Maverick 88 Sharp edge on loading port

I just picked up a Maverick 88 shotgun (with 2 barrels!!!) and just got back from shooting it the first time. The gun shoots great. I had two issues. One is that loading the magazine tube can be a little sticky. They don't always just pop right in. I had to wiggle them a little. This problem leads to the second problem. The edges of the loading port are freaking sharp! So when I started to fiddle with the shells while loading it my thumb knuckle contacted to the side edge of the port. It broke the skin. It's kind of like a bad paper cut but it bled like crazy, which is really annoying because then I'm getting blood all over the place and had to stop shooting and go to the car and get a napkin to put pressure on it. Pain in the butt. The cold temperatures probably didn't help the situation because my hands were cold and it made it hard to feel the edge.

Anyone have this experience and/or any fixes?

You should always bring your first aid kit to the range.

my 88 has neither of those issues. Can you take down the sharp edge with a file?

It's not a major injury. A little pressure stopped it. The edges on the loading port aren't sharp on yours? I hate to file it, it would take off the bluing.

Electrical tape might be good! You're answer made me think, maybe a small bead of silicone sealant along the edges?

If it's really sharp, I'd hit it with a file/dremel and some cold blue. You don't want to start gumming up the works with tape or silicone.

If it's really sharp, I'd hit it with a file/dremel and some cold blue. You don't want to start gumming up the works with tape or silicone.

I'm going to second this. Safety (physical and mechanical) > bluing. You can always touch up the bluing when you're done.

its a maverick 88....make it work. Heck just breaking the edge on the inner side with a nail file might be just enough to nock down the edge.

also did you completely clean the shotgun? The anti corrosive stuff they put on these new guns is far from lube and is often a dry film that has a slight stickiness to it

its a maverick 88....make it work. Heck just breaking the edge on the inner side with a nail file might be just enough to nock down the edge.

also did you completely clean the shotgun? The anti corrosive stuff they put on these new guns is far from lube and is often a dry film that has a slight stickiness to it

+1!

A maverick 88 is not a gun I would care about the finish on. A sharp edge is NOT worth keeping the bluing on a low cost shotgun mint. What did you buy the maverick for? To look at or to shoot?

Pull the spring and follower out and clean the tube , spring and follower.
CLP on all and reassemble.
The packing oil/ rust preventive is thick sticky crap.
If you haven't done a strip and clean on the rest , you should.
Like others have said , a fine file and a blue touch up pen and done on the port.

I agree. I think just a touch will bring it down. Some of the problem I think was that the mag tube and spring was really new and sticky. I took some empty shells and ran them through it and it loads better now. The cold didn't help either.

I'll hit with a fine file and then touch up the bluing. I also have a Beretta Outlander and that load port is not sharp at all. I don't understand why they wouldn't round off that edge. It's pretty sharp.

I bought the gun as a second gun to the Outlander to shoot trap. Nothing serious, just casual. I got the gun for $220 with the 28 inch barrel and then got a 18.5 inch barrel for $80. It seems to shoot as straight as the Outlander.

I cleaned it before I shot it. It definitely is smoother after shooting it though.

did you clean all of it though.... I wish I had the computer pictures of the anti corrosive compound that came off my browning new out of the box...

did you take the follower and spring out and run a big bore mop through the magazine tube?

Last edited:
EVERY range bag should have a First Aid Kit in it!!!!

Calm down. First aid for what? Do you think if you shoot yourself, a first aid kit is going to help you? Butterfly sutures and band aids will be useless. Unless your first aid kit contains an x-ray machine and a general surgeon it's not going to do anything. I'm an RN. I cut my finger. No big deal. I tied a napkin around it. First aid accomplished.

When trying to bring the price down, you lose out on quality control and end up with rough machining and edges/burrs. Take a file and go at it before you dremel it.

Example of why it's good to carry band aids in your wallet. And a tourniquet in your truck.

Calm down. First aid for what? Do you think if you shoot yourself, a first aid kit is going to help you? Butterfly sutures and band aids will be useless. Unless your first aid kit contains an x-ray machine and a general surgeon it's not going to do anything. I'm an RN. I cut my finger. No big deal. I tied a napkin around it. First aid accomplished.

a gunshot is not the reason you have a first aid kit. call 911 if you shoot yourself please...

shotgun barrel dropped and tried to catch, i patched him up good enough to get the stitches
189.jpg

Time to do some manual labor and get rid of them pansy hands.

Or just file down the sharp edges like the rest of us. Either would work just fine.

a gunshot is not the reason you have a first aid kit. call 911 if you shoot yourself please...

shotgun barrel dropped and tried to catch, i patched him up good enough to get the stitches
189.jpg
A napkin and a piece of tape. That's all you need and that's all that's in a first aid kit.

Pretty much, mostly... For cuts and scratches that would otherwise end your day, a First Aid kit is indispenable. And those little single use Bacitracin packs will do wonders to prevent infections, since no range I have ever been to is anywhere NEAR as clean as an OR. Got kids? They don't do "Electrical tape and paper towel" like us. I don't have a Trauma Kit in my bag because I wanted to spend $200 on Israeli bandages and Quikclot and the like. I have it because I don't EVER want to say "Oh Jesus, I wish I had just bought that 'blah blah' but the dude on the interwebz said..." I pray that I never have to pull it out, just like I pray to God I never have to pull my gun. But I'm glad I have both, to have neither would be irresponsible.

Pretty much, mostly... For cuts and scratches that would otherwise end your day, a First Aid kit is indispenable. And those little single use Bacitracin packs will do wonders to prevent infections, since no range I have ever been to is anywhere NEAR as clean as an OR. Got kids? They don't do "Electrical tape and paper towel" like us. I don't have a Trauma Kit in my bag because I wanted to spend $200 on Israeli bandages and Quikclot and the like. I have it because I don't EVER want to say "Oh Jesus, I wish I had just bought that 'blah blah' but the dude on the interwebz said..." I pray that I never have to pull it out, just like I pray to God I never have to pull my gun. But I'm glad I have both, to have neither would be irresponsible.

I taught my daughter tape and napkin bandages...
Any time I get a booboo she looks for the "kit"

Back
Top Bottom