Massad Ayoob Named President Of Second Amendment Foundation

mikeyp

NES Member
1601507992913.png

BELLEVUE, WA – -(AmmoLand.com)- Internationally-known firearms author and trainer Massad Ayoob has been named president of the Second Amendment Foundation, succeeding the late Joseph Tartaro.

“The election to president of SAF is one of the most cherished honors of my life,” Ayoob said. “I have been proud to serve for many years on SAF’s Board of Trustees and will do my best to continue my commitment to what I consider a civil right and indeed, a human right.
“I am humbled at the thought of replacing my long-time friend and mentor Joe Tartaro,” he continued, “and frankly doubt that anyone, myself included, can truly fill his shoes. I accepted the position only after being assured that it would be an interim appointment, and one of my primary goals is to find a dedicated 2A warrior with a longer life expectancy than my own to eventually serve in this position. In the meantime, I will support the goals of SAF, particularly to further strengthen our ties with the law enforcement community and to enhance the organization's policy of embracing diversity in the community of the ‘gun culture.’”
Ayoob brings a lifetime of experience to the position. He served 19 years as chair of the Firearms Committee of the American Society of Law Enforcement Trainers, and several years as a member of the Advisory Board of the International Law Enforcement Educators and Trainers Association. In addition to teaching for those groups, he has also taught for the International Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors and the International Homicide Investigators seminars.

The winner of the Outstanding American Handgunner of the Year Award in 1998, Mas has won several state and regional handgun shooting championships. He was the first person to earn the title of Five Gun Master in the International Defensive Pistol Association. He has been handgun editor of GUNS magazine and law enforcement columnist for AMERICAN HANDGUNNER since the 1970s, and has published thousands of articles in gun magazines, martial arts publications, and law enforcement journals. He is the author of some twenty books on firearms, self-defense, and related topics, including “In the Gravest Extreme” and “Deadly Force,” widely considered to be authoritative texts on the topic of the use of lethal force.

He has received judicial recognition as an expert witness for the courts in weapons and shooting cases since 1979, and served as a fully sworn and empowered, part time police officer for 43 years, mostly at supervisor rank. Ayoob founded the Lethal Force Institute in 1981 and served as its director until 2009, and now trains through the Massad Ayoob Group.

He has appeared on CLE-TV delivering continuing legal education for attorneys, through the American Law Institute and American Bar Association, and has been retained to train attorneys to handle deadly force cases through the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network. Ayoob served for two years as co-vice chair of the Forensic Evidence Committee of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. He also appeared in each episode of Personal Defense TV (Sportsman’s Channel).

“We are both proud and delighted that Mas Ayoob has assumed the SAF presidency,” said SAF founder and Executive Vice President Alan M. Gottlieb. “I’ve had the pleasure of working with him over the years as a SAF trustee, and look forward to working with him more closely in his new role. Without a doubt, Mas Ayoob is true defender of the Second Amendment, and his devotion to protecting and advancing the right to keep and bear arms will be critical as we face new challenges.”

This is awesome!!!

Side note:
I have a funny story about that photo...

It was taken years ago in CT by a newspaper reporter doing a story on the LFI-1 class.
I took the class and was in the hotel classroom when it was taken.

The lighting was optimal and Massad has been using it since.

I highly recommend his classes.

Back at the time there was a great interest in armed self defense in CT due to the doctor whose family was killed in a home invasion.

The class is now called MAG-20 or MAG-40.

It was my first class taught by a big name instructor.
A great way to start my self defense and legal education.

Congrats to Massad at his new post!

Met him at the NE Regional IDPA championships years ago. I've never met a nicer guy. True, soft-spoken gentleman. Made an impression on me that lasted all this time.

I first met Mas at a presentation he did for AWARE, an anti-rape org created by a former co-worker at DEC, Nancy Bittle. She recruited a lot of us who were on the DEC Firearms Notesfile to attend. Very true, Mas is a rather laid back nice guy. I also met him and Dorothy (his ex-Wife) at one of the gun shows. Mas being LE and a staunch 2A guy is a big plus for SAF.

