MasterLock trigger locks...Best place to get a dozen or so? (keyed alike)

GlockJock

NES Member
Seems the consensus is MasterLock are the best quality, ease of operation etc....(yea/nay? I have about five different brands, want to go with just one brand keyed alike)....Seems like prices, however, are "all over the board" for a set of them...I want all to be keyed alike, need about a dozen....Anyone know best place(s) online or other? (other than eBay and Amazon)

i've never found any difference between the Master or the others which all seem to be made by the same company . ask Collectors Gallery , they have every gun in their store locked up using one key .

yup every gun in the store after the AG's threat !

I contacted a manufacturer I preferred, Unilock I believe and simply requested a number of like keyed locks. No problem

Easier to get the combination ones - you can add more at any time and set them to the same combo.
Legal in MA? ... somewhere in the vast expanse of quicksand know as MA gun laws, I thought I'd once seen/heard something about combination locks not being legal?..cuz a ten year old might know the combination, etc etc...Am I (hopefully) wrong? You know how effed up this state is... [frown]

There is nothing in MGL that prohibits combination locks, or even specifies the lock type.

Bosnian Bill (in the linked Youtube) is a Chuck Norris of lock picking. Unless his videos are faked, he can pick Medecos.

Legal in MA? ... somewhere in the vast expanse of quicksand know as MA gun laws, I thought I'd once seen/heard something about combination locks not being legal?..cuz a ten year old might know the combination, etc etc...Am I (hopefully) wrong? You know how effed up this state is... [frown]

Useless and laughable (hasn't been updated in 9 years), but combo locks that have been approved by the Colonel of the Department of State Police [rofl]

are on the list (including Master Lock).

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/firearms-reg-and-laws/firearm-safety-locking-devices.html

combo locks are highly recommended. I hunted with a guy in the Berkshires ( 2.5 hrs away) who left his key at home. 30 seconds and a cordless drill and it was toast, but still it couldve been really inconvenient [rofl]

You are wrong. Combination locks are legal in MA, and you never have to worry about losing a key.

Note, however, that while combination locks are suitable for storing a gun in MA, they do not meet the requirements for transporting a gun in MA. When transporting an unloaded handgun outside of your control or transporting a large capacity long gun, it must be in a locked trunk, locked case, or other secure container.

If you don't believe me, read MGL Chapter 140 Section 131C:
https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131c

You are wrong. Combination locks are legal in MA, and you never have to worry about losing a key.

Note, however, that while combination locks are suitable for storing a gun in MA, they do not meet the requirements for transporting a gun in MA. When transporting an unloaded handgun outside of your control or transporting a large capacity long gun, it must be in a locked trunk, locked case, or other secure container.

If you don't believe me, read MGL Chapter 140 Section 131C:
https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131c

Always got a chuckle from that law. I can carry a pistol on my belt with loaded spare mags yet I have to keep the all too evil extra killy black gun locked in a case. Not to mention the lock can be some cheap ass POS.

Always got a chuckle from that law. I can carry a pistol on my belt with loaded spare mags yet I have to keep the all too evil extra killy black gun locked in a case. Not to mention the lock can be some cheap ass POS.

I agree that the law doesn't make a lick of sense.

I'm slowly replacing my keyed locks with combination locks. One too many times made it to the range with the wrong key or no key (twice in a lifetime, but that's too many times).

Seems the consensus is MasterLock are the best quality, ease of operation etc....(yea/nay? I have about five different brands, want to go with just one brand keyed alike)....Seems like prices, however, are "all over the board" for a set of them...I want all to be keyed alike, need about a dozen....Anyone know best place(s) online or other? (other than eBay and Amazon)

Masterlocks.com, it is Hodge Products. You can order them all keyed alike. I have several dozen, all use the same key. Best way to go IMO.

Bob

I can get them for about $11 Each + shipping (flat rate so it would be divided by the number of units) I'd be willing to do a group buy if I could get 30+ units sold. But you'd have to pick them up from me. Just a thought...

When not on my person i use cases with combo locks. I always keep 2 on each case.
I do this because one time a case slid in the bed of my truck breaking the lock. When i got the the range i discovered it and then had no lock for the return trip.
I ended up smashing the lock in a locked position, then bashed it off again once home.
So i use 2 and keep spares around...they get messed up from time to time.. the whole thing is just a hastle.

Who cares about "best"? You aren't buying security with these locks, only accordance with statute. I've never gotten locks that didn't work as advertised.
Well, having bought cheap sh*t that was, well, "cheap sh*t" in the past, I always prefer to ask other people about their experiences with literally anything I buy...
Living in one of the most aggravating "bang your effin head against the wall" states in the nation, the last thing I need is more aggravation trying to remove cheap sh*t malfunctioning "compliant" locks from my guns when I need the effin things "unlocked" (something they shouldn't even have to be to begin with, but that debate will just lead me to another headache from my skull hitting cement repeatedly...!!

It depends on your goal. Trigger locks are a cheap way to comply with the MA safe storage law if you do not need security.

Yup, this. No, they don't give you security. No, they are not suitable for transport in MA. But they do comply with the MA storage statute and they are cheap.

Yup, this. No, they don't give you security. No, they are not suitable for transport in MA. But they do comply with the MA storage statute and they are cheap.
Although not suitable for transport (though a loced trunk is per EOPS), one advantage of a trigger lock is that any theft report will read "subject reported a trigger lock stolen. Colt 1911 s/n xyz was attached to said lock."

IMO you are much better off with a safe, even a cheap safe, instead of trigger locks. I know someone that was robbed. His wife had stepped out to run an errand and was back in about 30 minutes. In that time all of their electronics and his guns were taken. They were stored with trigger locks in a closet.

Even a cheap safe would have slowed them down some. Maybe it would have made a difference, maybe not.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom