Matching Old Interior Door Trim Molding

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey folks, was wondering if anyone knew of a carpenter or milling service (preferably in the North Shore area, but I'm not going to be picky) who either stocks old pattern door trim or may have the knife patterns to fabricate it. My home was built in 1929 to give an idea of era, and I'm doing some reno work and am going to be a door frame short for reusing the original interior door molding. Looking to see if I can locate someone who may either stock the style or has the ability to match it.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Call or go to Anderson McQuaid in Cambridge near Fresh Pond/Alewife they have a catalog with hundreds of molding, they will have a knife that matches your moldings and can run it in any wood you want. There is a cost to it though. It is a special run, so they charge a set up fee then charge per ft for the moldings. If you need 30 feet, the cost per foot is going to be very high. If you more to run, the set up fee is spread out. They have a lot of stock moldings, they may have it in their current inventory.

www.andersonmcquaid.com

Depending on the molding, for small runs things can be done using a number of router bits to complete the profile. There may be some people in your area with a William and Hussey machine, that would be the cheapest. http://www.williamsnhussey.com/ They might know some people in the area who they supply knives to.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks! I'll look for places that have a william and hussey machine nearby. (Sounds like Anderson McQuaid may not be the way to go, I need under 20 feet...but may investigate and see what the cost per foot is going to be or if they happen to have it stock)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some local cabinet shops or custom carpenters will have william and hussey or a similar machine to make their own moldings. Which ever way you go, it's not going to cost $2 per ft, it's going to be expensive relative to regular molding. Post a pic of what you need and it might give some of us an idea.

NHCraigT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
AM is the most likely, as others have stated.

You can also pry a sample section off and take it to some local millwork shops.....

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
View attachment 126002View attachment 126003

This is the style I'm trying to find... thanks again
AM has some that look like that. I believe home depot sells this tracer tool. Use i to get the contour of the molding and go to AM or email them. http://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-6-Inch-Contour-Duplication/dp/B00004T7RA

You might be able to return it after you use it, depends on the packaging.

I guarantee they have that molding in their knife collection but to costs for the custom run won't be worth it. I they don't stock that, can you steal some trim from inside a closet or an out of the way room then install a somewhat similar from AM there?

- - - Updated - - -

Try Horner Millwork in Southborough.
Horner is good but more of a stock place. AM has a lot of historical stuff. Think boston brownstnes.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have an older home, it would be advantageous to have some spare stock around, buy extra and you won't run out.

grey

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Jules a Gourdeau
94 Corning St
Beverly Ma
978 922 0102

Great place, closer and way cheaper than Anderson Mcqauid custom millwork.

Also, Moynihan Lumber in Beverly does custom millwork for a fair rate. John Jeffers (formerly Jeffers millwork in Salem)is set up there now in the custom millwork shop

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Awesome, thanks for all the suggestions. I've got some work to do now :) I'll follow up with how it goes.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 1/4" wide molding? It looks like a standard belly mold pattern from Brockway Smith. My local yard stocks it as should many others.

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you get a perfect match in the moulding, you may find it is not worth re-using the old stuff you remove.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
If you cant find it new there are places that tear down old houses that save this stuff and resell it. There used to be a place in Worcester called F&D. My brother bought a lot of old moldings and doors there for his 100+ year old house when he first got it.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Send me a PM. If I have it in my shop I'll give it to you. I have all kinds of stock. I'm on Northshore.
Blue anchor in Marblehead is the best around for custom millwork. Moynihan can do it, but I've had run problems in the past. Ymmv

Another_David

NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Molding can be so ridiculously expensive that I wonder if it's with buying a router with table and making it yourself in multiple passes.

See http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/m/how-to/intro/0,,20456859,00.html

Last time I encountered this I was short one window for the original trim and bought a HD trim that was of the same period stylistically but no where near matching. If arranged right the difference in trim from windows or doors can look really nice actually.

Yet after painting etc. no on but me ever noticed the one trim change! But I certainly appreciate your determination to do it right.

Last edited:

rudiewhitebwoy

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Looks like a Brosco B-100 or NE Millwork B-650 but it's hard to tell from the picture. I would need to see the profile, after you scrape off the 10 coats of paint. Kevin McQuaid or Jules Gordeau might have the knives made, if not, you'll have to pay a flat fee just to have the knifes made, then you would buy the stock separately. It would be cheaper to just replace it with stock stuff that looks close. As long as you're not in the same room as the old stuff, nobody will notice. At my work we stock the Clear B-650, I think we get $1.75 Ln. Ft. The Brosco B-100 is also available in Prime Finger Jointed, I don't know the cost, but PFJ is usually less than solid

B-650, third down from top left

B-100, look in the casing section, third from top, in the row on the right.

cbrxx

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
(Sounds like Anderson McQuaid may not be the way to go, I need under 20 feet...but may investigate and see what the cost per foot is going to be or if they happen to have it stock)
I looked at their PDF http://www.andersonmcquaid.com/Anderson_McQuaid_moulding_profile_sheets.pdf
If I understand, this is all stocked. Check page 7. I think one will probably match, hard to tell in your pictures.
It's $2.30/ft Well worth it if you are just doing one door. Even if not a perfect match, may be close enough to not notice.

I had an old house built in 1892, I owned for about 15 years and totally renovated. It had a similar profile but with two small beads on either side of the center, instead of the one.
Can't go into all the sins the previous trash that owned the place for many years did to it.
One was most of the trim was replaced with ranch casing, however at least they were too lazy to take it to the dump.
Between what was left intact, and in the attic, I was at least able to do the entire first floor, and all the trim that faced the hallway on 2nd floor.
For the interior of the bedrooms and bath, I just used 1x5 for the trim.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely the one. I've got a home from 1888 and it has the same moldings. I've also got it in a wider profile as well but the Anderson stuff will work just fine.

Rome

Top Bottom