Matches at independent done

did anyone else get the email from John saying all action matches at independent are cancelled?

I guess some new draconian club regulations went into effect.
That is too bad, they put on a great match. I didn't make it all that often, but I really had a great time when I did.

I got the email.

It is unfortunate that Independent Sportsmen's Club has elected to reward all of John hard work in this way. John ran some really outstanding matches. It was a great opportunity to shoot on a Saturday morning as well as a chance to hone skills due to the two run option. I am really, really disappointed that Independent has expressed such an unenlightened grasp of shooting sports and firearm safety. These are the kind of people who hold us back.

I'll have find somewhere else to shoot my occasional round of skeet.

I got the email.

It is unfortunate that Independent Sportsmen's Club has elected to reward all of John hard work in this way. John ran some really outstanding matches. It was a great opportunity to shoot on a Saturday morning as well as a chance to hone skills due to the two run option. I am really, really disappointed that Independent has expressed such an unenlightened grasp of shooting sports and firearm safety. These are the kind of people who hold us back.

I'll have find somewhere else to shoot my occasional round of skeet.

You're welcome to come down to HSA for that skeet time....and I need to get in touch with John and extend the same offer for USPSA; we're always looking for quality additions to the team and from my limited interaction with him he seems to be just that.

Yes, I spoke with Vinny at length the other day about the FUDDs driving practical pistol out of the club.

Surely "We have met the enemy, and they are us!"

Very sad.

My club they get scared if you take your jacket off. Had a fudd actually ask me if I was really carrying a couple years ago.

And not just the bullseye crowd. Had an IDPA match director state very sarcastically 'anyone that feels they have to load up after the match is over see a range officer'

No offense to my friends who are lawyers.....
But I bet there is one or more involved in this....or is it the fact that they are completely ignorant? I heard this at my former club....."running around with guns is dangerous" (paraphrase)

And not just the bullseye crowd. Had an IDPA match director state very sarcastically 'anyone that feels they have to load up after the match is over see a range officer'

I exchanged messages with a Steel Challenge RO who thought drawing from an IWB holster using concealment was "dangerous". I was unable to convince him otherwise.

Yet the shotgunners all point guns at each other and they even make a shoe protector to rest the muzzle of you shotgun on your foot. That's much safer.

This
You're welcome to come down to HSA for that skeet time....and I need to get in touch with John and extend the same offer for USPSA; we're always looking for quality additions to the team and from my limited interaction with him he seems to be just that.

I'm glad I didn't join Independent sportsman's club

I retired from my position as a USPSA Area director, however, one of the footprints I managed to leave was this item in the rulebook:

2.5.1 If it is possible that some competitors arriving at a range where a USPSA match is being held may be in possession of a loaded firearm on their person (e.g. law enforcement officers, persons duly authorized to carry a loaded firearm, etc.), match rganizers should provide an Unloading/Loading Station to enable such competitors to safely unload their firearms prior to entering the range, and to safely load their firearms again on departure from the range. The Unloading/Loading Station should be conveniently located outside the entrance to the range (or outside the portion of the range allocated to the USPSA match), it should be clearly sign-marked and it must include a suitable impact zone.

2.5.2 Where no Unloading/Loading station is provided, a competitor who arrives at a match in possession of a loaded firearm and proceeds immediately to a match official for the express purpose of safely unloading the firearm shall not be subject to disqualification per the provisions of Rule 10.5.13

I was rather annoyed by an article in the USPSA magazine "Front Sight" many years ago that stated that there were some places, such as post offices and to/from/at USPSA matches, where carrying guns was not appropriate. I felt that as a shooting organization, we should be doing nothing to endorse the concept that carrying a defensive sidearm is "irresponsible".

That comment from an IDPA match director is ironic considering that IDPA has always held itself out to be "more tactical and street wise" that USPSA (images of dead USPSA competitors being stacked up like cordwood comes to mind)

Last edited:
I was going to join Independent but now I won't. It really makes me appreciative of how awesome the leadership at Hopkinton is.

I found out about two days ago, from their web-site, that the Action Shoots are "permanently discontinued". Sent e-mail to Vinny, got the news.

I wish the club management would provide at least a warning. I guess, we did not deserve that. OK.

I feel bad for Vinny, John and other guys over there, they put a lot of effort and energy into the events. I feel bad that I advertised the club to some of the people.

