• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Masslive article on GOAL's appeal of Healey's "copycat" weapon ban

DispositionMatrix

NES Member
http://www.masslive.com/politics/index.ssf/2017/01/mass_gun_owners_appeal_for_mor.html
Looking for information that could shed more light on her decision, GOAL filed an extensive public records request in August, and months later received a CD that included gun manuals from different manufacturers. Healey's office cited several legal exemptions in limiting the response, including ongoing litigation.

Jim Wallace, the head of GOAL, said his group is continuing to press for more information and plans to file an appeal with Massachusetts Secretary of State William Galvin this week. Galvin's office includes a public records division.

"The response that we got has caused more questions than we originally had, which I didn't think it was possible," Wallace said, charging Healey with being secretive.

I don't think that "secretive" covers the fact that POS made shit up, lied and abused her power. She is obligated to discolse that info.

She is the perfect example of why some people should never be given any kind of authority.
She's waited her whole life to be in a position to abuse the shit out of anyone she doesn't like or agree with.

I'm not sure how I feel about this article.

On the one hand, it's light on weasel words which is great by today's standards. On the other hand it doesn't have any quotes (from GOAL, their attorneys, or a legal expert) in response to her silly excuses/exemptions or an explanation of FOIA responsibilities (time frames, etc).

I guess it's a net negative, given that it takes her "ongoing investigation" excuse as gospel, but it could be worse.

She is the perfect example of why some people should never be given any kind of authority.
She's waited her whole life to be in a position to abuse the shit out of anyone she doesn't like or agree with.

I don't think that she waited, in fact I can bet that a lot of this behavior manifested early on but society doesn't scrutinize prosecutors or judges, and it should. Illary started her career in lying straight out of school and got fired for ethics violations. That was just preview. I bet if you dig enough, Maura is just another POS that started early in life.

She's definitely playing the Illary game. It will come back to bite her anyway because that information will either be released in the lawsuit if GOAL files one against her for not releasing the info and prevails or definitely through Discovery in the NSSF lawsuit where she will not be able to use the lame excuse of the info being part of the "deliberative process."

She's definitely playing the Illary game. It will come back to bite her anyway because that information will either be released in the lawsuit if GOAL files one against her for not releasing the info and prevails or definitely through Discovery in the NSSF lawsuit where she will not be able to use the lame excuse of the info being part of the "deliberative process."

and I think that her game is to delay it enough until she climbs to an even higher spot and no one can touch her there. Worked for Illary. I bet Moara will run for governor.

She can't lose on this. No matter what happens worst case she "took on the gun lobby".
Correct. The NRA and the "gun lobby" are worse than Nazi's according to clueless liberals. Guns and gun owners are what's wrong w/society, which equals white privilege and white supremacy to moonbats.

I don't think that she waited, in fact I can bet that a lot of this behavior manifested early on but society doesn't scrutinize prosecutors or judges, and it should. Illary started her career in lying straight out of school and got fired for ethics violations. That was just preview. I bet if you dig enough, Maura is just another POS that started early in life.

I won't argue that.
She probably been like that her whole life.
Now she gets payback for whatever perceived wrong the world has done to her on a large scale.

"[FONT=&quot]Healey's office has said owners of copycat weapons before the notice was issued in July are grandfathered."

I never saw this wording and I don't think she has this [/FONT]
authority[FONT=&quot] either. [/FONT]

"[FONT=&quot]Healey's office has said owners of copycat weapons before the notice was issued in July are grandfathered."

authority[FONT=&quot] either. [/FONT]

It's hard to come to any conclusion other than that she knows her interpretation is erroneous and unenforceable.

The part I think we need to be concerned about is that it is an ongoing investigation.
- What is being investigated?
- Is she trying to figure out how to make her decision legal or are we going to get royally boned in the near future?

"[FONT="]Healey's office has said owners of copycat weapons before the notice was issued in July are grandfathered."

I never saw this wording and I don't think she has this [/FONT][/COLOR][B][SIZE=4]authority[/SIZE][/B][COLOR=#333333][FONT="] either. [/FONT]

She didn't have any authority to re-write the AWB either!!!

"[FONT=&amp]Healey's office has said owners of copycat weapons before the notice was issued in July are grandfathered."

authority[FONT=&amp] either. [/FONT]
she has as much authority as she wants, she has yet to be challenged by anybody in .gov and with judges in your courts that side with liberals, this authority is legitimized.

Healey's reasoning found in Hilary emails.
Healey: Keep an eye out for me. Watch this 5hit I'm gonna pull on gun owners in MA. Appoint me your AG and I'll do the same thing nationally.
Hillary: Hell yes. Go for it. Obama said I only need a phone and a pen. So do you.

This ran in the T&G, though originated in the "state house news service" (whatever that is)...normally I wouldn't cut and paste in its entirety and would post a link, but you have to be a subscriber on the other end [rolleyes]

See how many key details you can "find" omitted...

[FONT=&amp]By Katie Lannan, State House News Service

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]BOSTON - The gun rights group that has spent months fighting Attorney General Maura Healey's enforcement actions around the state's assault weapons ban is now appealing her refusal to release certain public records.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
The Gun Owners Action League of Massachusetts announced Monday that it had filed an appeal with Secretary of State William Galvin's office over its request for records connected to Healey's July 2016 announcement that she would step up enforcement of the 1998 ban to crack down on copies or duplicates of prohibited guns.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The appeal letter, dated Friday, asks that Healey be directed to respond to GOAL's 10-part request, arguing that relevant documents "were not provided because the AG has both misconstrued GOAL's requests and have taken an inappropriately broad view of any potential exemptions to the Public Records Law."[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Attorneys for GOAL wrote to Healey's office on Aug. 16, requesting documents Healey consulted or relied on in issuing her enforcement notice.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
On Dec. 21, the group received a CD containing 1,048 pages of records, according to the appeal. Assistant Attorney General Lorraine Tarrow wrote in a letter to GOAL that other materials were withheld because they were covered under exemptions to the public records law that deal with ongoing investigations, the deliberative process or public safety matters.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]In announcing the crackdown last summer, Healey said although the 1998 law bans copies or duplicates of assault weapons, 10,000 "copycat" guns were sold in Massachusetts in 2015.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]GOAL has vigorously opposed the weapons crackdown, arguing that Healey overstepped her authority and acted to advance a political agenda.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The group's records request sought documents quantifying "incidents of violence or other violations of criminal law" involving assault weapons defined under law, "copies of the Colt AR-15 Assault Weapon," and "Norinco, Mitchell and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models) or replicas or duplicates."[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Additionally, GOAL requested communications involved in "deciding not to hold a public hearing" on the notice; documents Healey consulted in deciding which weapons were or were not included in her notice; and documents she uses to determine which weapons count as copies or duplicates.[/FONT]

Posted this comment to Enterprise News

"I've looked at the CD provided to GOAL (got my own copy from the AG). It is entirely made up of manufacturer's manuals. I find it hard to believe there wasn't even one document that could be released. As for this article's comments about names being included, anyone who has ever requested public information knows that peoples' names are commonly redacted and then the information is then provided. What happened to the AG's claims of transparency."

"I've looked at the CD provided to GOAL (got my own copy from the AG). It is entirely made up of manufacturer's manuals. I find it hard to believe there wasn't even one document that could be released. As for this article's comments about names being included, anyone who has ever requested public information knows that peoples' names are commonly redacted and then the information is then provided. What happened to the AG's claims of transparency."

Transparency from a Democrat.... that's rich!! [rofl]

There are no comments under this article -Gun group seeks more records from attorney general Did you comment on a different article?

Back
Top Bottom