Massachusetts to Ban Newport Cigarettes

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Massachusetts House to vote on bill banning flavored tobacco products, including menthol, and taxing e-cigarettes
The Massachusetts House will vote Wednesday on a bill that would ban the sale of flavored tobacco products, including mint and menthol. The bill would also impose a 75% excise tax on all electronic cigarettes.

The bill was being voted on over email Monday evening by members of the House Ways and Means Committee. It is expected to be released from the committee Tuesday morning so lawmakers can propose amendments before Wednesday’s vote.

"Menthol is particularly popular among adults in the black community."

This is so racist.

THE LINK BETWEEN AFRICAN AMERICANS AND MENTHOL CIGARETTES

Tobacco companies target blacks with menthol as a form of genocide.

"Only retards and blacks smoke menthol cigarettes."

merlin_156681159_aea3c6df-690b-4441-ac1b-b12447fec33e-superJumbo.jpg

Connection discovered between menthol, oral sex, and sexually transmitted disease in black community.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Taxing e-cigs, just in time to end the ban on sales...
That’s what it was always about anyway. “We will increase the tax to discourage smoking!” If they really wanted to discourage it, make the tax $100 a pack. Nope, they raise it a quarter at a time to increase revenue and nobody quits.

amb

NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I thought we were supposed to be smoking Newports while we jump into our Ferrari convertible or we're doing NES wrong!

blindfire

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If the .gov doesn't treat e-Cigs the same as normal tobacco, then they are favoring one method of nicotine delivery over another. If you are going to tax the bajesus out of tobacco, then you need to do the same to e-cigs to be consistent.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
75% tax??? Sounds like, again, they aren't collecting enough cigarette taxes and need another revenue stream.

What a wonder 20+ years ago when they increased the taxes to start a cessation campaign. A couple of years later, the campaign was gaining serious ground in teh state. In fact, it was gaining so much ground that cigarette tax revenue was DROPPING LIKE A ROCK.

So the Brutally Honest And Loving Legislature took the money in order to both line its coffers more AND keep people smoking (and paying taxes).

bigben111435

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the solution!
Spray binaca on/in your vape or smoke.
Big tax on binaca to come next

bigben111435

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to single handedly bring the binaca market back with the amazing marketing idea i just laid out. You know, spray binaca on stuff then smoke it!

Yup my binaca empire is a golden goose

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if Camel Crush can get by on a technicality. They aren't menthol initially until the smoker actively crushes the capsule. It was oddly satisfying to snap those filters.

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I am going to single handedly bring the binaca market back with the amazing marketing idea i just laid out. You know, spray binaca on stuff then smoke it!

Yup my binaca empire is a golden goose
Your idea needs to go viral, just like eating Tide Pods.

This IS the answer to banning menthol.

If you get into binaca stock now, you'll be set for life.

kurtb

NES Member
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
This is exactly what I was saying is going to happen. The whole public health banning thing was BS because the state wasnt getting their "cut", and as half the cost of a pack of cigs was tax and cigs were losing market share... they needed a reason to get back into peoples pockets. What a crock of sh*t!

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If the .gov doesn't treat e-Cigs the same as normal tobacco, then they are favoring one method of nicotine delivery over another. If you are going to tax the bajesus out of tobacco, then you need to do the same to e-cigs to be consistent.
The proposed tax rate on e-cigs is 75%.
Given $9.43 is average cost of a pack of cigs in MA, and the state tax of $3.51 per pack, that means regular cigarettes are taxed a little over 37%. (~4th highest in the country).
The tax rate on cigars and smoking tobacco is 40% of wholesale, and the rate on chewing tobacco is 210% of wholesale.
Clearly certain forms of nicotine delivery are already favored over others.
The proposed tax rate on e-cigs would put it over twice as high as regular smokes, but nowhere near as high as chaw.
I don't have a personal dog in this fight because I find them all to be disgusting, unhealthy habits, but pretty clearly public health and safety is not the driving factor in MA tobacco tax rates.

rcwhat

NES Member
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
The tax rate is way higher than 37%. $3.51 is ~37% of $9.43 but thats the percent of the final price. Not percent of what the original good was taxed at. If you subtract the $3.51 and then get the percentage of that number it’s closer to 60% but that still doesn’t account for federal taxes. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the same 75%.
The proposed tax rate on e-cigs is 75%.
Given $9.43 is average cost of a pack of cigs in MA, and the state tax of $3.51 per pack, that means regular cigarettes are taxed a little over 37%. (~4th highest in the country).
The tax rate on cigars and smoking tobacco is 40% of wholesale, and the rate on chewing tobacco is 210% of wholesale.
Clearly certain forms of nicotine delivery are already favored over others.
The proposed tax rate on e-cigs would put it over twice as high as regular smokes, but nowhere near as high as chaw.
I don't have a personal dog in this fight because I find them all to be disgusting, unhealthy habits, but pretty clearly public health and safety is not the driving factor in MA tobacco tax rates.

Top Bottom