Master Sgt. Andrew Christian Marckesano six tour Afghanistan Veteran dies by his own hand: RIP Ranger

I think I'm going to to be ill

The enemy could never break him, but what decorated Green Beret eventually found was that his enemy was within. Friends who served with him in the military say he was the real “Captain America.”

Master Sgt. Andrew Christian Marckesano served six full tours in Afghanistan with the 82nd Airborne and the Ranger regiment and a half dozen more combat tours overseas. He rose to become a decorated Green Beret and a Silver Star recipient. He had just moved to Washington DC to start a coveted job at the Pentagon.

Two days after the Fourth of July on Monday night, after having dinner with his former battalion leader, Marckesano returned home from dinner in Old Town Alexandria , and died by suicide in front of his wife. He had three small children and was still on active duty.

In front of his wife? Lordy.
I’m heartbroken the experience of war could drive a man to this. Civilian here, but I imagine this is why, “A warrior’s highest ideal is to lay down the sword.”

I think I'm going to to be ill

The enemy could never break him, but what decorated Green Beret eventually found was that his enemy was within. Friends who served with him in the military say he was the real “Captain America.”

Master Sgt. Andrew Christian Marckesano served six full tours in Afghanistan with the 82nd Airborne and the Ranger regiment and a half dozen more combat tours overseas. He rose to become a decorated Green Beret and a Silver Star recipient. He had just moved to Washington DC to start a coveted job at the Pentagon.

Two days after the Fourth of July on Monday night, after having dinner with his former battalion leader, Marckesano returned home from dinner in Old Town Alexandria , and died by suicide in front of his wife. He had three small children and was still on active duty.
RIP

Along the lines of this thread, I was informed last week one of our multi-tour gunship gunners took his own life when the VA shut off his pain meds. He had been badly injured in a shoot-down & crash and had been on these meds for crippling pain since 1969. Why they took them away after 50 years is beyond my comprehension

RIP Joe, I miss you

Last edited:
Mental and emotional wounds are harder to diagnose and treat, but no less debilitating to the person.
RIP Ranger.

Two of my Marine buddies who suffered emotional and mental breakdowns.
One is dead, the other is still on the run.
Travis Twiggs
David French

This gives the term "the ultimate sacrifice" a new meaning. RIP Master Sargent Marckesano.

Back
Top Bottom