Massachusetts Rifle Association - Woburn, MA

Is anyone else considering not renewing their membership for the next year? I'm slightly on the fence (60% renew, 40% lapse) simply because ammo prices are so ridiculous that I cannot bear to shoot anything. However, I do support MRA (and their operating costs) and want to be ready to shoot after things return to normal. I'll probably renew, but the thought crossed my mind due to the current situation. Anyone else?

I thought about it but decided to keep it active. Would I have to go through orientation and testing again? Qualify for outdoor ranges again? Even if I didn't , I'm still trying to do SOME shooting (mostly .22) so it made sense to renew.

Is anyone else considering not renewing their membership for the next year? I'm slightly on the fence (60% renew, 40% lapse) simply because ammo prices are so ridiculous that I cannot bear to shoot anything. However, I do support MRA (and their operating costs) and want to be ready to shoot after things return to normal. I'll probably renew, but the thought crossed my mind due to the current situation. Anyone else?
I will renew no matter if I can't go due to ammo crisis.

While I am shooting much less lately due to the issues with ammo availability and cost, I still go occasionally. I appreciate everyone's budget is different but for me the cost is well worth it even if I don't go very often. A couple of pricey beers every month or 24x7 access to a range? Easy decision.

I thought about it but decided to keep it active. Would I have to go through orientation and testing again? Qualify for outdoor ranges again? Even if I didn't , I'm still trying to do SOME shooting (mostly .22) so it made sense to renew.
You have to totally start over if you let your membership lapse.

I was there Sunday and they said the waiting list is now out to Feb 21...kind of crazy. I liked the indoor range, couldn't really see much else as it was dark.

if it just ammo prices, pick up archery. arrows are reusable. prices go up and down. it is what they do. once they come down, you will need a place to shoot

im a new member at MRA (august 2020) and i think its a nice little club

24 hour access to the indoor 75ft range, where u can even shoot centerfire rifles

they have a requirement that u be a member for 6 months before u can take a qualification to use the outdoor 50 and 100/200 ranges

I wasn't overly impressed with the people at MRA but my only other reference point is Andover. When I got a tour a MRA it was with an older woman and man and he just kept talking over her, even when I asked her a question directly she would start and he would just but right in. I didn't like their answer on winter months either, he just said it's community-driven and most people don't remove snow so the outdoor ranges are not open unless some clears it. Andover has snow blowers and he said they're usually cleared in a day or two. The clubhouse in MRA also just felt old (I know it is) but what else are they doing with their dues?

I wasn't overly impressed with the people at MRA but my only other reference point is Andover. When I got a tour a MRA it was with an older woman and man and he just kept talking over her, even when I asked her a question directly she would start and he would just but right in. I didn't like their answer on winter months either, he just said it's community-driven and most people don't remove snow so the outdoor ranges are not open unless some clears it. Andover has snow blowers and he said they're usually cleared in a day or two. The clubhouse in MRA also just felt old (I know it is) but what else are they doing with their dues?

It’s a terrible club. You should look elsewhere.

Probably a member or someone on the waitlist who wants to keep the crowds down.
i live in MA for 23 years now, and i have an absolute certain feeling that for an absolute majority of any types of private clubs here, of any types of activities - they all are aimed at reducing their membership count, how it was brilliantly stated above - ' do not need an XXX as a member and seems it would even be better off without him'. :) it is pretty much universal.

even poor tom brady could not play damn golf at his country club, for how long? and if he was not worthy, then who the hell the rest of us are... :)

all kidding aside, it is what it is. heh, found a link, fits a bill 100%.
"applicants typically must be sponsored by two current club members and provide the admissions committee with testimonials from seven other people with whom the applicant has a personal relationship. Applicants also have to attend a cocktail reception at the club with members of the admissions committee "

Last edited:
Does anyone know what time orientation starts tomorrow? I believe 9:30AM but not sure and haven't been able to get anyone on the phone all week.
Regular Sunday office hours start at 9:30 so it seems like a decent bet. No hard knowledge though.

