• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mattapoisett Police Chief Arrested For OUI

Not to mention even without that the person they arrested is from a muni, they don't give a shit.

The "bad blood" stories between MA munis and MSP could probably fill a bible.

staties have body cams now, right? Body cam footage can be FOIA'd. They can’t look the other way for their friends, etc with body cam footage or they risk becoming the story if the stop information leaks.

In MA, there is no legal requirement that a chief carry a gun. I worked for one chief who refused to carry a gun ever since he was a Sgt (then Lt and then Chief). Within the department there were different rumors as to why, so I could never figure out why he did that.
Probably due to a shortage of dogs in the town. Jack.

I think the real story is she consented to the Sidewalk Olympics. Anyone not smart enough to refuse field sobriety test is not fit to be Chief.
"Under the advice of council I respectfully decline" - I thought that was the proper response when asked to walk a straight line or say the alphabet backwards

tenor.gif

Mere mortal citizens of MA get permits taken, have to surrender or otherwise remove all firearms, ammo from the home just for being charged.
If y'all think @wilson911's insight that she was too stupid to decline the Sidewalk Olympics
is outrageous, wait'll it transpires that she's just smart enough to hire one of the NES-approved
gun lawyers to try and keep the gun-grabbers at bay. [shocked]

Whenever a police officer locally has gotten a OUI there have been extenuating circumstances. A woman officer in my town was ultimately charged when she was falling down drunk and belligerent in a neighboring town. She resigned and charges were dropped.

There is some back story here.

She will waive he right to a jury trial and the case will be handed to a Judge who will find her not guilty of the charge....that's how it works,,,,every time.

No, that's not how it works at all. Lol you think a judge wants that on their neck? If she's actually important the DA will camp on it for awhile and then the whole thing gets dropped, ala Suzanne Magaziner, but I don't think shes that important.

No, that's not how it works at all. Lol you think a judge wants that on their neck? If she's actually important the DA will camp on it for awhile and then the whole thing gets dropped, ala Suzanne Magaziner, but I don't think shes that important.
I'm telling you that's exactly how it works. Watch it. Where the hell did you get the idea that Judges in this state give a rats azz what we think.

I'm telling you that's exactly how it works. Watch it. Where the hell did you get the idea that Judges in this state give a rats azz what we think.

My point is things are so greasy in this state it rarely even goes that far. But you're probably right, on some level, too.

Mere mortal citizens of MA get permits taken, have to surrender or otherwise remove all firearms, ammo from the home just for being charged.
Will she be fired? After all, carrying a firearm is a requirement in MA for police chiefs, isn't it?
In NH, full time police chiefs are required to be certified to carry as a LEO. [Police chief for the town I grew up in failed the cert test, was never authorized to carry while on duty. But he was part time, officially. But he harassed him "enemies" full time.]
Driving is a requirement for my job. Down here, 1st DUI requires an interlock put in. You can't drive any vehicle that doesn't have one.

You get a DUI in Louisiana, your LEO career is over. Then again, you pretty much have to talk your way into a DUI in my area.

Driving is a requirement for my job. Down here, 1st DUI requires an interlock put in. You can't drive any vehicle that doesn't have one.

You get a DUI in Louisiana, your LEO career is over. Then again, you pretty much have to talk your way into a DUI in my area.
Or buy your way out. Though Louisiana is not nearly as corrupt and NY and NJ. Though it goves them a run for the money.

Or buy your way out. Though Louisiana is not nearly as corrupt and NY and NJ. Though it goves them a run for the money.
Nah, drinking is simply part of the culture down here. If you get into an accident, it's pretty much over. But a simple DUI stop? Unless you try to compare wiener sizes with the cop, you'll probably be OK.

well she is on a temporary license, which turns into a pumpkin in 15 days right

So she needs to be in court today and take the CWOF, 45 day loss of license, drunk school, $$$ to the Brain Injury trust and wait it out til she can pay the $500 dollars to get her license reinstated.

She does not have to participate the sidewalk Olympics, but if she refused the breathalyzer.... assuming they offered her one because a whole bunch of DA's are not using them in court right now as there seems to be some issue with calibration and certified users or such.... she is not only not driving for 45 days, but another 180 for refusing the breathalyzer.

If I were her, on the far side of 60, I'd be putting my papers in and retiring, and I'm sure the town fathers will accept it "with regrets"

If she can "drive on the badge" for work, can they still bag her for driving after revocation if she does?

This may very well get swept under the rug for the arrest. But there is nothing like small town politics. There may be some in her town looking for a reason to push her out.

“The Town is taking the matter very seriously and is thoroughly examining the details of the case. Citizens can expect appropriate and swift action following our investigation,” Town Administrator Michael Lorenco told WBZ-TV in an email Monday

'Lyons has been placed on paid administrative leave effective immediately, Mattapoisett Town Administrator Michael Lorenco said in a statement Monday afternoon. Capt. Jason King will oversee the department until further notice.

'The trooper smelled alcohol and noticed that Lyons’ speech was slurred and that her eyes were bloodshot, according to the arrest report. He asked if she had anything to drink. She said no and that she was coming from a golf course, according to the report. The trooper asked her to get out of her car, and she said, “I won’t. I don’t actually feel I have to,” according to the report. She told the trooper that she was dodging other people trying to cut her off.

The trooper asked again that she get out of her car. She said, “and if I don’t?” according to the report. She told him that she was not challenging him but that she is the police chief of Mattapoisett.

When the trooper said he wanted to conduct some sobriety tests, she got out of the car, the report states. He observed her body swaying and smelled alcohol on her breath. He performed an observational test where he examined her eyes, but she said she could not finish the tests, according to the report. He tried to give her a preliminary breath test, but she refused to take it. After he explained the test to her several times, she agreed to take it but allegedly pretended to blow into the breath test device, the report said, only to pretend to blow into it.

The trooper concluded that Lyons was intoxicated and arrested her. She was brought to the state police barracks in Bourne, where he noticed that she had removed her handcuffs before she got out of the cruiser.

Lyons was booked, photographed and fingerprinted, and was read her rights, in which she confirmed that she refused to take the breath test, according to the arrest report.'

Update: Mattapoisett police chief pleads not guilty to OUI charge

Last edited:
The trooper concluded that Lyons was intoxicated and arrested her. She was brought to the state police barracks in Bourne, where he noticed that she had removed her handcuffs before she got out of the cruiser.
Cuffs loose as a "professional courtesy", plus fat, plus probably not very flexible.

"The trooper asked her to get out of her car, and she said, “I won’t. I don’t actually feel I have to"
I think this is when they normally smash the window and pull you out for norms

NESers should keep in mind that if brooming the case went south
(say, she re-offends with a vehicular homicide),
the citizens group throwing a conniption fit
won't be some powerless organization like GOAL.

Rather, the group raising a stink will be one
that nobody in the Mass Hackorama wants to hear from: MADD.

She does not have to participate the sidewalk Olympics, but if she refused the breathalyzer.... assuming they offered her one because a whole bunch of DA's are not using them in court right now as there seems to be some issue with calibration and certified users or such.... she is not only not driving for 45 days, but another 180 for refusing the breathalyzer.
Which.
Kind.
Of.
"Breathalyzer"?

Back
Top Bottom