Max effective range of an air rifle?

Are the birds Loons? They are pretty common on the cape, crapping cement allover sailboats. It is migratory waterfowl so it is against the law to shoot them.

Are the birds Loons? They are pretty common on the cape, crapping cement allover sailboats. It is migratory waterfowl so it is against the law to shoot them.

No! It’s a crow, and legal to shoot if you have a hunting license.

I second the iron sights instead of scope.
Also, pellets get screwy right at 1000 fps, so about 900-950 should be perfect.

Since you want it quiet, the Gamo whisper seems to always get good reviews and is at the upper end of “cheap” air guns.

I still say Pistol.
Out on a dock with an air rifle will bring the swat team and lock down every school in the county.

Alternate suggestion would be to rig a bug zapper to the aluminum mast.

not an air rifle but I have an old crossman co2 pistol that was made in the 50's so crossman said when i sent it in for seal repair. it shoots extremely tight out to 15-20 yards with crossman .22 cal competition pellets. a decent rifle ought to beat that 2x over I would think. it looks like this.

3374868_02_3_3_vintage_pellet_guns_pistol_640 (2).jpg

not an air rifle but I have an old crossman co2 pistol that was made in the 50's so crossman said when i sent it in for seal repair. it shoots extremely tight out to 15-20 yards with crossman .22 cal competition pellets. a decent rifle ought to beat that 2x over I would think. it looks like this.

View attachment 249892
Classic , love it.

A magnum .177 air rifle, >1100 FPS has no issue taking a big crow at 50 - 75ft if you can hit it.

I have looked at about 30 rifles at this point. Knowing nothing about these, I'm paralyzed with indecision. Is there one I can get for about $150 or less that has a decent scope and will do the job? I can't even decide that caliper to go for...

If anyone has one they want to sell let me know!

PS - For no good reason I'm still leaning toward this one, although the reviews say its a bit heavy and loud:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KNB0AL0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3AWOP9LX3X1E6&psc=1

Seems like a solid choice.

I still say Pistol.
Out on a dock with an air rifle will bring the swat team and lock down every school in the county.

Alternate suggestion would be to rig a bug zapper to the aluminum mast.

The Crossman that looks like a Colt Python is powerful enough for squirrels and accurate enough for mice. Decent price, too. If you get this, PM me and I’ll send you some extra clips.

Look into a Stoeger x20s, a break barrel .22 and get some Crossman hollow points. Impressive scope that's easy to zero in, suppressor barrel is quiet, and you can drop crows and squirrels without attracting attention to yourself

Classic , love it.
thanks. the photo is not my pistol but looks exactly like it. I found it in the bottom of a box of shooting junk someone gave me...has to be over 25 years now. sent to crossman to go over and replace the seals, thing works like a champ.

I have the whisper. If you’re not going to drop the coin on a excellent PCP like the Benjamin Discovery in .22.... Get the Whisper.177. I have split squirrel heads open with either of these. I loan out the Whisper, and people can’t believe the accuracy, given it’s cost. Go with a heavy hunting round, like crosman domes or hollow points. It will lower velocity to subsonic, yet carry the kill power needed. If you buy new, clean the barrel. Dieseling is not good for the gun, or your stealth. I use both for pest control in a densely populated section of the ‘burg surrounded by moonbats.

Good luck.

I "removed" Pigeons from where I used to work. Furthest shot with my Ruger 177 cal was 68 yards. Range finder and a witness. (Plant Manager) he was impressed

you do not need to kill ,crows are pretty smart but do not like to be harassed at all, once done you are good for a year , alternatively you can hit one with a paint ball ( bright color) the rest of his friends will eat him for you

I got my hands on a Walther CP99, an air pistol. It uses CO2 cartridges and I picked up some at Dick's. I got some pellets, but when I put them into the cassette it wouldn't fit in, the pellets were too long. I'll take them back and see if I can find the right ones. If I can't hit it with this thing I'll get a rifle.

Lots of great into guys thanks!

Oh, I'll be sure to shoot it on a Sunday.

I have the whisper...

Looking around it seems like there is the whisper and the whisper G2, with the G2 replacing the whisper in 2014. But I can't find a G2. I see the Accu-whisper, the Wildcat Whisper and the Whisper Fusion. Only the Fusion has iron sights and thats $249.

There is the "Whisper Silent Cat" for $149, which seems well reviewed:

Gamo Whisper Silent Cat. Air rifles | Pyramyd Air

And the Hatsan 87 QE Vortex for $180, and that one has a gas piston, not a spring. This is now the leading contender.

Look into a Stoeger x20s, a break barrel .22 and get some Crossman hollow points. Impressive scope that's easy to zero in, suppressor barrel is quiet, and you can drop crows and squirrels without attracting attention to yourself

* this . . . . Accurate, pretty quiet,in your price range.

Back
Top Bottom