• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Match Shot Firearms in Gardner, MA

Anyone know anything about, or personally dealt with Match Shot Firearms in Gardner, MA?

I'm considering buying from them, but wanted some feedback first.

Thanks!

I have seen them at one or two shows at the Big E in West Springfield. They seemed nice enough when I spoke to them. Prices "seemed" on a par with other dealers. Other than that I can't add any more.

I did a trade at the Big E show with them about three years back. I offered a fair trade, and the owner accepted, no haggling at all. He and all of his employees I talked with that day were very good to deal with.

Never been to their store, too long of a drive for me.

40 E. Broadway, S. Gardner. Telephone is 632-6499. Please let us know what you think of them.

FPrice said:
Please let us know what you think of them.

I stopped in yesterday and they were very helpful with info about local clubs and shooting activities. I can't really comment on selection/price because I don't have any real comparison.

He encouraged me to come back after getting my LTC and they would spend time with me getting set up. I think this was genuine wanting to help, not just get the business. I like that.

Matt

I Purchased (2) S&W 642, very good people to deal with. The building is deceiving, it is a small space in an old bldg. I am very happy with the pricing and customer service.

Last edited:
I actually live only a few miles from them and I actually shoot with a few of the guys from there. They are very pleasant and helpful. They even have a gunsmith if you ever need any work done on your guns. They are all shooters there unlike some other shops. They participate in many local matches most of which are bowling pins and are really good shooters as well. Their prices are competitive as well.

Pete

Matt,

I actually shoot in Harvard and also Mass Rifle in Woburn. I moved to Templeton last year and haven't joined anything out this way. I'll prob. join in Ashburnham so I can just bring some steel targets and shoot away. Where do you shoot?

Pete

I was in the shop last Saturday picking up a gun I bought on Going Broker. The staff were friendly and knowledgeable. The gun was just as described. Prices were decent. They had a good selection of long arms and a couple cases of handguns.

The shop's obviously a local hangout. I got there just as they opened and there was already one regular there. I was there for 15 minutes and another half dozen arrived. Overall, all pretty good shop.

I've dealt with the guys at Match Shot on numerous occasions, good
shop. Every now and then they have some "rares" in terms of
used handguns, I've gotten a few there.

-Mike

Purchased from them at Marlboro. Very friendly, knowledgable, firearms enthusiasts and shooters who know what they are talking about. Got a pretty competitive price on my SW1911 and all in all a very good group.

great guys!

I have shot pins with some of these guys and stop by the shop when I get a chance. The prices are good and they are quite knowledgeable and friendly. There is a guy Lloyd who works there who knows his stuff and is a great shooter. I sometimes bring my daughter in there and they are cool with having her there. Their gunsmith is very good and has a ton of knowledge.
All said and done I would rate them as one of the better ones I have been to in MA.
definitely check them out.

I like these guys... now. I bought a Luger from them in Marlboro (nice gun at a great price). However, the first time I went in their shop they gave me a bit of an attitude. I'd had a number of emails back and forth with them regarding a pistol they had up on Gun Broker. We struck a deal, and I arranged to go by the shop at a particular date and time to check it out.

I went to the shop and this one guy annoyed me to the point where I wanted to walk out. I didn't because I really wanted the gun. After politely indicating that I didn't appreciate being treated like an a**h*** - especially when I had a bundle of cash ready to plunk down on a gun - he was somewhat apologetic and turned out to be a pretty decent guy.

They have a nice selection and some good prices on used guns. The place looks like my basement before spring cleaning though.

Last edited:
I've been into Match Shot several times. They have been very helpful with information and showing me what they have in stock that might be interest to me. You won't get in and out real quick, particularly if Lloyd is the one you talk to, but you will leave knowing more than when you went in.

I've been into Match Shot several times. They have been very helpful with information and showing me what they have in stock that might be interest to me. You won't get in and out real quick, particularly if Lloyd is the one you talk to, but you will leave knowing more than when you went in.

I never get out without a lecture on some topic!!

Loyd and Charlie are great guys. If loyd starts busting you chops just bust right back. Great shop for the area. Bought a p220,92fs, and AR and a 2 AR lowers there always great to go in aslong as ya got time to shoot the sh1t. Next closest shops are in ayer and belchertown so not driving far is a plus in itself.

I was at the Big E last year or the year before and got lectured by Loyd (if he is the lounger guy you are talking about) so bad that I was hoping someone would pull the fire alarm so I could get away.....[smile]
He is definetly a chatty cathy.
I love their shop, there is something behind every nook and cobweb.
It is worth checking out if you are cruising on rt2 or in the area.

