• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MASS's attempt at Ghost Gun Legislation.

in this latest batch of crap from the state, these bills stuck out as an attempt to close the "ghost gun loophole"
I guess this stuff could pass, "due to ghost gun" fearmongering but good luck enforcing any of it.

I figure this will drive even more people underground, and further reduce fa-10 compliance. They should probably outlaw welding and machine shops while they're at it.

H.2096 -Bans so called "ghost guns", restricts unfinished receivers, regulates unfinished guns, requires manufacturer’s license for certain gun parts.

S.1361 -Bans so called "ghost guns"

H.3843 -Bans so called "ghost guns"–requires state approval to make a gun

all 3 of these bills have identical, or nearly identical language, and aim to restrict 3d printing, require a S/N, (one from the state, it looks like) and to restrict the manufacture of poly firearms (unless they're embedded with 3.7 oz of stainless steel.)

(a) No individual shall complete the manufacture or assembly of a weapon without: (1) obtaining a unique serial number or other mark of identification from the commissioner of the department of criminal justice information services pursuant to Section 123 of Chapter 140; and (2) engraving upon or permanently affixing to the firearm such serial number or other mark in a manner that conforms with the requirements imposed on licensed importers and licensed manufacturers of firearms pursuant to 18 USC 923(i), as amended from time to time, and any regulation adopted thereunder within.

(b) No person shall use a three-dimensional printer to manufacture any firearm, or any part or component that is intended to be used to assemble or manufacture a functioning firearm, unless such person possesses a federal license to manufacture firearms and operates in compliance pursuant to 18 USC 923(i), as amended from time to time, and any regulation adopted thereunder within.

(c) No individual shall complete the manufacture or assembly of any firearm from polymer plastic, unless such plastic is embedded with three point seven ounces of material type 17-4 PH stainless steel and such firearm is engraved or otherwise marked with a unique serial number or other mark of identification.

(d) Not later than thirty days after an individual completes manufacturing or assembling a firearm pursuant to this section, such individual shall notify the commissioner of the department of criminal justice information services and provide any identifying information concerning the firearm and the owner of such firearm pursuant to Section 128B of Chapter 140.

(e) The provisions of this section shall not apply to: (1) manufacture or assembly of firearms by a federally licensed firearm manufacturer; or (2) delivery or transfer of a firearm to a law enforcement agency

... aim to restrict 3d printing, require a S/N, (one from the state, it looks like) and to restrict the manufacture of poly firearms (unless they're embedded with 3.7 oz of stainless steel.)

It's already illegal (for the past 30 years, anyway) to manufacture a poly firearm without an embedded 3.7 oz piece of steel. Is the idea to make it even more illegal?

It's already illegal (for the past 30 years, anyway) to manufacture a poly firearm without an embedded 3.7 oz piece of steel. Is the idea to make it even more illegal?

No, it needs to be more illegaler, not just more illegal.

By the way, where does this 3.7 ounce thing come from? I thought people who 3D printed guns only needed to embed a small strip of metal in it. Is this some MA thing? 3.7 is a lot.

No, it needs to be more illegaler, not just more illegal.

By the way, where does this 3.7 ounce thing come from? I thought people who 3D printed guns only needed to embed a small strip of metal in it. Is this some MA thing? 3.7 is a lot.

Feral law.

The United States Undetectable Firearms Act of 1988 (18 U.S.C. § 922(p)) makes it illegal to manufacture, import, sell, ship, deliver, possess, transfer, or receive any firearm that is not as detectable by walk-through metal detection as a security exemplar containing 3.7 oz (105 g) of steel, or etc. ...

Undetectable Firearms Act - Wikipedia

Now I want an Exemplar!

Damn you, Prepper!

I think they should pass another law that says if you shoot someone with the intent of killing them, you should go to jail. Maybe another that says that you really really really really can't take other people's stuff. I mean, if we are writing laws that are already laws, what's the point????

Feral law.

The United States Undetectable Firearms Act of 1988 (18 U.S.C. § 922(p)) makes it illegal to manufacture, import, sell, ship, deliver, possess, transfer, or receive any firearm that is not as detectable by walk-through metal detection as a security exemplar containing 3.7 oz (105 g) of steel, or etc. ...

Undetectable Firearms Act - Wikipedia

Now I want an Exemplar!

Damn you, Prepper!

Weird. I have seen up close a Liberator gun and it most definitely didn't contain anything more than a strip of metal. It was at Liberty Forum a few years back when Cody Wilson gave a talk. Another guy there who I forget the name of was carrying it around holstered but with no ammo or nail (firing pin) in it.

No, it has to be stainless steel! Because f*** you, that's why!

If it's just carbon steel, or worse "Rot" iron (giggle), you could just put it in a bucket of salt water and dissolve it. Now you've got your genuine Glock 7 and it doesn't cost more than you make in a month.

No, it has to be stainless steel! Because f*** you, that's why!

On this, you're wrong. Unsure if it's because they effed up or were actually trying to solve the (imaginary) problem.

The firearm must be as DETECTABLE as if it had such a mass in it. You could blend barium sulfate in the plastic and comply with the law.

Weird. I have seen up close a Liberator gun and it most definitely didn't contain anything more than a strip of metal. It was at Liberty Forum a few years back when Cody Wilson gave a talk. Another guy there who I forget the name of was carrying it around holstered but with no ammo or nail (firing pin) in it.

Possibly the gun wasn't compliant. In the Liberator, the slug is installed in the little cubical space just ahead of the trigger. The cavity is meant to have a cover glued on, so it may have been installed and just not obvious. Or they just didn't care [laugh]

Possibly the gun wasn't compliant. In the Liberator, the slug is installed in the little cubical space just ahead of the trigger. The cavity is meant to have a cover glued on, so it may have been installed and just not obvious. Or they just didn't care [laugh]

Oh, maybe it had that. Somehow it got described to me as just having a thin strip of metal, enough to set off a metal detector. I don't see why it would otherwise need to be a big block of metal. Those x-ray machines can see the general shape of a plastic gun even without any metal in them. And the ammo would be even more obvious.

Back
Top Bottom