View attachment 395014

BELLEVUE, WA – -(AmmoLand.com)- Internationally-known firearms author and trainer Massad Ayoob has been named president of the Second Amendment Foundation, succeeding the late Joseph Tartaro.

Ayoob brings a lifetime of experience to the position. He served 19 years as chair of the Firearms Committee of the American Society of Law Enforcement Trainers, and several years as a member of the Advisory Board of the International Law Enforcement Educators and Trainers Association. In addition to teaching for those groups, he has also taught for the International Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors and the International Homicide Investigators seminars.

The winner of the Outstanding American Handgunner of the Year Award in 1998, Mas has won several state and regional handgun shooting championships. He was the first person to earn the title of Five Gun Master in the International Defensive Pistol Association. He has been handgun editor of GUNS magazine and law enforcement columnist for AMERICAN HANDGUNNER since the 1970s, and has published thousands of articles in gun magazines, martial arts publications, and law enforcement journals. He is the author of some twenty books on firearms, self-defense, and related topics, including “In the Gravest Extreme” and “Deadly Force,” widely considered to be authoritative texts on the topic of the use of lethal force.

He has received judicial recognition as an expert witness for the courts in weapons and shooting cases since 1979, and served as a fully sworn and empowered, part time police officer for 43 years, mostly at supervisor rank. Ayoob founded the Lethal Force Institute in 1981 and served as its director until 2009, and now trains through the Massad Ayoob Group.

He has appeared on CLE-TV delivering continuing legal education for attorneys, through the American Law Institute and American Bar Association, and has been retained to train attorneys to handle deadly force cases through the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network. Ayoob served for two years as co-vice chair of the Forensic Evidence Committee of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. He also appeared in each episode of Personal Defense TV (Sportsman’s Channel).
Can't think of a more-qualified person to lead this organization. Congrats, Mas!

Couldn't have happened to a bigger man. . . er, well, it easily could have but. . . . never mind. You know what I mean. ROFL!

Was this the same guy that posed the "Legality of Reloads in Self Defense" question?

And then just kind of walked away from it and let all the internet lawyers out there go back and forth without any real case documentation that in fact proved that someone was charged in a self defense situation or had their case dropped because of the use of reloads.

I love reading Mas.

But SAF has been a hardcore absolute 2A ass-kicking court case machine, while Mas has a tendency towards opining about "special ones" versus everyone else. It's understandable given his career, but if you get red-flagged, he's going to back the police who seize your guns.

He said he took the job after insisting that it was only until they could find a permanent replacement, and I believe him and respect that.

I love reading Mas.

But SAF has been a hardcore absolute 2A ass-kicking court case machine, while Mas has a tendency towards opining about "special ones" versus everyone else. It's understandable given his career, but if you get red-flagged, he's going to back the police who seize your guns.

He said he took the job after insisting that it was only until they could find a permanent replacement, and I believe him and respect that.

As a "cop" he's got that "cops first" mentality. I have cop buddies. It's like ingrained in them day-1. Sort of like every attorney goes through A-Hole 101 in their 2nd year in law school.

Just wish he had a name like Bill or Frank I always eff up the pronunciation...

I first met Mas at a presentation he did for AWARE, an anti-rape org created by a former co-worker at DEC, Nancy Bittle. She recruited a lot of us who were on the DEC Firearms Notesfile to attend. Very true, Mas is a rather laid back nice guy. I also met him and Dorothy (his ex-Wife) at one of the gun shows. Mas being LE and a staunch 2A guy is a big plus for SAF.
A friend of mine teaches with him, when he does classes in NH. I hope to sign up for a class the next time Mas is up here.

I dislike his special people first bent, but he is a good face to the organization and writes quite well.

I am late coming to the SAF after being a NRA Benefactor member for years. SAF is quite transparent about what they do and even have their tax submissions on their website.

I chose a random January date(the 20th) to donate $50 to them.

Back
Top Bottom