dick's. I got some pellets, but when I put them into the cassette it wouldn't fit in, the pellets were too long. I'll take them back and see if I can find the right ones. If I can't hit it with this thing I'll get a rifle.

Didn't you get the memo? We are boycotting Dick's because they won't sell ARs, or is it because they won't sell rifles to those under 21? Fudge - I forget why they're boycotting me, because the reason doesn't apply to me, but we have to stand together. Once a company takes a stand against us gunowners, we ALL have to band together and hit them where it hurts, the wallet. Take all that stuff back to Dick's, get your money back and go to Walmart. Better yet, go to Tractor Supply Co.

If not a pump up or CO2, then what?

Spring or gas piston. I like springs for what you wanna do. Pump ups fill an air bladder so don't be confused between 1 cocking stroke on a spring versus 10 "pump" on a crosman.

I've found using Super Colibri ammo in my .22 quiter than my Beeman actually.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUyz0uWg3Lw

Many places it’s a violation to discharge a firearm near dwellings and road ways
Unless your local laws say other wise pellet/BB guns are not firearms
As for taking out regulated game I think if you have owners permission and this vermin is doing damage you can take them out. Some species are protected like seagulls.
Have fun.
I say get one of these ATN night vision scopes and have some fun hunting the vermin down

I killed a squirrel with a heart/lung shot with a .177 pellet gun at about fifty feet or so. Bird would be no problem. Open sights. With the right pellets (not BB's which spin wildly), they're pretty accurate.

Did you get one of these
7812527_orig-100x100.jpg
in the last group buy? That should do it.

Personally, I use a Gamo out to about 100 ft. (that is where the treeline starts) and a Daisy model 717 pistol within ~30 ft. I've got a lot of English (House) sparrows (they're not indigenous, and they kill other birds in boxes) with the Daisy.

Many places it’s a violation to discharge a firearm near dwellings and road ways
Unless your local laws say other wise pellet/BB guns are not firearms
As for taking out regulated game I think if you have owners permission and this vermin is doing damage you can take them out. Some species are protected like seagulls.
Have fun.
I say get one of these ATN night vision scopes and have some fun hunting the vermin down
Had the same south American immigrants call the cops on me in Lynn for shooting rats that they caused (putting trash in bags on the ground.) Of course they were a tad miffed that I threw the remains in their yard near their door. I informed the responding officer I was just shooting in my yard. He asked how many I've got. I said 120 or so for the year. He shrugged and left.

My Diana air king would solve this problem. I think it just depends on the air gun that you buy.

Back
Top Bottom