I guess, I will be discontinuing my affiliation with the club and need to find another place to practice. Unfortunately, there are not many clubs around this area (South East) that are USPSA friendly.

You can practice at Mansfield F&G, our rules allow for shooting on the move/from holster/etc. as long as you maintain range safety.

I visited Independent once when I first became an Instructor. I found the 5-stage intriguing but have never been back to try it. The outdoor pistol/rifle ranges were not impressive.

I found the place strange wrt what I was told by a very nice gentleman who explained the shotgun fields, etc.

- Members aren't allowed access to the clubhouse building. Thus, one must use the PortaPotties on the grounds instead of a real bathroom.
- Instructors aren't allowed to teach there. Those small shotgun warming houses would be ideal for small classes when not otherwise in use . . . a wasted resource.

It's too bad, it looks like a facility that could have had a lot of potential.

I retired from my position as a USPSA Area director, however, one of the footprints I managed to leave was this item in the rulebook:

Rob, I tried to promote a similar rule for IDPA, and pointed to that rule in the USPSA rule book. It was not well received. [rolleyes]

Since IDPA has just reopened their rule book for comment, I just submitted a proposal largely cribbed from your work. I expect it will be appropriately filed by IDPA HQ staff, right next to my previous suggestions concerning flat-footed reloads.

Last edited:
You can practice at Mansfield F&G, our rules allow for shooting on the move/from holster/etc. as long as you maintain range safety.

I visited Independent once when I first became an Instructor. I found the 5-stage intriguing but have never been back to try it. The outdoor pistol/rifle ranges were not impressive.

I found the place strange wrt what I was told by a very nice gentleman who explained the shotgun fields, etc.

- Members aren't allowed access to the clubhouse building. Thus, one must use the PortaPotties on the grounds instead of a real bathroom.
- Instructors aren't allowed to teach there. Those small shotgun warming houses would be ideal for small classes when not otherwise in use . . . a wasted resource.

It's too bad, it looks like a facility that could have had a lot of potential.

Yeah, the clubhouse rule is strange.

As to training. I believe there is a limited group of people that conducts all the training at ISC, including the club introductions.

Mansfield does looks good, actually, thanks.

That is good to know. What do they have for outdoor pistol ranges/bays?

One 100 yard range, one 50 yard range. Both with covered, 3-wall concrete pad shooting area. I am currently a member there. If you want to know more you know where to find me

Has Mansfield resolved their leadership issues?

What leadership issues?

Seriously I don't know what you are referring to. Scouter_Rick is president (re-elected this month) for the next 2 years. He does an excellent job.

The rebuilding of the clubhouse is another issue and a thorn in the side of many of us.

But the ranges! 7 yd training range; 50 yd range where you can bring targets in to any distance, shoot steel, do anything as long as you are safe; 100 yd range for hunting pistols and rifles. With MA MG License you can get clearance to shoot mgs/FA whenever you want (one time demo that you are safe with a mg).

Are there a lot of sportmen's clubs run by people who are afraid of gun? Seems odd to me.....[thinking]

There is a metric crap-ton of unusable/near-worthless fudd clubs in MA and even a few in NH. Thankfully there are also a ton of clubs who either don't care or go in the opposite direction (Harvard, HSA, etc. )

-Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Are you thinking of Ames?

A member @ Ames that I smoke cigars with on occasion has told me it's still a horror show down there. He said there was some fiasco the other day where a bunch of peoples cards got deactivated and people couldn't get into the facility, etc.

-Mike

Why does everyone keep saying HSA is such a great club. Im a member and boy are they over the top with safety, you get emails every three days about safety or someone doing something wrong. And i can only shoot sundays, and they have organized shoots 2-3 sundays a month. So a paid member cant go shoot until 3pm (which is family time). I havnt been able to shoot in over a month due to all thier BS events!

Are you thinking of Ames?

Maybe.

I remember some club where it was alleged that there had been a number of abuses. I don't remember the details of the abuses, but something like not holding elections as required and people who questioned the powers that be got tossed. Of course, I may be misremembering what I read and I have no direct knowledge.

Why does everyone keep saying HSA is such a great club. Im a member and boy are they over the top with safety, you get emails every three days about safety or someone doing something wrong. And i can only shoot sundays, and they have organized shoots 2-3 sundays a month. So a paid member cant go shoot until 3pm (which is family time). I havnt been able to shoot in over a month due to all thier BS events!

I really hope you're not the guy who used the Bianchi barricade as a target stand

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom