• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MassWildlife is holding a public hearing on June 22, 2022 on regulations related to the hunting of pheasant, quail, and small game.

RDG

New proposed changes including a late pheasant season. Lets all try and get the season extended till the end of Feb like CT does instead of the end of Dec as proposed. Just a quick 5 minute email to [email protected] and get your voice heard. If we can be out there with our dogs chasing cottontails during Jan and Feb, why now allow us to harvest any pheasant we may flush.

All good ideas that should have been implemented years ago.

While good for bird hunters, as usual they don't touch what most people want and that's crossbows and sunday hunting.

Although, there usually aren't that many pheasant left after the season. The fishers, coyotes, hawks and owls usually have eaten them all by then. I enjoy running the dog anyway, might as well be able to to take the gun with me. If Im still here that is.

Still haven't even bought my license yet.......was thinking of just hunting private for birds this year and out of state for deer, and not buying it. This really doesn't change much for me because I don't hunt the late season here anyway....the weather is usually ass. If it isn't then i just go to Addieville and its guaranteed good shooting there.

I always thought it was strange that there was a season for gray squirrels but it is always open season on red squirrels.

Once of the biggest issues for me is Sunday hunting.
F&G just points to the legislature and says it has to get done there. Which may be true but what are they doing to push the issue...?
There are amendments to allow hunting on Sundays for Archery in the state budget. Write to encourage your senator to support that amendment as well as crossbow hunting. Current amendments 16 and 18 to the budget.

There are amendments to allow hunting on Sundays for Archery in the state budget. Write to encourage your senator to support that amendment as well as crossbow hunting. Current amendments 16 and 18 to the budget.

Bow hunting is a start but…
The guy who works Monday-Friday and can only hunt pheasants and deer on a limited number of Saturday’s. NY, NH, CT, PA….all have Sunday hunting.

Last edited:
Once of the biggest issues for me is Sunday hunting.
F&G just points to the legislature and says it has to get done there. Which may be true but what are they doing to push the issue...?
Because they don't want Sunday hunting. They would have to put more epo in the field on Sundays.

Bow hunting is a start but…
The guy who works Monday-Friday and can only hunt pheasants and deer on a limited number of Saturday’s. NY, NH, CT, PA….
This is why I Pay for a non resident nh license and hunt there. Didn't hunt a single day in mass last season.

All good ideas that should have been implemented years ago.

While good for bird hunters, as usual they don't touch what most people want and that's crossbows and sunday hunting.

Although, there usually aren't that many pheasant left after the season. The fishers, coyotes, hawks and owls usually have eaten them all by then. I enjoy running the dog anyway, might as well be able to to take the gun with me. If Im still here that is.

Still haven't even bought my license yet.......was thinking of just hunting private for birds this year and out of state for deer, and not buying it. This really doesn't change much for me because I don't hunt the late season here anyway....the weather is usually ass. If it isn't then i just go to Addieville and its guaranteed good shooting there.
I did flush a pheasant in January a few years back while pushing a power line for rabbit. Had to let it fly......it is stupid.

Because they don't want Sunday hunting. They would have to put more epo in the field on Sundays.
That for sure......but I think its a lot of the weenies complaining about wanting "their" day in the woods without worrying about us dangerous hunters.
Christ, I've heard it from mtn bikers and dog walkers on this website even.

Of course the aholes get 9 months in the woods anyway....so there's that....

In MA..........The absolute most we'd ever get is bowhunting on private land......and that's if the stars aligned.......

We will never get gun use on Sunday for anything, and never get to hunt on Sunday on state land or WMA, with a bow, rifle, shotgun or bb gun.
Even though that's what the Fxck we pay PR fees and hunting lisc fees for.

Last edited:
This is why I Pay for a non resident nh license and hunt there. Didn't hunt a single day in mass last season.
Most serious hunters end up doing other states. For me it wasn't the Sunday thing...it was the better hunting in the majority of other states or longer bow seasons, like CT, and NH, which start in mid Sept. Sundays are just a bonus.

When you fill 2 doe tags in September for meat, and the freezer is full......you can then really focus on locating and taking some nice bucks during the rut when they are most likely walking around.

Did a quick Google search of Sunday hunting in Massachusetts. I'm sure it goes back further, but I found articles going back to 2007 stating that it was being taken up in the legislature.

That for sure......but I think its a lot of the weenies complaining about wanting "their" day in the woods without worrying about us dangerous hunters.
Christ, I've heard it from mtn bikers and dog walkers on this website even.

Of course the aholes get 9 months in the woods anyway....so there's that....

In MA..........The absolute most we'd ever get is bowhunting on private land......and that's if the stars aligned.......

We will never get gun use on Sunday for anything, and never get to hunt on Sunday on state land or WMA, with a bow, rifle, shotgun or bb gun.
Even though that's what the Fxck we pay PR fees and hunting lisc fees for.
9 months of ticks and weeds and poison ivy though.

I've been hunting in MA for 30 years and I've never seen an EPO in the field.
I think they do a lot more field work to catch people illegally fishing. The number of fishing licenses is much higher than hunting and that's what I've heard from people who fish.

Back
Top Bottom