Mauser sporter build.

PatMcD

NES Member
I just did a parking lot deal for a couple of Mauser actions/bolts/barrels/stock. I think they are 98-pattern CZ actions, but they've been scrubbed, so that's just a guess. Anyways one barrel is chambered in 22 Swift. The other barrel is a 30-caliber blank.
So, my question is: what to chamber that .30 in? 30-06 and 308 are boring, so lets try something else. My first 2 (or 3) thoughts would be 300 Win Mag (or 300 H&H), neither of which I have any use for. The other would be 300 Blackout. Again, I really have no use for it, but it might be fun with a can on it.

Any 30 I'm not thinking of?

I'd be so much happier if it was a 25, 6, 6.5, or 7 blank.

My vote would be 300BLK. You can make cases out of 5.56 brass, its a caliber designed to be used with a can, and Mini-Mausers in 7.62x39 supposedly have very mild recoil; 300BLK supersonic and 7.62x39 are very similar.

A six or seven pound carbine with a suppressor and cheap ammo would be fun.

6.5 Kardashian FTW.... would be cool in a new-meets-old soft of way.... cause people to do double takes, etc.

6.5 Kardashian FTW.... would be cool in a new-meets-old soft of way.... cause people to do double takes, etc.

I peruse Sniper's Hide for the knowledge and some guys do have precision rifles based on Mausers in calibers like 6.5CM or 6.5x47 Lapua. However, they usually do that because a Mauser is what they have, not because they're great actions for precision rifles.

It can be done, just not ideal.

My vote would be 300BLK. You can make cases out of 5.56 brass, its a caliber designed to be used with a can, and Mini-Mausers in 7.62x39 supposedly have very mild recoil; 300BLK supersonic and 7.62x39 are very similar.

A six or seven pound carbine with a suppressor and cheap ammo would be fun.
Seconding this one. Sounds like a fun and handy "brush gun"

Do you want to handload or just be able to buy the ammo you want?
My stock choice would be 7.65x53 Mauser. It's hard to find right now but is usually available.
My wildcat choice would be the 30-06 ICL Caribou

I just did a parking lot deal for a couple of Mauser actions/bolts/barrels/stock. I think they are 98-pattern CZ actions, but they've been scrubbed, so that's just a guess. Anyways one barrel is chambered in 22 Swift. The other barrel is a 30-caliber blank.
So, my question is: what to chamber that .30 in? 30-06 and 308 are boring, so lets try something else. My first 2 (or 3) thoughts would be 300 Win Mag (or 300 H&H), neither of which I have any use for. The other would be 300 Blackout. Again, I really have no use for it, but it might be fun with a can on it.

Any 30 I'm not thinking of?

I'd be so much happier if it was a 25, 6, 6.5, or 7 blank.
Could always shelve the 30 cal blank and pick up a barrel. Lother walther has some different cals for the mauser actions.
FWIW - i went boring and picked up a 308 barrel for my 98 military configuration.

I'd want to do the 300 Blackout as well, but only if that short a cartridge would feed from the existing magazine, or someone makes a magazine that works. No idea myself how a controlled feed, larger bolt face (I'm assuming) and shorter cartridge than the magazine was designed for interact.

300 H&H would be fun. I have a Zastava in 375 H&H that I also have no real use for, but it's a blast to shoot. 7.5 Swiss?

There is a short action kit , magazine plate and spacer. Bolt would need to be reconfigured?

I'd assume so. I looked around on a couple other forums and found some talk about converting Mauser bolts to 223 class cartridges, and none of it sounded easy. Tig welding up bolt faces and remachining, welding extensions on the extractor, cutting the Mauser bolt to use Savage bolt heads, that sort of thing. The general consensus was it can be done, but why wouldn't you save yourself a lot of trouble and start with a Mini-Mauser, R700, Savage or almost anything but a full size Mauser. That magazine kit would solve a lot of issues, though.

I'd assume so. I looked around on a couple other forums and found some talk about converting Mauser bolts to 223 class cartridges, and none of it sounded easy. Tig welding up bolt faces and remachining, welding extensions on the extractor, cutting the Mauser bolt to use Savage bolt heads, that sort of thing. The general consensus was it can be done, but why wouldn't you save yourself a lot of trouble and start with a Mini-Mauser, R700, Savage or almost anything but a full size Mauser. That magazine kit would solve a lot of issues, though.
I have been looking around for a while as i tried to decide what to do with my Mauser 98k
My Israeli 7.62 NOS barrel shipped today

Back
Top Bottom