I bought an NHM 90 from Bob Maki at Match Shot back when they first opened. The store was located next door to Mc Donalds in Gardner then. I haven't been back since (because I live 80 miles away) but I was always impressed with the prices, selection, and sincerity when I was in there. I'll also add that back then, I was a broke youngin' without a pot to piss in, and Bob was nice enough to let me pay $25 a week for that gun. I still have it too.

I have never been in the shop, but I do know Lloyd from the pins shoots out that way. All I can say about Lloyd is that he is the "sportingest" shooter I've ever shot against. He never tries to get an edge on you for the sole purpose of winning. If I choose to shoot a DA revolver, he picks his DA gun and puts down the red-dot unlimited 1911. When I shoot the single-action revolver, he also picks a revolver to make it more even. He's a very good shooter who doesn't always feel the need to beat someone. He likes to laugh. He's fun to shoot with.

John

I was at the Big E last year or the year before and got lectured by Loyd (if he is the lounger guy you are talking about) so bad that I was hoping someone would pull the fire alarm so I could get away.....[smile]
He is definetly a chatty cathy.

[rofl]

So true.

Match Shot

I have bought a couple of pistols from them.............Great guys, good prices

Highly recommend them.

While I haven't bought any guns there, I have bought a hunting vest and some other small things. The guy that seems to be in charge (forget his name), was (or at least seemed to be), quite hostile twards me. I was browsing for something I may want for the then-approching hunting season. He made me feal that I was, for some reason, unwelcome. I've never been one to run away because someone doesn't like me, so I stuck around and got into a conversation with Loyd (the "large" one who sits outside the shop on good days, right?). He did do a lot of the talking, but seeing as I was looking for answers, I don't mind that he explained everything. He was the only reason I ever went back, the guy in charge really treated me like sh*t. Perhaps it is because I am a young guy with long hair and was wearing a hooded jacket at the time, but I would hope a business owner could get over looks and not treat someone like crap because of their appieriance.
My most recent visit was a little better. I stopped in to drop off some Appleseed flyers. There were a lot of regulars there, so I just wandered a bit and waited for the other people to finnish. After about 10 minutes (I don't mind waiting, and didn't want to make a nuisance of myself, seeing as how my last visits did not seem to be welcome), The guy in charge asked me if he could help me (note that his tone wasn't all that friendly). I asked him if it would be alright if I left the flyers. He asked what they were, and I gave him a brief explanation of the Appleseed Program. After that his treatment of me changed drasticly. He was much more friendly, perhaps due to seeing that I wasn't just there to dick around. He said that I could leave the flyers on the counter, and appologized for the long wait.
After that visit, I think I will return.

While I haven't bought any guns there, I have bought a hunting vest and some other small things. The guy that seems to be in charge (forget his name), was (or at least seemed to be), quite hostile twards me. I was browsing for something I may want for the then-approching hunting season. He made me feal that I was, for some reason, unwelcome. I've never been one to run away because someone doesn't like me, so I stuck around and got into a conversation with Loyd (the "large" one who sits outside the shop on good days, right?). He did do a lot of the talking, but seeing as I was looking for answers, I don't mind that he explained everything. He was the only reason I ever went back, the guy in charge really treated me like sh*t. Perhaps it is because I am a young guy with long hair and was wearing a hooded jacket at the time, but I would hope a business owner could get over looks and not treat someone like crap because of their appieriance.
My most recent visit was a little better. I stopped in to drop off some Appleseed flyers. There were a lot of regulars there, so I just wandered a bit and waited for the other people to finnish. After about 10 minutes (I don't mind waiting, and didn't want to make a nuisance of myself, seeing as how my last visits did not seem to be welcome), The guy in charge asked me if he could help me (note that his tone wasn't all that friendly). I asked him if it would be alright if I left the flyers. He asked what they were, and I gave him a brief explanation of the Appleseed Program. After that his treatment of me changed drasticly. He was much more friendly, perhaps due to seeing that I wasn't just there to dick around. He said that I could leave the flyers on the counter, and appologized for the long wait.
After that visit, I think I will return.

Lloyd has brown hair and one of his arms has a sleeve tattoo. Most of the staff sit outside on nice days, but Lloyd's the guy with the cane. You probably talked to Charlie initially, he's the main man there, in his 50's with a crewcut. He just seems grumpy, it's the way he is, but if you're one of the regular's he'll take care of you.

I'm a young guy, and I went in there with a lot of questions when I first got into guns. They answered all of them, some better than others, but they are a good crowd of people who put up with all my pestering. [grin]

Back
Top Bottom