Office hours are 9:30-noon Sundays and 6-8pm Wednesdays. I think they try and check the phone messages, but outside of those hours email might be a better bet than calling.

Regular Sunday office hours start at 9:30 so it seems like a decent bet. No hard knowledge though.

Office hours are 9:30-noon Sundays and 6-8pm Wednesdays. I think they try and check the phone messages, but outside of those hours email might be a better bet than calling.
Thanks man. It says 9:30 on the reading material. Was just asking because I wasn’t sure if they’re impacted but w/e new stuff Baker rolled out.

MRA is a great place. But it has its limitations.

I am on the range rules committee and when we did the last review, I was determined to loosen things up. But frankly after considering the limitations of their indoor and outdoor ranges, most of the restrictions make sense.

The way I look at it, MRA is worth the $160 per year for just access to the Fazio and Loeb.
Its 15 minutes from my house and is open 7x24.

I'm also a member of HSC for another $160/yr (how can you beat that?). For when I've got a morning or afternoon to burn.

I just let my MRA membership lapse for 2021. I didn't go once in 2020 and spent more time going to my buddy's range - which is more to my liking with reactive targets and steel plates - and I will soon be a member there.

But I will say thanks to MRA for the last 10 years of membership though.
Just out of curiosity, what is the other club?

Just out of curiosity, what is the other club?
Westwood Gun Club.
MRA is a great place. But it has its limitations.

I am on the range rules committee and when we did the last review, I was determined to loosen things up. But frankly after considering the limitations of their indoor and outdoor ranges, most of the restrictions make sense.

The way I look at it, MRA is worth the $160 per year for just access to the Fazio and Loeb.
Its 15 minutes from my house and is open 7x24.

I'm also a member of HSC for another $160/yr (how can you beat that?). For when I've got a morning or afternoon to burn.
Didn't they prohibit shooting from 10pm to 5am on the Loeb range after Baker's ridiculous curfew? I know that put a hair across a few members butts.

is it still open? i though it got closed back in 2008? it is right in the middle of the sub-division now, right? with houses all around it?
From their web site, it appears there still open and accepting members. There is a subdivision on the other side of the street from them, but appears to be well in the woods compared to MRA. :)

Westwood Gun Club.

Didn't they prohibit shooting from 10pm to 5am on the Loeb range after Baker's ridiculous curfew? I know that put a hair across a few members butts.
Right now the facility is closed from 9:30PM to 05:00AM per state order. I’m sure it put a hair across some members butts, of course with that many members, you’re never going to make everyone happy.

is it still open? i though it got closed back in 2008? it is right in the middle of the sub-division now, right? with houses all around it?
Nope still open. Been going there with my buddy since last Jan/Feb. They have strict sunset cease fire rules because of the sub division that decided to pop up right next to it.
Right now the facility is closed from 9:30PM to 05:00AM per state order. I’m sure it put a hair across some members butts, of course with that many members, you’re never going to make everyone happy
Of course. It is what it is. The curfew didn't even bother me much. I can't remember the last time I went shooting late at night - I would def do that if a range allowed low light night vision shooting.

For me, the lack of reactive targets and plates for both pistol and rifle was what drew me away from reupping my membership.

Nope still open. Been going there with my buddy since last Jan/Feb. They have strict sunset cease fire rules because of the sub division that decided to pop up right next to it.

Of course. It is what it is. The curfew didn't even bother me much. I can't remember the last time I went shooting late at night - I would def do that if a range allowed low light night vision shooting.

For me, the lack of reactive targets and plates for both pistol and rifle was what drew me away from reupping my membership.
Crazy, I just looked on google maps, somebody got a pool like 50ft away from range backstop. I guess those folks like popping sounds.

Westwood Gun Club.

True, but that is a temporary thing. Anyone who gets pissed off at that really needs to grow up.

That means you can use Loeb 5 am to 10 pm, 7 days a week.

Back
Top Bottom